Update #106: New Obsidian Game Announced!

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

Hey, everyone. We have lots of goodies for you today. In this backer update we will talk about our latest game Update (3.02), show you a GDC presentation by our Game Director, Josh, and introduce you to Obsidian's recently announced new project.

I'll just get right into it.

Announcing Tyranny - Obsidian's Newest RPG

At GDC 2016, Obsidian and Paradox announced our upcoming title, Tyranny!

tyranny.jpg

Tyranny is a different take on the classic RPG story, where evil is victorious and you are, more or less willingly, a part of the conquering army. You have power in this world; lots of it, and your choices matter. Choice and consequence are core to the game and it has a branching narrative that ensures each game will be different. Learn more about Tyranny!

Pillars of Eternity Update 3.02

Today is the release of our latest game Update, 3.02. It is currently live on Steam and will be up on GoG and Origin within a day. This Update contains hundreds of great fixes and, if you haven't played Pillars in a while, it's a great time to jump back in.

Here are some of the major fixes:

• Fixed an issue where some player's game would reset after completing The White March - Part I.
  • Fixed an issue where some players couldn't activate the White Forge or enter Durgan's Battery.
  • Fixed an issue with the final Eyeless Scripted Interaction becoming stuck if you selected yourself.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would get stuck at the Caed Nua End Slide.
  • Fixed multiple issues where some players received black screens on load/transitioning.

For the full notes please head over to the Obsidian Forums and check them out.

Josh's GDC Talk

Last week our Game Director, Josh Sawyer, gave a talk about attributes in Pillars of Eternity. The talk, Gods and Dumps: Attribute Tuning in Pillars of Eternity, gave an in depth look into the history of attributes in RPGs and how that history guided our decisions in Pillars of Eternity. If you are interested in Pillars and the systems of the game, you shouldn't miss it.

If you would like to see the slides from the talk you can get them here (PDF Warning).

Kingdom

kingdom-header.jpg

Our friends at Raw Fury have just launched a sale on their first title, Kingdom, an award-winning and IGF nominated sidescrolling strategy game that has enamored thousands of kings and queens with its pixelated charm, simplistic design, and brutally challenging and addictive gameplay. It's 50% off right now, making it just $5, and with 83% positive ratings on Steam it can't be that bad.

Play the role of a king or queen atop their horse and enter a procedurally generated realm primed to sustain a kingdom, then toss gold to peasants and turn them into your loyal subjects in order to make your kingdom flourish. Protect your domain at night from the greedy creatures looking to steal your coins and crown, and explore the nearby, mysterious forests to discover curious and cryptic artifacts to aid your kingdom.

You can check out the trailer here.

• Like 10

Tyranny sounds curious. I'll be following it.

I really like the world map aesthetic a lot.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

when the card game will be released  posted? i've paid for this part of the kickstarter pack, and nothing yet... p,s, i don't play computer games since a loooooooooooooooooong time, so i kinda don't care about that part...

thx

the delayed,

DEATHEUX

Announcing Tyranny - Obsidian's Newest RPG

At GDC 2016, Obsidian and Paradox announced our upcoming title, Tyranny!

Tyranny is a different take on the classic RPG story, where evil is victorious and you are, more or less willingly, a part of the conquering army. You have power in this world; lots of it, and your choices matter. Choice and consequence are core to the game and it has a branching narrative that ensures each game will be different. Learn more about Tyranny!

Is it just me, or is there not really much more at all to "learn" about Tyranny at that site? It's almost like false advertising at this point. :p

Or maybe I'm just spoiled from Kickstarted games.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Can already see the patch on my GoG account. That was fast! :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Great news! :)

Really happy to hear about a new game. Shame it will probably be a Steam exclusive.

Hope not. I probably won't buy it if it is a steam only release. GOG or probably nothing for me.

• Like 1

Probably not for a few weeks at the minimum. The programmers are tied up with some stuff right now, but once they are freed up we will have someone go through and generate the updates.

I’m still volunteering to build and publish *unofficial* patches for the DVD version (Linux only, as I don’t own the other OS this DVD is compatible with):

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82502-linuxgog-unofficial-patches/?do=findComment&comment=1794105

But I’ll wait for Obsidian agreement before going on with this project, it would be quite a waste of time to build them if you don’t want me to share them afterwards ;)

• Like 1

Is this game also going to based on an anti-theist world? 

Well?

Only the highest, highest level of detail has been provided about the game thus far, and I assume a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a publisher in the picture this time. It might be a while before you get any information about the religious leanings of the game world.

We still don't even know if this is going to be a real time vs. turn based game, 2D vs. 3D, Isometric vs. some other perspective. We're a powerful evil guy though... so likely not going to be making attending Sunday morning church services too great of a priority. :p

Is this game also going to based on an anti-theist world? 

Well?

Only the highest, highest level of detail has been provided about the game thus far, and I assume a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a publisher in the picture this time. It might be a while before you get any information about the religious leanings of the game world.

We still don't even know if this is going to be a real time vs. turn based game, 2D vs. 3D, Isometric vs. some other perspective. We're a powerful evil guy though... so likely not going to be making attending Sunday morning church services too great of a priority. :p

Well the Devs, surely know, they can say either 'Yes' or 'No' to what I asked, not asking them to divulge any more than that.......

Honestly, not looking forward to suffer any pontification from Josh and his people about their personal convictions, this time around.........PoE final act was a bad enough experience already....

There is nothing wrong with being evil, I have played evil characters in other RPGs and served evil gods and enjoyed it very much but my problem is when someone start shouting their personal convictions in my ear, pushing me into the dark narrow corridors of their personal ideologies with no windows or doors to an alternate or opposing thought system. PoE final act was literally a horror in this regard, definitely not looking forward to go through such horror all over again.......

That is why I asked what I asked and would sure love to know the answer with either a 'Yes' or a 'No', don't care about any details.

Edited by Brimsurfer

It's RTWP

Tons of info on what we know so far here along with some links to write ups from gaming mags/sites

This is great. Just wondering why the hell one needs to consult unofficial sources to obtain this information. The mind boggles.