search the builds forum for a thread named "Attack speed 2.0"; it has all the answers you seek and more, including calculation examples of how to reach 0 recovery.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Multiplied, except those from talents that are additive.

Penalties are additive.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No reason was officially provided; however, attack speed has a limit past which it can't go, whereas damage bonuses can easily exceed 100%. Making damage multiplicative would be nasty. Speed, on the other hand, is good as is: This way you have a chance to cap it, if you so desire.

attack speed has a limit past which it can't go

Arrgh Andrea this is killing me. And thanks Obsidian for this...

I mean we still have to use two "vocabularies". One being in context from tooltips. And another one internal (with attack and recovery phase durations).

Pedant mode:

/mode on

Technically we can say:

* Attack speed percentage bonuses have a limit. Or:

* Attack speed percentage bonuses when stacked do not provide any extra past 100% gain. (referring to att.spd. bonuses from tooltips)

* Recovery_phase_duration cannot be reduced below zero. (Technically recovery_phase_speed is infinite?)

* And same for attack_phase_duration. (Technically attack_phase_speed has no limit)

/ mode off

Hmmmm, why +damage is additive but attack speed is multiplied? That sounds inconsistent.

Damage coefficients from Might, were intended to stack additively, as seen from this presentation slides. The idea behind this was to leave more room for the stat analysis and fiddling around. And tbh this goal was achieved. The more I played the more I was re-evaluating the ways of how to optimize/adjust it for my build. Also it reflects nicely the relation between rogue and a fighter. While the first will hit for lower values with regular attacks, he will hit like a truck with deathblows and the quota of Might can be negligible. I.e. maxing it outright is not a no-brainer like in many of DnD cases.

Damage coefficients from Crits, perhaps were intended to be applied multiplicatively. At least when asked by Andrea, Josh answered just that. Tbh I find this quite hilarious. But... it seems that at some point, devs decided to just make all damage coefficients to stack additively and probably Josh has forgotten about this. But in the end... consistency is actually a good thing.

Now, why is attack speed stacking multiplicatively? Don't even get me started on that. It's a mess. Officially undocumented mess. It looks like they had several different ideas of implementation. In the alpha they have picked one approach. And than they ditched it for another. Not to mention all the confusion caused by interchangeable use of 'attack' and 'recovery'.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, why +damage is additive but attack speed is multiplied? That sounds inconsistent.

Don't try to make sense of things in this game, there is just so much out of place.......just play it with your mind's eye closed.

Edited by Brimsurfer