PoE wont start.

nicklas_

Question

Hello, my Pillars Of Eternity wont start. Running manjaro (arch based), and using primusrun %command% to run it with my nvida card (optimus laptop), but it wont even start. Using the same for all the other games, works fine with them. What to do? Is this some bug? Should i do a refund, or should i wait for bugfix? Really want to play this game. For you guys that it works for in linux, what dist are you using? I am pretty sure this is game specific too, a bug in the game, since i play wasteland 2, also tried cactus demo, and they use the same engine (unity), but poe uses a different version I think. Is this the problem, or is it something else, anybody knows? And is a bugfix on the way or not? If not, I want to do a refund, since I can't play the game at all.

4 answers to this question

Do you get any feedback if you run 'primusrun ./PillarsOfEternity' in a console, from Pillars of Eternity installation directory?

If so, could you post it here so we can have a look at it?

I honestly would be *very* surprised if PoE can’t run on Optimus-based hardware.

A couple extra informations that might help resolve your issue:

• What’s the version of your game? (3.02? an older one?)
  • Is it a GOG or Steam version? Or the DRM-free backer DVD?
  • What is the exact model of your nVIDIA card?

Hello, I have a similar problem : last time I played PoE (a year ago), primusrun worked just fine. I just installed the last version (3.02.1008), and now it crashes right away, with the following output :

bastien@Arya ~/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity $ primusrun ./start.sh
Running Pillars of Eternity
Set current directory to /home/bastien/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity/game
Found path: /home/bastien/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity
Mono path[0] = '/home/bastien/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/bastien/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/bastien/Jeux/Pillars-of-Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/etc'
support/gog_com.shlib: line 94:  4656 Aborted                 ./"${bin_64}"

It seems that something goes wrong in the execute_game function in support/gog_com.shlib, but I don't understand what. Also the number before "Aborted" changes each time, and they seem to be increasing : the last ones were 4366, 4437, 4509, 4656, 4760.

Strangely enough, once in a while it works and the game starts.

I precise that I have the GOG version under Linux Mint Cinnamon, and my graphic card is a GeForce GT 730M, with the latest driver (nvidia-352).

If anyone has an idea about what is going on...

Hello, I have a similar problem : last time I played PoE (a year ago), primusrun worked just fine. I just installed the last version (3.02.1008), and now it crashes right away, with the following output

(…)

I precise that I have the GOG version under Linux Mint Cinnamon, and my graphic card is a GeForce GT 730M, with the latest driver (nvidia-352).

You might want to give a try to an installation method tailored with love for Debian and derivatives like Mint ;)

Install PoE & extensions on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/etc.