Woodchopper Paladin DPS Offtank Build. Unbuffed as is

Woodchopper Paladin- Hes not a genius, he justs keep chopping away!

DPS build. Offtank due to high deflection but a bit squishy due to con and DR.

Human, Paladin Order Any, Slave, Aedyr

Might 14

Int 3

Con 5 (Relying on deflection,reflex and flanking to keep free of serious damage)

Res 20* (+1 homeland bonus)

Per 18*

Dex 18*

1) Flames of Devotion 50% Burn + 20 acc

2) Weapon and Shield +6 def and + Shield Reflexes

3) Athletics and Zealous Endurance instead of Lay on Hands (paladin only really due to int but nice bonus for this build)

4) Vulnerable Attack -20% speed

5) Sworn Enemy 20% Damage +15acc

6) Weapon Focus Ruffian or Deep Faith

7) Aegis of Loyalty

8 Intense Flames +25% to FOD or Scion of Flame

9) Righteous Soul +15 defence -5sec duration hostile effects

10) Weapon Focus Ruffian or Deep Faith

11) Sacred Immolation

12) Intense Flames +25% to FOD or Scion of Flame

13) Healing chain

14) Savage Attack

Early Game:

Weapons and Armour: Hatchets(some nice ones around) and Large Shield, Dissapointer, Breastplate or as low as you feel comfortable

Mid Game:

Weapons and Armour: Resolution fire lashed and Larder Door, Any nice pistol/blunderbuss, Angio Gambesons

Late Game:

Weapons and Armour: Vent Pick and The Last Tower, Leadspitter/Dulcanale, Kerdhed Pames. All Durgan Enhanced should come close to zero recovery

Key Equipment:

Forgemasters Gloves for when you absolutely positively need something dead and/or immunties to pierce lategame (Thanks Gronmir)

Ring of Deflection and Ring of Protection (tankiness +)

Ruphecs Watchful Cloak (so you dont get mobbed too hard, +2 perception bonus is nice too)

Nice Equipment

Executioners Hood (should get missed a bit if attacked for acc + heal for kill)

Girdle of Magefolc Might

Glanfathans Stalking Boots

What does this build do?

Well it gives you excellent defence against charm attacks for himself and everybody come level 7 and 9, which are a major PITA in the game. So useful Support.

Gives you a pretty good Alpha Strike with guns and FOD, well really good with Sworn Enemy too and all Flame enhancements!

Gives you a flanker who can take a bit of aggro.

Exceptional saves vs magic come Level 9. Don't you just hate it when your DPSer gets charmed/held etc and then punished? Or worse yet punishes you?

Highest possible Reflex in game with Faith and Conviction and Shield. (Well, Elf would technically be slightly better then human + the nice glittering cloak in WM2 and the +4 dex and per items)

Very high Deflection with Faith and Conviction and Shield

Good accuracy despite high defences, Excellent accuracy alpha strike with guns

A little bit of DR survivability with ZE + siding with Knights

Healing chain for party heals with good effect

Forgemasters gloves and FOD and Scion midgame wrecks stuff when required

Vent Pick and FOD proc end game with zero recovery on 10% of hits OMG (providing not bugged still) + forgemaster gloves for backup

Drawbacks/Sacrifices

Low DR and Health. If hit could get hurt hard at low level, but not a true glass cannon in any sense of the word. Vulnerable to big spikes in melee damage if unlucky.

Forgemaster Gloves wont last long due to low int (20secs or so), buff accordingly

No Deprive Unworthy which TBH is the only other excellent paladin support skill IMHO

Not a large aura but should still should help a few frontliners

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but so what?

Possible to do a real nasty build DW bittercut and vent pick and Bleakwalker but loses some defense that I think makes this build unique. DPS Paladin? Say it aint so!

Thanks to Gromnir and Blunderbuss for input

Still in testing so any feedback/input welcome

Edited by Certus

Your Sacred Immolation's radius will be really small. Is it worth taking? When I did my 3 INT dps paladin build I skipped it because the radius was so underwhelming that it didn't make up for the self damaging part.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ok will have to take a look at your build, I like your builds. What did you take instead?

Am still testing so haven't got to that point yet.

Thanks for feedback Boreor

Edit. Can't find your build can you provide link?

I chose immolation because it wasn't int dependant for duration and should stack with flame talents I believe. Can't find another int non-dependant skill worth taking so chose that.

And yes low int definitely works with Paladins

Edited by Certus

Even if it hurts only you? ;)

Edit: I don't say it's not worth it. Especially if you are more of a flanker. I'm just curious.

Besides that, 3 INT works with paladins. They have some nice abilities that don't use INT at all.

My build did rely more on gunshots than everything else, so It's not comparable. But I tried to stick to those abilities that don't rely on INT at all.

Edited by Boeroer

Search for "The Dull Runner". Or look into the new build index AndreaColumbo did. It's the first thread (sticky). It's also there. I'm on my mobile atm... sorry. Can provide a link later.

Edited by Boeroer

Yep does that stack with quick switch? I got it last play through but didn't seem to make a huge difference. I would have liked that with this build but like ruphecs cloak better for this build. Probably not a bad idea to delay sending this guy in for a little bit after firing anyhow!

The cloak is a cloak and the Coil is a belt. You can wear them both at the same time. ;)

Yes, it stacks with quick switch for some weird effects. You can easily skip recovery with that setup when you switch all the time right after each attack - before the recovery bar appears. It needs some timing, but it still works: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83181-nice-item-ability-combinations-what-works-and-what-doesnt/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1752969

Edit: It will also skip reloading sometimes. But this cheese really takes the fun out of the game. But I can see potential for solo runs aiming for achievements. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Lol ok. Yep would have liked that belt. Nice little Dex buff too. Problem with that belt in last play through was that the Dex bonus was too small for my cipher and was always suppressed. However, it would have been nice on this build but can't remember/find any strength enhancing items that aren't endgame that I would trade off for.