[suggestion] Constitution should augment characters' DR

So, am I the only one thinking since the reworks of Perception and Resolve, Constitution has actually become a very viable dump stat ?

I mean, really, all it does is augment one's Endurance (but then better armor and deflection solves that), and HP (yay, more time between rests...).

Surely, Constitution would be more appealing if it helped some more, say for example by improving damage reduction.

I don't know, something to the tune of 0.5 to 0.8 per point seems reasonable enough as to not be game breaking.

I understand working with floating numbers wouldn't be very convenient, but then, we already have floating numbers for Constant Recovery, Ancient Memory and so on.

Discuss :)

Good idea, and in my opinion it would fit role playing purposes too as thick slabs of muscle and fat can serve as some measure of protection against injuries.

That said, I would reduce your suggested values to 0.25 per point. I for myself agree that constitution is an interesting dump stat, but at the same time think that it does not need that much more to make it much more interesting and potent.

The way I see it, RES hrlps with deflection by making you mantain discipline and a cool head to parry the attack properly instead of listening to your reflexes and trying to back away in a hurry from the sharp thing coming your way or just block it directly instead of shifting the force of the blow.

Good idea, and in my opinion it would fit role playing purposes too as thick slabs of muscle and fat can serve as some measure of protection against injuries.

That said, I would reduce your suggested values to 0.25 per point. I for myself agree that constitution is an interesting dump stat, but at the same time think that it does not need that much more to make it much more interesting and potent.

IDK, a meager 2.5 DR for a whole 10 points invested in a (remotely not that very useful) stat, as opposed to say +30% action speed or 30% damage...

Thing is, DR is very strong against fast, small blows; but it gets exponentially weaker against strong targeted nukes.

200 damage rake, ain't no 2.5 (or even 5) DR gonna do you much good.

Or, to take a more attainable example for enemies, Cipher Disintegration, 300+ raw damage on a regular hit, 500ish on a crit, that's 50 per tick.

2.5 less isn't going to save the day.

I would very much like to see such a system in place to give Constitution a higher value, but the actual DR gains would need to be balanced carefully.

They've already boosted constitution, and with a lot of my parties the enhanced health is no joke on PotD.  One problem with constitution is that its effects are more biased towards certain classes / class based than any other stats.  I feel like barbarians, in particular get more surviveability from high con.  I really think that if they wanted to make con more valuable, the only thing they could do is rebalance the entire system making damage higher, thus allowing con to have more of a spread.

I disagree with the idea that con should affect DR.  The system can be opaque in parts already.

Edited by anameforobsidian

The way I see it, RES hrlps with deflection by making you mantain discipline and a cool head to parry the attack properly instead of listening to your reflexes and trying to back away in a hurry from the sharp thing coming your way or just block it directly instead of shifting the force of the blow.

I just wish that we stop rationalising and stop using our imagination to try to make sense of something nonsensical .......... 

You can't stop or deflect a blow with low Perception or Might or Dexterity......how will you back up in hurry with low Dex or how will you block it directly with little physical strength or without acute awareness of enemies' movements, specially when you are surrounded with them? 

Next time when someone try to punch you in the face, lets see if you can deflect it with your inner determination and emotional intensity......or perhaps you can but I can't do it.........

Edited by Brimsurfer

^ So you would want a 100% simulationist attribute system?

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

EDIT: nvm.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I still can't get my head around how Resolve contributes to Deflection instead both Constitution and Resolve should partially contribute to DR.........

Because MAGIC!

Also, i like the idea. Constitution feels lackluster compared to other stats.

I kinda feel like that would stack to much DR. There is plenty of it floating around in the game, even in POTD, even withholding level for a greater challenge, I stack so much DR on my front liners that it is a non issue for most fights.

......Brimsurfer.....thanks for dragging your trolling deflection argument here.........offhandedly rejecting perfectly valid arguments in your own topic......isnt enough?........

• Like 1