This is a pretty simple build for a dual-wielding Barbarian focused on interrupting and debuffing enemies. It still does pretty good damage thanks to tons of crits, making it a solid all-around frontliner. Nothing new for experienced players, I suspect, but a solid build for which I haven't seen a guide on these forums.

===================================
Interrupt Barbarian
===================================
Difficulty: PotD
--------------------------------------------------------------
Class: Barbarian
Race: Hearth Orlan®
Background: The White that Wends - Explorer
Stats:

MIG: 10
CON: 10
DEX: 15 ®
PER: 21 (!)
INT: 15 ®
RES: 7
Skills: Stealth 2, Athletics 6, Lore 10, Survival 8
Abilities/Talents (a=auto, !=important, r=recommended):
Carnage (a)
Frenzy (!)
Threatening Presence (!)
Brute Force
Savage Defiance ®
Barbaric Yell
One Stands Alone
Barbaric Retaliation
Dragon Leap

Weapon Focus Peasant(!)
Apprentice's Sneak Attack
Accurate Carnage(!)
Two Weapon Style(!)
Stalwart Defiance
Greater Frenzy
Interrupting Blows(!)
Veteran's Recovery

---------------------------------------------------------------
Items (* = additional echantments by me; ! = essential, r = recommended):

Weapon set 1: Vile Loner's Lance(Legendary, Durgan-Refined, Lash), Cladhaliath(Stunning enchantment, Superb, Durgan-Refined, Lash)
Weapon Set 2: Hatchets for defense and slashing damage; I had Reghar Konnek and the Unlabored Blade by the end of the game

Boots: Fenwalkers

Head: Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil (not really highly recommended)

Armor: Vengiatta Rugia

Neck: Cloak of Comfort

Belt: Girdle of Maegfolc Might

Rings: Ring of Thorns & Ring of Deflection (since the build's deflection is terrible anyway, switching out the Ring of Deflection is probably a good idea. Overseeing or an Int boost would be good)

Hands: Gauntlets of Swift Action
---------------------------------------------------------------
The items should not be considered an optimal set; the spears and gauntlets are the only things I feel particularly strongly about. Vengiatta Rugia is quite good here, but anything relatively light will do for armor (you need 20% or less armor penalty achieve 0 recovery when frenzied). Similarly, most of the abilities are fairly unimportant; you definitely want Frenzy for the attack speed and Threatening Presence for a debuff aura, but the rest are a matter of preference. The talents are more important; Veteran's Recovery is the only one I would strongly consider switching. If you're willing to spend Durgan on your armor, Vulnerable Attack would be a tempting option, further boosting damage while still allowing 0 recovery with a robe or near 0 recovery with padded armor.

The primary goal of this build is to use Carnage to spread as many interrupts and debuffs as possible. As a bonus, you can do quite a bit of damage thanks to excellent crit potential thanks to high perception, the spear accuracy bonus, Disorienting from the Vile Loner's Lance, and hit-to-crit conversion (20% from Durgan weapons, 10% when the Orlan racial applies, 20% more if you bring a priest). Vengiatta Rugia and Apprentice's Sneak Attack add more damage under the right conditions. All those crits also help with interrupts, as you get a +25 bonus to interrupt on crits (and a -25 malus on grazes). Dungeon Delver and The Mercilless Hand are highly recommended given all those crits.

Attack speed is important to keeping enemies interrupted or stunned: without frenzy, you have about 50% recovery, reduced by good Dex. When frenzying, you hit 0 recovery (1.15 (Durgan) * 1.15 (Durgan) * 1.15 (Gauntlets of Swift Action) * 1.33 (Frenzy) + .2 (Two-weapon style) - .2 (armor) = 2.02).

For attributes, Perception is by far the most important and should be maxed; Dex and Int are the next most important. Once you get your spears, you are good enough at debuffing, stunning, and interrupting to be pretty durable on the front line even with bad deflection and mediocre endurance; you could easily drop Con and/or Res a bit to boost your offensive abilities. If you're OK with not doing much damage, you could dump Might to boost either Dex and Int (to emphasize the interrupting/debuffing side of things) or Con and Res for a tankier build. You could also make Dex less important by keeping Alacrity potions around to sustain 0 recovery even when Frenzy wears off, freeing up some of those points as well. Basically, as long as your perception is high, you'll be fine. Relatedly, races with a perception boost have a major advantage, as interrupt is one of the harder attributes to boost outside of stats; this makes non-Orlan races less than optimal.

For skills, my goal was to get 8 Survival for the second level healing boost, 10 Lore for scrolls and dialogue, and some Athletics to make Second Wind somewhat useful. None of these are essential, though.
  • Like 2

Nice!

You crafted and refined a build idea which I was thinking of from time to time. But I never had the time to do a playthrough with such a barb. I'm sure this works nicely. And the best thing is that you can get those spears early.

I would recommend the Executioner's Hood (looks good with the Wayfarer's Hide) for the head slot - it has a frightening aura and that lowers enemies' concentration even further. You could skip Barbaric Yell then.

Your best friends wil be priests with Painful Interdiction & Crowns for the Faithful, a Wizard with Expose Vuln. and a chanter with "Stumbling o'er words" and that Zephyr Poleaxe. :) 

You should write a PM to AndreaColumbo since he's manageing the class build index.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I play a similar barbarien at the moment.

My stats are: mig:3, con:9, dex:18, per:21, int:18, res:9

I play on hard (not PotD). I took weapom focus soldier for war hammers.

Though I have 2 weapon fighting, I used tall grass most of the time because other chars (Zahua, Pallegina, Itumaak) are so good in blocking the path that he has often problems to get to the enemy :sweat: 

Nice!

You crafted and refined a build idea which I was thinking of from time to time. But I never had the time to do a playthrough with such a barb. I'm sure this works nicely. And the best thing is that you can get those spears early.

I would recommend the Executioner's Hood (looks good with the Wayfarer's Hide) for the head slot - it has a frightening aura and that lowers enemies' concentration even further. You could skip Barbaric Yell then.

Your best friends wil be priests with Painful Interdiction & Crowns for the Faithful, a Wizard with Expose Vuln. and a chanter with "Stumbling o'er words" and that Zephyr Poleaxe. :)

You should write a PM to AndreaColumbo since he's manageing the class build index.

I definitely lifted some ideas from some of your posts on the topic. Also, the template  :biggrin:

I missed the Hood this time through, but that's a great suggestion. Barbaric Yell was useful early, but I pretty much stopped using it by the middle levels. As an aura, though, Frightened has a lot to offer. 

Another weapon set possibility is Mosquito and Daenysis rapiers. Their interrupt values are slightly lower than Vile Loner and Clad, but they are also faster so it is pretty much the same. (Both should be lashed, refined, enchanted of course).

Mosquito brings endurance drain to the table (you can also do this with Clad) and Daenysis brings speed enchant that is very good with your build. You could even grab vulnerable attack or bigger armor.

I'm not claiming it's better, just that it should work too.

Noble weapon using barbarian open interesting background possibilities.

The rapiers definitely seem like a good option.

Strike Hard and Godansthunyr are another nice pair: they have the disorienting+stunning combination of the spears. You lose the accuracy bonus from the spears, but you gain a Might bonus, a speed weapon, and the best of two damage types.

In both of those cases, having a speed weapon in one hand makes Vulnerable Attack really attractive.

• Like 1

Right! Strike Hard + Godansthunyr may be the best pair for this. The looks is good (not as weird as two spears or rapiers), they complement each other well like Vile Loner's and stunning Cladhaliath as you said and both cause longer interrupts than normal (1 sec + 0.75 sec). I think Cladhaliath only does 0.5 sec. The two damage types are also a great plus. Only thing is: they come so late. Maybe one could start with the spears and then retrain in Act III.

I tried a Vile Loner build once with a durgan reinforced shield and the attack speed is high enough to interrupt-lock mobs.

Does someone have a complete list of weapon with Higher interrupt than normal ?

I know about :

- Mosquito (0.75s instead of 0.35)

- Vile Loner (1s instead of 0.5)

- Strike Hard (1s instead of 0.5, is it right Boeroer ?)

- Godansthunyr (0.75s instead of 0.5, is it right Boeroer ?)

Of course, there's also all Moningstars and Abydon's hammer, but that is their weapon type inherent property.

As far as I know it's either Shatterstar or Strike Hard that has the interrupt bonus. Not both. Can't remember which one it is. So if it's Shatterstar (which would be nice because you can get it so early) you can take Strike Hard off the list.

So, after checking in-game, the complete list is :

- Mosquito (0.75s instead of 0.35)

- Vile Loner (1s instead of 0.5)

- Shatterstar (1s instead of 0.5)

- Godansthunyr (0.75s instead of 0.5)

There's also all Moningstars and Abydon's hammer, but that is their weapon type inherent property.

Strike Hard is only 0.5s, but it's still an excellent weapon.

Just Figured what St. Wygelt's Cudgel "Persecuting effect" actually did.

It applies a -5 Resolve Debuff and a +5 Deflection Buff on yourself on Hit or Crit (no throw).

-5 Resolve probably doesn't stack with similar debuff, buf is a bit superior even to Terror.

If not stacked, it means -15 Concentration and -5 Deflection for your ennemy, which seems very handy for any interrupt build.

You don't even have to be on your barbarian.

And as Concentration Debuff and Resolve are not the same effect, it probably stack with Concentration Debuff like Zephyr.

I thought it could be a good idea for this build. 

Edited by Elric Galad

Yes, it stacks. I tried that and also brought a chanter with that Zephyr-Poleaxe and the concentration-debuff-chant.

There's also a late game item that that gives you +15 interrupt. I forgot what exactly it was. a ring - or a belt? Can't remember... :(

Edit: I do now remember that it was a pair of gloves. :)

Edited by Boeroer

There's also a late game item that that gives you +15 interrupt. I forgot what exactly it was. a ring - or a belt? Can't remember... :(

Edit: I do now remember that it was a pair of gloves. :)

Mournful gloves? It is an after-kill effect though if i remember correctly.

• 6 months later...

I'm struggling with this build.

I am getting destroyed by mobs.

I'm only level 4 and have reached Caed Nua but mobs are killing this really fast.

I am in a party with Eder, Aloth and Durance on hard setting.

I position this character to be behind Eder but ahead of the mage and priest, but mobs are still swarming me and killing this barbarian fast.

What am I doing wrong?

Clearly I don't as yet have most of the listed gear.

A Barbarian at that point in the game should probably use a pike. or armor up (brigandine/plate/breastplate) and use whatever Fine weapons you can get. Dual swords are pretty good, with Whispers of Yenwood in one hand, Fine Sword from Temple of Eothas in the other. Make sure you have Vulnerable Attack, go to town. You should be able to cut through enemies like butter. 

Make sure you always use Edér's knockdown, give Durance the Holy Radiance talent that gives it +10 Accuracy, use Arcane Assault to Daze all enemies, always. 

Or you could get Azureith's Stiletto and do Jolting Touch Carnage attacks to make everything explode. Personally, I prefer dual swords and heavy armor. 

Finally, I'd dump Perception compared to the statline in here at this point. It's just not needed yet. I'd probably have the following: 

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 10

PER 16

INT 16

RES 8

Will give you good offence, good AoE, and with dual wield + heavy armor, you're fast and sturdy enough. 

A Barbarian at that point in the game should probably use a pike. or armor up (brigandine/plate/breastplate) and use whatever Fine weapons you can get. Dual swords are pretty good, with Whispers of Yenwood in one hand, Fine Sword from Temple of Eothas in the other. Make sure you have Vulnerable Attack, go to town. You should be able to cut through enemies like butter. 

Make sure you always use Edér's knockdown, give Durance the Holy Radiance talent that gives it +10 Accuracy, use Arcane Assault to Daze all enemies, always. 

Or you could get Azureith's Stiletto and do Jolting Touch Carnage attacks to make everything explode. Personally, I prefer dual swords and heavy armor. 

Finally, I'd dump Perception compared to the statline in here at this point. It's just not needed yet. I'd probably have the following: 

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 10

PER 16

INT 16

RES 8

Will give you good offence, good AoE, and with dual wield + heavy armor, you're fast and sturdy enough. 

Hi, thanks, but I thought this char was about speed and interrupts?

Putting on that heavy armour will decrease weapon swing speed surely?

Really not sure how perception works, but I followed this template to the letter as far as I could given my journey into the game thus far.

As I wrote elsewhere, I was looking for a melee DPS character with some durability. The barbarian in this template cannot withstand any attacks as it has such little defences and gets overwhelmed really fast.

Maybe I need to try a different type of build or class?

It's about speed, but without the really cool weapons to take advantage of speed + large AoE, this build is mildly dead in the water. It's better to use a more standard damage-dealer at that point, partly because enemies won't live long enough for debuffs to matter hugely, and partly because heavy armor is better early game than late game. So yeah, I stand by my suggestions up there. Respec out of it when you get to Defiance Bay, as you'll get access to stuff like Vile Loner's Lance at that point. 

And dual wield + heavy armor is plenty fast. So just try slapping on some heavy armor before you give up. It's an easy change that can do wonders. 

Edit: And yeah, this build does have DPS, but not tons of it. It's more of a melee CC build than a DPS one. Consider a different build if you want DPS, especially early on. 

Edited by Greensleeve