Hi there,

Looking to build a high deflection low dr paladin.

Was going to have a large shield and a one handed weapon, light armour. Can anyone suggest a good weapon that is high dps? Not looking for cc. Any good suggestions for armour equipment?

I think with high deflection, high dex, high might he could turn out beastly. Looking to keep int at around 6 or lower and relatively low con. Will have max per, Dex, might and resolve. Am building skills around the low int. zealous endurance build.

step 1: choose the monk class.

rest is easy.

*shrug*

there is some nice striker paladin builds around, but you are actual creating contrary to the original design concept.  flames of devotion, and dps building talents/abilities were late additions to the paladin class... were concessions to a vocal handful o' folks that pined for more dps from what were original conceived as a low-maintenance and highly resilient support  class that were focused on per encounter abilities. 

monk is actual already what you are asking for, but w/o the support aspect.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Haha lol Gromnir true. Have a monk in the party too but was hoping to get a reliable/hard hitting off-tank, reliase he might take heavy damage if hit but will spec in athletics and may take lay on hands.

I like my monks as cc main tanks with moderate deflection and high dr cause sometimes they can get spiked out. Unlike you I don't run priests:)

As to order probably shield bearer as I like the dialogue choices, might take the deflection buff for fod and lay on hands.

I am thinking resolution and steadfast would be good choice, as will roll with pistols too. are there any good weapons in the expansions that are preferably vicious and or crit buffed and speed buffed? That would be ideal.

By the way is it worth taking quick switch with the cool of resourcefulness? Or do they sort of cancel each other out?

Thanks guys

I'd try to get to a base 10 intellect, so many Paladin abilities trigger off intellect that you really don't want a malus. A base 10, some cassita casserole and one item will get you 14 and that is plenty.

If you get a durgan speed weapon, a durgan shield, Outlander's frenzy, and gauntlets of swift action you'd be zero recovery in hide armor or in durgan breastplate (1.15*1.2*1.15*1.25*1.15= 2.28)

Zero recovery would let you drop some dex to get int and con back up to 10.

pallegina may be a better option as her unique abilities is arguably superior for dps than any of the main character or henchmen options.  take wrath of the five suns, intense flames, scion of flames and eventual immolation. also consider going two-handed weapons and apprentice sneak attack.  oh, and get the forgemaster gloves.  forgemaster give 3 per rest firebrand, which creates a two-handed universal weapon that does burn damage.

for paladin abilities other than fire stuff, knock yourself out as it is all flavor.  

*chuckle*  

might as well get inspiring triumph as you will be killing frequent.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pellegrina looks so good. If that order was available for main character it would be a clear choice for me by a long way.

Am so tempted to go two handed as well, really nice synergy with forge master gloves, but wanted to have overkill reflex saves and deflection. That new cipher defensive spell might be interesting later in game with this guy.

It Seems to be easier to get zero recovery with shield too though am no expert at Formulaes

edit:vent pick seems nice.

Edited by Certus

Dual-wielding and sword-and-shield make it easier to hit 0 recovery, although with specific weapons it is possible to reach it with two-handers as well.

I agree with Gromnir: Pallegina is probably a better choice than a hired mercenary because of her order's talents. With a two-hander she can have good damage and Accuracy while supporting the party as well (she has good INT too.)

However, keep in mind that DPS is not a Paladin's specialty.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

DPS paladin seems to be a recurring obsession since the beginning of PoE. The point is that the class is not suited to do that.

There are some Sniper paladin build around here (Pallegina being the best) but not reallt melee knight to do so.

Abandon your idea of a DPS knight, or just choose another class to do so like an armed monk maybe.

Dual wielding for FoD full attack might have some potential, and vent pick FoD seems to work with FoD talents (?) so there might be a bit of potential in this direction.

• Like 1

Or you can :

build a bleak walker either using Bittercut+Shield or Dual wielding Bittercut and some other op one hander ( sabre with 3 fireballs too fun ) , get remember rakhan field , intense flames , scion of flame , spirit of decay , 0 recovery . Use sworn enemy and kill the biggest threat in seconds, and continue clearing ads with sacred immolation .

Edited by Blunderboss

Blunderbuss your build sounds like a lot of fun and pretty solid, and would be pretty good with bitter cut and vent pick! Pity you have to be complete asshat in game to use it to potential for faith in conviction lol

I can't see why you couldn't build a high deflection, practically magically untouchable toon who can pump out consistently high damage with paladin.

Sure other classes that are melee dps focused could get higher dps numbers, but they can be charmed, held etc and can become liability.

All I want is someone who can reliably chop up cc'ed mobs.

Low int means reduced auras, for me that's ok. Zealous focus can be almost replicated on ANY character. Losing out on a bit of dr and hit to graze conversion for entire party, I can live with that too cause backline shouldn't be getting hit anyway in ideal world. On closer thought I am probably going to forgo auras altogether in next play through.

I can't think of any other must have class talents that rely on int for Paladin and agree with Gromnir that other than fire stuff the rest is all flavour. Did I mention vent pick looks nice on a zero recovery Paladin with all fod talents?

Will build class fully and submit later if anyone is interested

• Like 1

if Vent Pick's FoD gets boosted by Paladins talents its heaven for this build Bittercut+Vent Pick should be amazing especially when u reach 0 recovery .

You can take Bleak Walker as companion if you dont want to follow cruel path , i dont think paladins loose much from not being MC , Faith and Conviction scales with companion level anyway .

Special thanks to Boeroer for this build he posted something similar to this in his Skaen Priests thread .

Would be nice if any1 could confirm if Vent Pick is working properly now as it used to be bugged only proc flames of devotion once , and if its FoD benefit from paladin talents or not

Edited by Blunderboss

All I want is someone who can reliably chop up cc'ed mobs.

well, if that is all you want, then consider the possibility o' doing both two-handed and sword & board with a peasant weapon focus.  all you genuine need for the high deflection you want with a paladin is the sword and shield talent, the outworn buckler and a resolve that ain't in the basement.  keep your dispositions maxed (and wait for faith and convictions to be fixed) and you will have the kinda overkill deflection and reflex saves you wish. add superior deflection eventually and/or make as a shieldbearer to use modified lay-on-hands to increase your own deflection.  as we suggested peasant, you will also be able to use hatchets if you feel you need extra deflection in a battle... and bitter harvest is an underrated tank weapon for a fire spamming paladin, no?  in addition to burning lash it gots the deflection boosting quality all hatchets provide, plus it gots dr bypass.  

as for reliably chopping up cc'd mobs, am gonna again suggest going with peasant weapons.  that gets you spears, hatchets and staves.  spears give increased accuracy, which is nice given that initially you will have average accuracy at best.  too many builds is endgame.  am thinking folks forget that more than half the game is played at mid and lower levels, and the increased accuracy from spears ain't something to sneeze at for the early and mid-level paladin. ritezzi's thorn can be purchased in dyrford and the vile loaner's lance is available relative early. even better is cladhalíath, a spear that you can custom add numerous different unique qualities.  for chopping up cc'd foes, we personal recommend stun-on-crit PLUS +20% damage to prone/stunned/flanked foes.  am more a fan o' wild orlans for tanks, but possibly go hearth orlan for the increased crit chance.  as stated earlier in the thread, we would also suggest apprentice sneak attack.

oh, and you can still have durance's staff and forge master gloves equipped.  durance's staff is one o' the more underrated weapons in the game with reach quality and unique crush/burn damage type.  make sure to take scion of flame and  intense flames.  vulnerable attack is gonna benefit any melee weapon type, so is worth considering, but am still thinking you got room for two-handed weapons. players switch 'tween ranged and melee all the time.  you can switch 'tween shield and a two-hand weapon.  honest, flames of devotion + scion of flame + intense flames + forge master gloves = dead enemies.  sworn enemy is not a cc'd mob killer's choice, but is gonna guarantee that at least one foe in each battle is gonna be owned by you.  earlier in the game, sworn enemy will help you overcome indifferent accuracy when facing wolves or trolls or whatnot.  later in the game it will finally start being useful in boss battles.

as for race, death godlike is an obvious choice for extra kill, but we wouldn't ignore orlan for the bonus crit chance or the defense bonus.  also might consider island aumaua for the free weapon set. 

am thinking you need recognize that your character is not gonna be particular varied in support... 'cause you want a character that fills multiple roles with a class that isn't ideal suited for the roles you wish.  monk gets you what you want easily, but monk is seeming not an option.  well then, am thinking you gotta accept that you will need make some hard choices.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir