Quality of Life Suggestions

Borissimo

Question

Quality of life suggestions seem like a tricky thing to suggest right now, since there are enough real bugs to deal with, but here are some things I'd eventually like to see (and am curious to know whether other players agree or I'm an outlier who ought to be ignored):

1. A roll button. Swiping the dice is fun when there's a lot of dice, but it can be irritating when there's just one die, especially if it's a bum check that I'd rather get past as soon as possible (e.g. rolling a d4 for a dumb boon with a check of 10). In that case, I'd much rather perform one action (tap) than two actions (tap + swipe) to get past the check.

2. An option to auto-roll recharge checks. Right now, each time I cast a spell, I have to do 2 pesky things afterward: tap "recharge" (as opposed to discard) and then roll the recharge die. I wish there were an option to do both of these things automatically. It would also be nice if, in the future, when we have cards that can be revealed to give a bonus to Int and Wis, these cards apply their bonuses automatically as well.

3. Moving cards out of your hand should play them. Currently, if you want to play a card, you have to either tap it and then tap the appropriate play button (recharge, discard, etc), or tap + drag it to the appropriate area (the deck, the discard pile, etc). I'd rather it be just like in Hearthstone, where dragging the card anywhere outside your hand causes it to be played, regardless of the form of the play.

4. An option to forfeit a scenario. This has been mentioned in other threads, but I've not seen anyone mention what I consider to be the most important justification for this feature: accidentally selecting the wrong scenario. It's one thing if a character dies on turn 15 and you have to grind out the remaining time; it's quite another if you accidentally hit the play button with the wrong scenario selected and have a full 30 turns of grindin' to do. Major pain point!

5. A menu option to auto-skip cutscenes/dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I love the writing in this game! However, even the world's best writing is only new once, so an option to turn these off for players who have been through the game before would be welcome.

6. An option to keep the starting location view for the entire scenario. I think it's really cool how you can see the locations in a physical space, but for gameplay purposes, I'd like to be able to see things more clearly. At the beginning of the scenario, when the locations are all shown on one screen (with the movement connections, for legendary difficulty), it's perfect! I wish there were an option to use this view for the entire scenario, so that I don't have to drag around the map so much when planning my moves during the game.

7. Increase the number of things that roll automatically. It feels so great when the game just rolls dice for me automatically, such as when encountering a monster with pre-check damage. I wish that more things that the player has no control over would roll automatically, too. For example, with the wildcard power that deals 1 fire damage if you roll a 1 on a 1d6 each time you kill a monster, you have to roll the d6 manually, but there's no reason for this.

8. Arcane/Divine spell filters. When Kyra builds a deck, she's typically not going to want to see the arcane spells. When Ezren builds a deck, he's not going to want to see the divine ones. It would be nice to have a filter here allowing the player to turn off spells that are exclusive to one category or the other.

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

• Roll Button

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The novelty wears off by the end of the first scenario.

• Option to auto-roll recharge

Wholeheartedly disagree with this. There are quite a few times throughout a campaign that you do NOT want to auto-roll a recharge check.

• Moving cards out to play them

Disagree here, mostly. There are a few cards that you can play in different ways... if you put an automated priority, it will inevitably be contrary to the priority you want in some cases.  I would settle for far more consistency than we currently see with playing cards, though.

• Option to forfeit a scenario

Agreed.

• Menu to skip cutscenes/dialogue

Slightly agree... but there's a skip button on all that stuff anyway, would prefer development time spent elsewhere.

• Starting location view instead of map

Agree and disagree. I LOVE the map, I love that it adds context to the locations and adds theme that was missing from card game. It also really helps justify the 'adjacent locations' for legendary. That said, I really do hope for a better way to use that... it gets really chaotic, especially with more characters, swiping all around, useless information abounding. I don't think the starting locations is the way to go, since it invalidates the map, but I'll agree that something(s) needs to be done here.

• Auto-roll dice

Disagree-ish. I hate the game automating dice rolls, even the ones it does now. I think having a roll button would help alleviate the mechanism. However, as much as I feel option-creep is a bad thing and not everything should have a menu toggle, this would be a good place to have that set per device setting, as I realize this is entirely preference based and doesn't actually have potential to affect the outcome, just the timing.

• Arcane/Divine spell filters

Disagree. Given how the reward/deck building interface is built, I think the dynamic filtering would potentially introduce more problems than it would solve. This would also open up other demands to other filter types that really aren't necessary.

My 0.82 cents.

Edited by Deekow

Quality of life suggestions seem like a tricky thing to suggest right now, since there are enough real bugs to deal with, but here are some things I'd eventually like to see (and am curious to know whether other players agree or I'm an outlier who ought to be ignored):

1. A roll button. Swiping the dice is fun when there's a lot of dice, but it can be irritating when there's just one die, especially if it's a bum check that I'd rather get past as soon as possible (e.g. rolling a d4 for a dumb boon with a check of 10). In that case, I'd much rather perform one action (tap) than two actions (tap + swipe) to get past the check.

2. An option to auto-roll recharge checks. Right now, each time I cast a spell, I have to do 2 pesky things afterward: tap "recharge" (as opposed to discard) and then roll the recharge die. I wish there were an option to do both of these things automatically. It would also be nice if, in the future, when we have cards that can be revealed to give a bonus to Int and Wis, these cards apply their bonuses automatically as well.

3. Moving cards out of your hand should play them. Currently, if you want to play a card, you have to either tap it and then tap the appropriate play button (recharge, discard, etc), or tap + drag it to the appropriate area (the deck, the discard pile, etc). I'd rather it be just like in Hearthstone, where dragging the card anywhere outside your hand causes it to be played, regardless of the form of the play.

4. An option to forfeit a scenario. This has been mentioned in other threads, but I've not seen anyone mention what I consider to be the most important justification for this feature: accidentally selecting the wrong scenario. It's one thing if a character dies on turn 15 and you have to grind out the remaining time; it's quite another if you accidentally hit the play button with the wrong scenario selected and have a full 30 turns of grindin' to do. Major pain point!

5. A menu option to auto-skip cutscenes/dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I love the writing in this game! However, even the world's best writing is only new once, so an option to turn these off for players who have been through the game before would be welcome.

6. An option to keep the starting location view for the entire scenario. I think it's really cool how you can see the locations in a physical space, but for gameplay purposes, I'd like to be able to see things more clearly. At the beginning of the scenario, when the locations are all shown on one screen (with the movement connections, for legendary difficulty), it's perfect! I wish there were an option to use this view for the entire scenario, so that I don't have to drag around the map so much when planning my moves during the game.

7. Increase the number of things that roll automatically. It feels so great when the game just rolls dice for me automatically, such as when encountering a monster with pre-check damage. I wish that more things that the player has no control over would roll automatically, too. For example, with the wildcard power that deals 1 fire damage if you roll a 1 on a 1d6 each time you kill a monster, you have to roll the d6 manually, but there's no reason for this.

8. Arcane/Divine spell filters. When Kyra builds a deck, she's typically not going to want to see the arcane spells. When Ezren builds a deck, he's not going to want to see the divine ones. It would be nice to have a filter here allowing the player to turn off spells that are exclusive to one category or the other.

1. A roll button. It doesn't feel like a lot of actions to me, personally, (and I've been playing this game a -long- while).  But, that being said, the only things I see working against this are trying to figure out where in the UI to put it.  Thankfully, that's not my job. ;)

2. An option to auto-roll recharge checks. As Deekow mentions, you don't always want to auto roll a recharge check.  You may want to add cards to help it, or you might even want to lose it intentionally to get cards out of your deck. 

3. Moving cards out of your hand should play them. I understand the appeal of the idea, but there are a number of cards that have multiple methods of play.  We wouldn't want to make the decision of play to be automatic, so you'd have to select an option after throwing it out there.  We're not a fan internally of the button prompts on cards that have more than one option (Merchant Give Card/Explore on discard; Haste Move/Explore on discard), but accept them as a necessary evil.  Would dragging a card out then selecting that prompt be less annoying (for lack of a better term), than dragging the cards to their respective play locations? 

4. An option to forfeit a scenario.  Agree 100%.  We plan to implement this and are shooting for launch (don't quote me on that!  I don't want to be blamed if it doesn't make launch :p)

5. A menu option to auto-skip cutscenes/dialogue. We provide skip buttons as you've probably noticed.  But it would be nice to not have to hit two loading screens to proceed.

6. An option to keep the starting location view for the entire scenario. I'm a big fan of the maps, but I readily concede that scrolling the map to find the location can get tiresome.  I'd love to give us the option to zoom in/out of the map so we can see all locations at once, myself.

7. Increase the number of things that roll automatically. Whenever something bad happens, the roll is supposed to be auto.  Encounter a Goblin in Approach to Thistletop?  Take damage from Explosive Runes?  Determine if you'll take damage post-combat?  These are supposed to have automatic rolls - anything that isn't is a bug.  Anything good should be manual - boons from a chest, blessings from Holy Candle, heals, etc.  These all used to be manual rolls - and I, for one, welcome our new auto-rolling overlords - as long as they stick to the negative stuff. :)

8. Arcane/Divine spell filters. Could be useful for newer players.  Not sure where they'd stick that in the UI.

Those are just my personal opinions.  :) I will pass them on as suggestions for the future!

• Like 1

2. Note that you can play cards to alter the outcome of your recharge, If you really want to recharge a spell you can play blessings to help with that for example.

3. Some cards have multiple powers, simply dragging that card out of your hand wouldn't be enough, the game needs to know which power to activate and as such it needs to be put in the right spot for that to happen.

4. This is coming. :)

5. Good suggestion. I'll file it.

6. I'm not sure how easy it would be to simply make this a toggle option.. So as oppose to the map view when you try to move you'd rather it look like the initial location selection correct?

7. That power should be an auto roll check. Generally player activated things should be the things the player rolls. So if you see more rolls that should be auto (like the one mentioned in your example) send them off to us.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I totally understand now why some of the stuff in my initial post doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to simply make this a toggle option.. So as oppose to the map view when you try to move you'd rather it look like the initial location selection correct?

That's right! It wouldn't have to be the exact initial location view, just something that lets me see all of the locations and adjacencies without having to scroll around the map.

7. Increase the number of things that roll automatically. Whenever something bad happens, the roll is supposed to be auto ...  Anything good should be manual 

Ohhhh, that makes sense! So if I understand correctly, the fact that the Retaliation wildcard is a manual roll, is a bug?

Culling all the stuff in my initial post that doesn't make sense, here's what's left (i.e., things that there is some agreement on):

- A roll button: some like it, some don't, fitting it in the UI might be the hard part

- Option to forfeit a scenario: it's coming someday. Yay!

- Menu option to auto-skip cutscenes so that you don't have to pass 2 loading screens

- Some method of negating the need to scroll around the map

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I totally understand now why some of the stuff in my initial post doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to simply make this a toggle option.. So as oppose to the map view when you try to move you'd rather it look like the initial location selection correct?

That's right! It wouldn't have to be the exact initial location view, just something that lets me see all of the locations and adjacencies without having to scroll around the map.

7. Increase the number of things that roll automatically. Whenever something bad happens, the roll is supposed to be auto ...  Anything good should be manual 

Ohhhh, that makes sense! So if I understand correctly, the fact that the Retaliation wildcard is a manual roll, is a bug?

Culling all the stuff in my initial post that doesn't make sense, here's what's left (i.e., things that there is some agreement on):

- A roll button: some like it, some don't, fitting it in the UI might be the hard part

- Menu option to auto-skip cutscenes so that you don't have to pass 2 loading screens

Sorry, but all culling is automatic and random, so 15% of your original post will be ignored.  :disguise:

• Like 2

I designed most of these things, so here we go! I take all constructive [and some non-constructive] feedback very seriously. I'm not arguing anything, but I will give you some reasoning.

1. It's just a swipe, but it's a confirmation and I want to keep it consistent. In playtesting, I've found people really need consistency, so if we ask people to swipe dice, we shoudl always have them swipe dice. However, the rules state you are allowed to choose to fail... that could be a button in the future.

2. Addressed above (this means not my post, but by someone else).

3. Addressed above.

4. Addressed above.

5. I think it's mostly a chore during testing, but not actual game play, so it's not something I'm concerned players will actually encounter enough.

6. So this is a funny one. Someone at Paizo had suggested something like this long ago, before we had the map screen fleshed out. (FYI: Locations used to be offscreen and that was that. We added the floating location icons later to alleviate this.) Upon making those changes, they were appeased. This is one of those things that some players are just going to prefer a simpler view for, but it's one of those things where we could have done this in many places. From perusing the internet, I've found some players would just like to have Tabletop Simulator: PACG Edition. Everything would just be a recreation of the cards, no added context or visuals. I feel like, for simplicity, we did that during the starting locations selection. But the design and the aesthetic is to have the map give you the context. I think this is more important when adventuring on different maps, and Legendary mode's Linked Locations definitely need the context of why they are [not] connected. Boiling everything down too much will make the game a little stale. However, feedback is not without its merit here and I aim to improve the usability of the map screen a little (this may not make it into the release build, but one day there will probably be an improvement).

7. Addressed above, but confirming it's a bug. Enemy rolls should all be auto-rolled for you. We don't think you should actually roll your enemy's "attack," even if you do that in the physical game because you have to.

8. Could be useful. Someone internal had suggested we have filters for all card traits, but we evaluated this suggestion and ultimately felt it was too much. We figured if we ever did anything like it, we'd only have a very small number of filters. An Arcane/Divine filter would be pretty good. We'll look at this one more.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 3

Sorry, but all culling is automatic and random, so 15% of your original post will be ignored.  :disguise:

Just to be clear, I get you were making a joke about his post, but in Pathfinder Adventures, culling is not 100% random. We've put quite a bit of thought into how to make auto-culling feel like Lone Shark and Paizo originally intended for Adventure Deck progression. Because of this, things are random, but the rules they are based on are not random, and there are factors that play into what might be culled (higher/lower chances, etc). It's all in favor of a game that always feels right, whichever Adventure Deck you are in.

• Like 1

Assuming this thread is good for any and all QoL suggestions:

- After you choose a different skill from the skill list for making a check, have the pull down menu auto-close so that you can immediately roll. Right now you have to open, choose, close, and roll. Open, select, roll is more natural.

- Some type of option for auto-organizing your hand would be nice.

Seelah specific:

- When you use Crusade and it reveals a boon, it draws it for the top, displays it so you can look at it, puts it back to the front of the location deck, then moves it to the bottom of the location deck. It should just go to the bottom after being displayed.

- Inspired Grace is useable only by swiping the card from the deck to the discard, instead of being useable through both swiping and a button.

• Like 1

1. It's just a swipe, but it's a confirmation and I want to keep it consistent. In playtesting, I've found people really need consistency, so if we ask people to swipe dice, we shoudl always have them swipe dice. However, the rules state you are allowed to choose to fail... that could be a button in the future.

I would recommend looking deeper into this. I agree it should be 100% consistent. But I would push that the button being consistent be where that goes. It started as novel and fun, but quickly faded. It was humdrum and boring for awhile. Now, after testing for quite a bit, it's just outright annoying. If I'm alone in this, I'd understand; but based on feedback here, as well as discussing it at length with several people, this is going to annoy a lot of people.

Please, at the very least, consider it and do specific research into testing this very consideration... if it is actually annoying to some, it will go a long way towards losing adoption (short and long term), and players that initially love the game may have that mechanic that's repeated so many times drive them from it.

As someone who always tries to be entirely objective (and even going so far as to respect the decision I feel strongest about in regards to culling with disagreement), understand that I really feel you're missing the mark in a far more general sense here.
  • Like 1

- Some type of option for auto-organizing your hand would be nice.

Totally agree here.

1. A roll button. 

Yes, please.  Just as an example, my stylus taps just fine. But dragging doesn't work all the time.

So I have to switch between finger and stylus. Having a button would keep it consistent for me.

Regarding rolling, are touch devices able to differentiate between a touch-and-release action and a touch-and-swipe action with one's finger?  If so, wouldn't it make sense to enable both for rolling, since doing so would satisfy both camps?  Personally, I prefer to touch and swipe.

Edited by Mysterio

I would recommend looking deeper into this. I agree it should be 100% consistent. But I would push that the button being consistent be where that goes. It started as novel and fun, but quickly faded. It was humdrum and boring for awhile. Now, after testing for quite a bit, it's just outright annoying. If I'm alone in this, I'd understand; but based on feedback here, as well as discussing it at length with several people, this is going to annoy a lot of people.

Please, at the very least, consider it and do specific research into testing this very consideration... if it is actually annoying to some, it will go a long way towards losing adoption (short and long term), and players that initially love the game may have that mechanic that's repeated so many times drive them from it.

As someone who always tries to be entirely objective (and even going so far as to respect the decision I feel strongest about in regards to culling with disagreement), understand that I really feel you're missing the mark in a far more general sense here.

As someone who has rolled our digital dice countless times I do not find it to bother me yet. And man do these dice like to fail me on rolls.

Isn't it more time consuming and doesn't it require more effort to physically roll dice in a physical game, or shuffling cards for that matter? :)

It seems like the most contentious item is the roll button. People have attempted to make objective arguments on both sides, but what it boils down to is this:

Some people are annoyed by having to touch + swipe; others are not.

Now even if the people who are annoyed are objectively "wrong" somehow, no set of reasoning or facts will cause their annoyance to disappear. If 50% of the game's players are annoyed by the swipe-to-roll mechanism, then ignoring them is a bad idea, because then you have half your players experiencing a pain point every time the dice are rolled, which is something that happens a fair amount in this game. :) Now if the proportion of annoyed players is more like 5%, then ignoring us is fine. I agree with Deekow that conducting a survey on this issue is a good idea, because what's at stake is a (potentially) large proportion of your player base developing a negative association with the single most frequently performed action of the entire game.

• Like 4

For me the swipe is not a problem, but if and when PC version comes out, there has to be roll dice button, and I think that it should be same with each platforms...

Hmmm... Actually you could click the dice, to roll them so actually the roll dice button is not needed...

Where is my coin. Head or tail?

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

For me the swipe is not a problem, but if and when PC version comes out, there has to be roll dice button, and I think that it should be same with each platforms...

Hmmm... Actually you could click the dice, to roll them so actually the roll dice button is not needed...

Where is my coin. Head or tail?

In lieu of a coin...