Story bug: Defiance Bay - 'city of defiance'

Merina

Question

Just have run into this ... and honestly don't know whether it has always been like that:

If you travel to Madhmr Bridge before defeating Maerwald, Aloth talks about "the long way to Defiance Bay". (1) The party's destination at that time is still Caed Nua, not Defiance Bay. Aloth's comment seems out of place. (2) You can also talk to Peregrund about "Defiance Bay" ... and ask about which way to take, for example. As if you know what Defiance Bay is. Yet if you kill Maerwald, neither the Watcher nor anyone else in the party seems to know what Maerwald meant when he referred to the "city of defiance". ... So, the watcher asks the Steward about it ... and gets told that it's "Defiance Bay".

This is low-hanging fruit for any companion to add a comment instead of asking the Steward.

Edited by Merina
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

Those are not bugs,theese are oversights. There are many more in the game. Some examples: if you go and complete early part of Sagani quest before main quest,she will still speak with the Watcher about Thaos even if main character know nothing about him at the time. Or when you're playing as godlike character (all of them are sterile) you will still be asked about having any children.

Also watcher have some knowledge about DB — Odema mentions it in the begging of the game.

• Like 1

That's not what I'm doing ... I just report bugs ... or issues ... and then I'm done. I won't spend time on trying to ''convince'' anyone. The makers of this game are free to decide which of the many other bugs to prioritize. It would be a shame if they didn't improve their QA processes for the next game ... such as a Pillars of Eternity 2.

• Like 2

You can also talk to Peregrund about "Defiance Bay" ... and ask about which way to take, for example. As if you know what Defiance Bay is. Yet if you kill Maerwald, neither the Watcher nor anyone else in the party seems to know what Maerwald meant when he referred to the "city of defiance". ... So, the watcher asks the Steward about it ... and gets told that it's "Defiance Bay".

This is utter nonsense in my opinion. Defiance Bay is possibly the largest city in the Eastern Reach, and the capital of Dyrwood. I doubt that anyone in your party (even the main character from overseas) should have trouble in understanding what Defiance Bay is. Let's say you are on a trip to another country, e.g. Japan. I'm 100% sure that you know exactly what Tokyo is. So, only a dimwit doesn't see connection between 'city of defiance' and 'defiance bay'. Them characters are just playing dumb with Maerwald if you ask me.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...