Ok, so, as I understand, earlygame you go hatchet+shield+light armor for casters, whatever+shield+heavy armor for tanks, dualwield+heavy armor for DPS. Then what is the point of all armors besides full plate and robes? Special abilities? And where can you find full plate in earlygame?

In Gilded Vale there is a backer NPC wearing plate just east of the temple of Eothas ruins. Plus many suits are worn by Raedric's Berathian lackeys within his Hold. Or wait until you can buy Crucible Knight Armor in Def Bay.

There are tons of mid range armors that are useful. Eder's armor is what I slap on my Barb and Rogue melee builds in the early game. Aloth's Leather Armor is great for any spellcaster that needs AoE. Blaid Gholan hide Armor is easy enough to acquire in Def Bay as is Pike's Pride which is a Scale Mail.

I prefer mid range armor on my Monks as I want them to have some DR but I also want them to accumulate wounds to power up their class abilities/talents.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

The different armor types are also useful because they have different values for different damage types. Leather for example is really bad against corrode, but great against slash while being relatively light. Plate is great against pierce and slash, but really bad against shock and slows you down. The most effective way to use armor is to know which enemies await you (so scout) and which damage types they are using. Then pick your armor accordingly. Same with your weapons and the enemies' armor. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a flashy big hit agile rogue build, get in, open from stealth, and "shadowstep" out. I see only 3 rogue builds and the melee one seems to have a lot of criticism against it. Is this doable? It's for a second playthrough, lets say on hard mode, with the NPCs as I want to see all their questlines and stories to the end. 

The different armor types are also useful because they have different values for different damage types. Leather for example is really bad against corrode, but great against slash while being relatively light. Plate is great against pierce and slash, but really bad against shock and slows you down. The most effective way to use armor is to know which enemies await you (so scout) and which damage types they are using. Then pick your armor accordingly. Same with your weapons and the enemies' armor. 

Can you scout them and see their damage types? Silly question I know. 

No no, it's a good question.

You don't get any good info if you meet them for the first time. You will unlock bestiary entries once you defeat enemies. When you meet them the second time you can see more infos when scouting.

But for most enemies you can guess what types of damage they do, based on their appearance.

All that armor and weapon switching isn't necessary if you have a full party, but it helps a lot whn you're doing solo (PotD) runs for example or when you run into encounters which are very tough and you have to reload a lot. Then just look at the combat log before reloading and change your equipment accordingly.

• 1 month later...

Should the Yellow Flash Rogue build have a feature on this thread?

Definitely. I've just added it :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 4 weeks later...

Should the Yellow Flash Rogue build have a feature on this thread? I'm guessing the mosspit didn't PM AndreaColombo or Tigranes for hosting, but IMO it's the best Rogue build you can find addressing the mechanical changes from 3.02 to 3.03 for Riposte. Definitely worth hosting if it's slipped through the cracks.

Really appreciate that you bothered to do this Jojobobo! Sorry for not initiating the pm to Andre as the build was at a late stage of PoE lifecycle so I figured it didn't matter that much, plus I got sidetracked by Diablo 3 lol. Thanks!

And of course thanks to Andre for adding the Yellow Flash :)

• Like 2

No problem, I just thought the build should get some recognition  ;)

I was thinking, do we need a catchall thread for untested builds (as in, builds that are completely planned out, but writer lacks the time to play) or should people just post these as class builds - mentioning the caveat that they're untested (and perhaps pointing to any anticipated tricky areas or styles of encounter for the build)? I have three builds entirely planned out now designed for solo, however the trouble is that play-testing all of those in a completionist way will probably take several months if not longer with my current schedule (the final year of my PhD). With party play it's much easier to test builds out, as then you can test up to six simultaneously if you want making it much more efficient. Besides, this would allow for someone else to actually test the build - at which point it could be updated.

I guess I could just try them against specific bosses, but I'd rather just play them fully when I get the time (it takes a bit of the fun out of it to just warp straight to a boss and take them out, part of the enjoyment of the game is building up to those difficult moments). As I say, that will take a long time to get to that stage. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind, I'll be good and just release them fully tested. My hangover patience is not good.

Edited by Jojobobo

Sure thing; thanks for notifying me :)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 years later...

Done! Very cool build, btw :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deadfire has different mechanics than PoE so most builds won't work the way they used to. You will have to recreate your character anyway - only your choices you made during PoE will get transported to Deadfire.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes, it is viable. You can rebuild it on many ways though. Too many to list them all here.

There's the option of multiclassing with several classes like Rogue, Barbarian, Fighter, Monk - but you can also try and do it single classed.

• Like 1