Can they just release the game already? They can keep using the recent reason they delayed it yet again to keep delaying it. They'll finish up this round of suggestions, get to a week out of the new launch date, then say "Oh, we had some more suggestions that we want to look at, so we're going to push it back AGAIN." The more they keep pulling this crap, the less excited I keep getting for it. Just release the game, take suggestions into consideration on the expansions. Gah!

Can they just release the game already? They can keep using the recent reason they delayed it yet again to keep delaying it. They'll finish up this round of suggestions, get to a week out of the new launch date, then say "Oh, we had some more suggestions that we want to look at, so we're going to push it back AGAIN." The more they keep pulling this crap, the less excited I keep getting for it. Just release the game, take suggestions into consideration on the expansions. Gah!

Or just be patient. Engage with any one of the endless options for entertainment in the meantime. And trust the people who do this for a living when a delay like this pops up?

Edited by trashmyego
  • Like 2

Or just be patient. Engage with any one of the endless options for entertainment in the meantime. And trust the people who do this for a living when a delay like this pops up?

Trust me, we didn't make this decision lightly and we want to give you all the best possible game! There was lots of discussion on it and debating, and possibly throwing things at Flounder, ultimately the decision was made so we could bring in more features and polish it'll be well worth the wait! 

• Like 3

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

A bad release is bad forever. A delayed release is only delayed a bit. Please...do what you think is best.

On a side note..how do you guys think the openness of betas and discussion from the players and more interaction between the developer and the public has changed game development?

• Like 2

They always do the same,

Unrealistic release dates come mostly from  poorly managed iterations. I have to admit I saw it coming, since they were not able to finish one single game on twitch because of bugs.

Please, don't provide another date if you know you wont be able to fix all those bugs on time.

Betraying release dates over and over hurts more than bugs sometimes.

A bad release is bad forever. A delayed release is only delayed a bit. Please...do what you think is best.

On a side note..how do you guys think the openness of betas and discussion from the players and more interaction between the developer and the public has changed game development?

That...is actually a really good question. My background has a lot of psychology of play in it, its always surprising to me to see the reactions of players to what we have built versus the data coming in and studies I have worked with.  I'll be open in that I was brought on to the team later so, the open interaction has been really helpful for me for figuring out 'Okay is this really working as intended or are we just thinking it is?'

• Like 3

That...is actually a really good question. My background has a lot of psychology of play in it, its always surprising to me to see the reactions of players to what we have built versus the data coming in and studies I have worked with. I'll be open in that I was brought on to the team later so, the open interaction has been really helpful for me for figuring out 'Okay is this really working as intended or are we just thinking it is?'

Please ignore my last post...stupid fingers miss clicking when I was trying to use a quote .

Anyway I was commenting on LadyKaieta's reply to my question. I can see huge benefits in an open dialog between developer and mainstream players...as long as it's possible to ignore some of the "noise" that comes with such an open forum.

But I agree in that sometimes you get so caught up in making something one way, it's very easy to overlook what might be a better way. Sometimes the fresh outlook is a great thing.

They always do the same,

Unrealistic release dates come mostly from  poorly managed iterations. I have to admit I saw it coming, since they were not able to finish one single game on twitch because of bugs.

Please, don't provide another date if you know you wont be able to fix all those bugs on time.

Your arm-chairing is adorable! Such a pessimistic cloud hangs over you, and not even an objective one. Just a blanket of alienation and assumptions that paint you in a pretty ugly, yet oddly cute, light. You may want to see a doctor if you're actually hurt by the fluidity of release dates or the existence of bugs in the programs you use, that sounds like an interesting new disorder and it might need to be studied clinically for future generations! 

I'll never understand the position of gamers who suppose to understand the inner workings of development and universally apply it. Especially when those suppositions always revolve around deception and incompetence, something that apparently exists within every single development process! It couldn't just be an symptom of programming, no! It's the evil of the creators, withholding from the users and doing everything in their power to inconvenience the innocent little gamer underclass. All they want is content, but all they'll ever be is victim to tyranny! The vanity is staggering, and really depressing. 

Edited by trashmyego
  • Like 3

They always do the same,

Your arm-chairing is adorable! Such a pessimistic cloud hangs over you, and not even an objective one. Just a blanket of alienation and assumptions that paint you in a pretty ugly, yet oddly cute, light. You may want to see a doctor if you're actually hurt by the fluidity of release dates or the existence of bugs in the programs you use, that sounds like an interesting new disorder and it might need to be studied clinically for future generations! 

I'll never understand the position of gamers who suppose to understand the inner workings of development and universally apply it. Especially when those suppositions always revolve around deception and incompetence, something that apparently exists within every single development process! It couldn't just be an symptom of programming, no! It's the evil of the creators, withholding from the users and doing everything in their power to inconvenience the innocent little gamer underclass. All they want is content, but all they'll ever be is victim to tyranny! The vanity is staggering, and really depressing. 

I understand your point about armchairing and doomsaying, but in counter, there is always the threat of vaporware.  The chances of this happening are vanishingly small, it's a relatively high profile project as far as iOS board games go, people are getting hands on with a beta build, etc.  By the same token, repeated delays add up and hurt confidence.  When I read the news regarding the March delay, I took it in stride.  If we get to April 21st and get another delay, that's going to cause a pretty substantial amount of concern.  Regardless of whether they set the release date deadline or someone else does, the ability to complete projects in a timely way matters, even when its entertainment.  It doesn't have to be high drama to be disappointing, and that's a dangerous emotion pre-release.

• Like 2

They always do the same,

Hi,

Sorry I'm not english speaker, so my rhetoric won't be so shinny. I'm not as self righteous as you anyway...

Maybe my reaction for the delay of this product is too much, I won't argue on that; it just called my attention the fact that everyone was so pleased and understanding on that announcement 1 week before release date, without going much further into details. Where I come from, if I don't handle what it's expected of me on time, I'll be whipped. Hard. And there are usually consequences. Providing inabarcable deployment dates is, now and always, a project manager's fault. Objectively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_and_incremental_development

But hey, I'll just go to my boss and tell him "Hi! you won't get it until next month, you know, s*** happens!". After that I'd definetly have to visit doctor.

Not my intention to troll here whatsoever, just a light scolding; all I really wish is that they come out with something I can spend my money gladly on, while sticking to their own schedule.

Kind regards.

I'm new here. But, I just had to join the community to say that the best part of this response is that it was made by someone with the username "trashmyego".

They always do the same,

Hi,

Sorry I'm not english speaker, so my rhetoric won't be so shinny. I'm not as self righteous as you anyway...

Maybe my reaction for the delay of this product is too much, I won't argue on that; it just called my attention the fact that everyone was so pleased and understanding on that announcement 1 week before release date, without going much further into details. Where I come from, if I don't handle what it's expected of me on time, I'll be whipped. Hard. And there are usually consequences. Providing inabarcable deployment dates is, now and always, a project manager's fault. Objectively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_and_incremental_development

But hey, I'll just go to my boss and tell him "Hi! you won't get it until next month, you know, s*** happens!". After that I'd definetly have to visit doctor.

Not my intention to troll here whatsoever, just a light scolding; all I really wish is that they come out with something I can spend my money gladly on, while sticking to their own schedule.

Kind regards.

I did a few years in rapid iteration development for mobile and web applications along with SCRUM and AGILE production. An interesting complexity caused by games is the fact that while the basic needs and systems in a mobile/web application are well documented and easily replicated over and over, games are much less predictable. This coupled with the fact that the individual features of most games are as complex as entire applications leads to unpredictability in development.

A great example is games with chat functions, you have entire mobile applications JUST for that with teams the size of entire game studios, and that is just one of probably 100+ features in a game.  Those apps have delays in patches and releases too! Now apply that to 100+ features that size with a team the size of 1 of those application (or smaller many times) and even with the best momentum tracking etc things get delayed.

One of the greatest joys of getting to do what I do is getting to create worlds for other people to enjoy but, it takes time, mistakes are made, and in making the best game possible sometimes this requires we delay it. 

• Like 1

They always do the same,

Hi,

Kind regards.

I did a few years in rapid iteration development for mobile and web applications along with SCRUM and AGILE production. An interesting complexity caused by games is the fact that while the basic needs and systems in a mobile/web application are well documented and easily replicated over and over, games are much less predictable. This coupled with the fact that the individual features of most games are as complex as entire applications leads to unpredictability in development.

A great example is games with chat functions, you have entire mobile applications JUST for that with teams the size of entire game studios, and that is just one of probably 100+ features in a game.  Those apps have delays in patches and releases too! Now apply that to 100+ features that size with a team the size of 1 of those application (or smaller many times) and even with the best momentum tracking etc things get delayed.

One of the greatest joys of getting to do what I do is getting to create worlds for other people to enjoy but, it takes time, mistakes are made, and in making the best game possible sometimes this requires we delay it. 

This is totally understandable. Although having been playing the beta, yes there are bugs but the game is already in a very good state in most regards. And assuming that beta 3 is even more stable (hopefully we will get to see that soon) I would hope the devs will think long and hard before even considering to delay it again past the new release date.

• Like 1

It's really interesting to see the different reactions to this news in different places. Here and on the Paizo forums, there's a lot of anger. But when the iOS Board Games blog made this announcement on BoardGameGeek, the most overwhelmingly upvoted comments were:

Good for them. Beta tester feedback that's listened to? A good thing.

Good! Listening to beta testers is something this space desperately needs.

Thumbs up for actually listening to the testers and doing the right thing.

• Like 2

Hi,

Kind regards.

You're not their boss. It's an interesting reaction, to take the manner in which you're treated in your own workplace and assume it's applicable, as a complete stranger, towards people who owe you nothing. You can refer to me as self-righteous, but that wasn't my intention at all - more of a playful scolding, if you know what I mean? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Game development is very different than  other forms of entertainment and media. One of the big game publishing companies, can't remember which one off the top of my head, had a CEO a while back that came from the movie industry. His thoughts were such that if we can make a movie and release it on time...we can make a game and stick to the schedule as well. He later found out the hard way after several buggy and poor releases that it wasn't the case.

I have had personal experience with this in my career. I work in the medical field, ICD 10 was coming out a while back and the government was pushing people to adopt it, so the software companies had to hurry up and get their  Electronic Medical Record software that we use up to date and shipped by a certain date. SO it comes out...we update... and it is a horrible bug ridden mess that a year later is finally getting to where it should have been at launch. Like I have said before. Bad release gets remembered as a bad release. Delayed release isn't remembered as long as its good.

• Like 2