[CLASS BUILD] Hungry like the wolf - Spiritshift aggro Druid

"Is anybody hungry?"
—Jerhoa, Vailian Druid extraordinaire, if a tad feral and unmannerly.

It is well-known that spiritshifted Druids can deal boatloads of damage, yet spiritshift-focused Druid builds don't exactly flood these boards. I've been wanting to do one for a while, and I've finally got around to it. Besides optimizing for combat while spiritshifted, however, there may well be parts of this build that could use polish; by all means, feel free to provide feedback and I'll integrate it.

Race, Class, Background

Race: Human
Though I guess it could really be anything. I chose Human just because.

Class: Druid
I chose Wolf as the Spiritshift form for the extra move speed (gotta reach my targets before the ability's duration expires) and the Knock Downs which are always pretty handy (plus I'm used to having them from my Fighter play throughs.)

Background: Colonist
Which is my go-to background for Survival skill points, though anything that floats your boat will do.

Attribute scores

Once again, I'm going to offer two separate arrays with detailed backgrounds. Keep in mind none of the attribute-boosting items carry over to your spiritshifted form. I also did not include boosts from story talents as I made this build for hired mercenaries (but it would probably work just fine with Hiravias as well), but of course you should factor them in if this was your main.

Main array

MIG: 18 (16 base, +2 Gauntlets of Ogre Might)

CON: 10 (7 base, +3 Marked Amulet)

DEX: 18 (16 base, +2 enchanted armor)

PER: 13 (10 base, +3 Caed Nua resting bonus)

INT: 21 (18 base, +1 Old Vailia, +2 Dunryd Demon)

RES: 10 (10 base)

Alternative array

MIG: 20 (18 base, +2 Gauntlets of Ogre Might)

CON: 10 (7 base, +3 Marked Amulet)

DEX: 20 (18 base, +2 enchanted armor)

PER: 15 (12 base, +3 Caed Nua resting bonus)

INT: 21 (18 base, +1 Old Vailia, +2 Dunryd Demon)

RES: 3 (3 base)

Notes:

• I'd advise against the alternative array as the penalty to Concentration from dumping RES is quite harsh compared the benefit you get from spreading the extra points around.
  • I used Dunryd Demon instead of Gwyn's Band of Union as basically every build that requires INT goes for the ring nowadays, and I know in my party I wouldn't give it to this guy. If you don't have any other party members claiming the ring, by all means use it here.
  • I kept PER at 10 for a number of reasons: 1) The focus of this build is DPS while spiritshifted; hence, MIG and DEX matter more and I needed INT to extend the ability's duration; 2) while spiritshifted, you get whopping Accuracy bonuses from your natural weapons, so PER becomes less important; 3) it is easier to boost Accuracy into the stratosphere than DEX or INT; 4) contrary to popular belief, casters with 10 PER do just fine (the game was never re-balanced around the shift from Deflection to Accuracy on PER; if you could handle foes fine before 2.0, so can you now.) However, if you are particularly keen on high PER, feel free to swap it with DEX.

Talents & Abilities

As customary, talents are listed in no particular order.

Talents
Weapon Focus: Peasant
Two Weapon Style
Wildstrike (Shock)
Greater Wildstrike (Shock)
Heart of the Storm
Savage Attack
Vulnerable Attack OR Apprentice's Sneak Attack
Outlander's Frenzy

Notes:

• I chose "Shock" as my Wildstrike as the most powerful Druid spells are Shock-based, and I only had room for one elemental talent to rule them all.

Spell Mastery
This really comes down to your play style and preferences, and is of secondary importance in a build that focuses on Spiritshift DPS. However, my choices are as follows:

1st Level: Nature's Mark OR Dancing Bolts
2nd Level: Burst of Summer Flame
3rd Level: Returning Storm
4th Level: Calling the World's Maw OR Form of the Delemgan

Skills

No surprises here—my usual recommendation to go for 2nd- or 3rd-tier DR bonus from Survival and invest the rest either in Athletics or Lore, depending on whether you already have enough scroll guys in your party. Athletics would probably serve this build better as fast healing is always good on frontliners.

Equipment

I've decided to play it more conservatively with this build, and only use equipment I wasn't already using on my other party members or builds. It works pretty well but it can be tweaked to better suit your preferences depending on what gear's at your disposal.

Head: Dunryd Demon
Neck: Marked Amulet
Body: Seven Skuldr's Worth OR Maneha's Armor (enchanted to Superb, Durgan-reinforced, +2 DEX)
Hands: Gauntlets of Ogre Might
Ring: Ring of Protection OR Ring of Deflection
Ring: Ring of Overseeing
Boots: Anything goes
Belt: Wildstrike belt

Weapons: dual-wield Danulya and Ritezzi's Thorn (both enchanted to Superb* and Durgan-refined.)
* if you can spare the Sky Dragon Eyes; otherwise, Exceptional will do.

Notes:

• The high INT paired with the Ring of Overseeing ensures your AoE spells are massively big even though the build's primary focus is Spiritshift. As mentioned above, Gwyn's Band of Union could replace either ring for this build—if you use it to replace the Ring of Protection/Deflection, your AoE grows even bigger and your durations longer. The ring's Dazed effect when you're below 80% Endurance would also synergize very well with this low-CON melee build.
  • Marked Amulet works particularly well with this for if your Druid is knocked out while doing his Spiritshift thing, everyone else gets sped up by 30% and can avenge his (albeit temporary) death.
  • Shod-in-Faith or Greenstained Boots would be ideal for this build if nobody else in your party is using them.

Closing argument:

When spiritshifted, if a Priest is around your damage may look like this:

BsbKo8r.png
uIsvOxP.png

Use Outlander's Frenzy to get an extra 25% attack speed and show them who's hungry like the wolf! ;)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I got a question: How is the Wildstrike Damage calculated when taking the Heart of the Storm?

Wildstrike 30% + Greater Wildstrike 15% + Heart of the Storm 20 % = 65 %

Or is it only 45 % * 1,2 = 54 %

It's 45% * 1.2 = 54%

I got a hit for 58.2 damage against a 0-DR target with 31.4 Shock damage, which means

58.2 *45% = 26.19 * 1.2 = 31.428

However, I can't quite get my head around the Wildstrike Belt's contribution. If you already possess a Wildstrike talent, the UI says it boosts your Wildstrike damage by 10%. Yet, even if I calculate it additively, I never seem to get a number as high as I see in the combat log.

Example:

Hit for 52.4 on a 0-DR target, with 40.9 Shock damage.

52.4 * 45% = 23.58 * 1.2 = 28.296

40.9 - 28.296 = 12.604 extra damage, or 24% of the original 52.4 :wacko:

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I suggest Moon godlike because the shapeshift druid in itself is very glassy, you will need that healing. I tried also fire godlike but you die really to fast to abuse the flame retaliation. No head slot don't hurt you much as you " lose " all' equipment anyway while tranformed. The only real "good" equips for the build are the belt and something that gives you more int before the transformation. Anyway you made a really good choice for your build for when shapeshift expires... But where is the "restore shapeshift" sceptre? Is a must go! And Angiò gambesone that gives you daom can be a good armour too ( i hate drink potion every fight)

I agree with you about the Wolf, the knock down do wonders for you also if it is only 2/rest. The second best alternative is the cat, as he has a bit of more " base " attack speed, have a built in frenzy and more important do slash DMG ( there are less enemys immune to it )

Edit: i'm also against vulnerabile attack, with your base DMG be so High, i feel that the +5 DMG are not worth -20 attack speed. Anyway maybe you have already done proper math to prove me wrong :D

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 1

Sounds like fun!

I've been thinking about a pale elf druid with wolf spiritshift and corrode dmg focused for that dark werewolf RP feeling. With talents and abilitys focused towards the spiritshift.

The wolf spiritshift does look like the WM1 wolfcave werewolf, right?

I suggest Moon godlike because the shapeshift druid in itself is very glassy, you will need that healing.

[...]

But where is the "restore shapeshift" sceptre? Is a must go! And Angiò gambesone that gives you daom can be a good armour too ( i hate drink potion every fight)

[...]

Edit: i'm also against vulnerabile attack, with your base DMG be so High, i feel that the +5 DMG are not worth -20 attack speed. Anyway maybe you have already done proper math to prove me wrong :D

Moon Godlike is always a popular choice for any build due to how good their racial is, but I generally prefer to steer away from it for the very same reason. If not used by other party members, Shod-in-Faith or Greenstained Boots will do the same for you; but yes, this build could work absolutely fine with a Moon Godlike.

Once again I left out the scepter because I tend to give it to my Wizard (for this build in particular I left out equipment that is already in use by other party members.) It certainly is a great choice for a Spiritshift-focused build, but I feel the overall DPS when Spiritshift is over will be higher dual-wielding spears.

The value of Vulnerable Attack is highly dependent on—wait for it—your target's DR. Because your Spiritshift form already comes with 5 DR bypass, for enemies whose DR ranges from 0 to 5 you're better off with the extra speed; for higher DR, you may want to get the extra bypass (tests have been run by other users and the character with Vulnerable Attack invariably downed enemies faster.)

The wolf spiritshift does look like the WM1 wolfcave werewolf, right?

Yup. It's like this:

zsq5yEC.png

Will this work with Hiravias?

Absolutely. The attribute spread is slightly less optimal, but it definitely works.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

Ok good points. I agree on everything exept that shood in faith actually don't work while you are tranformed, while Moon godlike healing does. The problem i have most with my shapeshift druid is that he really dies to quick and easy, i feel i need some kind of protection, and unlike the wizard druids self buffs/ healing are Pretty meh. Dangleman form may play a role, but is not the veil/ llengrat displaced Image/ citazel martial power

• Like 1

Ok good points. I agree on everything exept that shood in faith actually don't work while you are tranformed, while Moon godlike healing does. The problem i have most with my shapeshift druid is that he really dies to quick and easy, i feel i need some kind of protection, and unlike the wizard druids self buffs/ healing are Pretty meh. Dangleman form may play a role, but is not the veil/ llengrat displaced Image/ citazel martial power

Who needs protection if the enemies are proned, stunned, petrified? CC -> Spiritshift -> Victory. Works pretty well in most cases even when naked. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Guys! I just went to a Fraconian village for a really short holiday - no mobile signal there - and when I return all that [CLASS BUILD]s popped up. What happened? :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

How many things you stacked for 144 acciracy? Pretty insane :D

Going by memory: Devotions for the Fauthful, Champion's Boon, Inspiring Radiance, and Scroll of Valor.

Your alternative array has nealry the same attribute distribution as a shapeshifting build I have in the backhand (I'm currently testing it). But the gear is extremely different.

Anyways. Very nice standard Shapeshifting guide.

Edited by L4wlight
  • Like 1

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

^ I have, and it would be a good choice if you're not giving the scepter to someone else. I typically give it to my Wizard, and for this build I decided to leave out gear I was already employing elsewhere. Definitely the equipment section is where you could make the most tweaks depending on what's available to you.

Hi guys,

What do you think about a Boar Roaar Druid :) ?

Race : Human

Class : Druid (Boar)

Stats spread : 15 Might, 15 CON, 18 INT, other stats at 10

Talents: outlander's frenzy, veteran's recovery, wildstrike corrode, 2W fighting, peasant focus, others?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

What do you think about a Boar Roaar Druid :) ?

Race : Human

Class : Druid (Boar)

Stats spread : 15 Might, 15 CON, 18 INT, other stats at 10

Talents: outlander's frenzy, veteran's recovery, wildstrike corrode, 2W fighting, peasant focus, others?

It's not as optimal as AndreaColombo's build above but certainly workable.

You lose three things:

1). Wolf run speed (which helps get to more targets)

2). Wildstrike Corrode doesn't synergize as well. Heart of the storm boost Wildstrike Shock and your lightning spells.

3). You'll attack slower since you boosted CON instead of DEX

On the other hand you'll have more health/endurance and since it looks like your trying to do a regen tank that might work.

• 3 weeks later...