Can we have a Kickstarter for an Aurora - based RPG?

notker_biloba

Aurora is an oooold engine. You could probably achieve the same with Unity.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I liked the NWN nights games well enough and I'm pretty sure I played every installment more than once, to say nothing of fan made campaigns... but other than the ability to easily create new content there is very little about the actual engine that I have any particular desire to return to.

It was the stories and the characters that made NWN and NWN2 memorable for me. Not the engine. Not that it was bad per say, just not at all the thing about those games that resonated with me. It was more of a means to an end.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I liked the NWN nights games well enough and I'm pretty sure I played every installment more than once, to say nothing of fan made campaigns... but other than the ability to easily create new content there is very little about the actual engine that I have any particular desire to return to.

It was the stories and the characters that made NWN and NWN2 memorable for me. Not the engine. Not that it was bad per say, just not at all the thing about those games that resonated with me. It was more of a means to an end.

The engine for NWN2 was terrible.  Even on a machine built ~10 years after it was released, turning shadows all the way up caused my video card fans to turn into jet turbines.

I thought it was decent for The Witcher

They had to rewrite most of it tho.

That said, I prefer 3D also, 2D just don't cut it for me, not being able to pan is takes away from my immersion with the game(also I don't find hand-drawn beautiful maps THAT important for an RPG), just like I prefer RTwP over TB, cos I don't find TB realistic and takes away from my immersion also. But I endure them both for other features of the games which are 2D or TB.

The engine for NWN2 was terrible.  Even on a machine built ~10 years after it was released, turning shadows all the way up caused my video card fans to turn into jet turbines.

The earlier versions of NWN2 ran like an absolute dog on my, at the time, brand new system that far exceeded the recommended minimums. And yeah, I've never had such a big problem with shadows on a game before or since. But, patching and yet another PC a few years later and it eventually ran reasonably well enough.

I thought it was decent for The Witcher

I only played the Witcher for a few hours, since the first person view and lack of party based combat just aren't my cup of tea, so that game doesn't really factor into my opinions on the Aurora Engine.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

It's been a long time since I played the first Witcher game but I recall playing it zoomed out pretty far and I thought NWN2's camera got much better with either some patches or one of the xpacs

Over the shoulder is probably my least favorite camera angle followed by first person view. Woe is me.

Edit- actually switch that, FPP is least favorite

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I played The Witcher with OTS cam, just cos I could see further.

And I never seen this many people in one place who can't handle camera in a 3D game with top down gameplay(Not speaking for this thread alone). And always the same reference; yeah we all had our share of bad experience with NWN2's cam(apparently OP handled it like a pro), but not all games' cams are/will certainly be like NWN2's or problematic in some way, except for having to use mouse/buttons to be controlled, - outrageous!

On a serious note, I don't think Obs will go for 3D for a party based RPG in the near future. Pillars formula is risk free: 5M$ budget + established company name = easily 500K games sold = lots of profit. With Tyranny I assume budget would have increased, familiar engine now, maybe same RPG system, more VO, more marketing etc... 1M in sales would be the goal. Obs could have also decided to make Tyranny by themselves, either through crowdfunding or with PoE profits or both but I guess they went with the safe, usual route... but they are managing a studio with 200+ developers, they must have their valid reasons.

My concern is, if we'll ever see Obs in the big leagues again; with games like AP & New Vegas to influence the industry with their RPG prowess(like CDPR doing atm)or will they continue playing "small" with RPGs and their big game will be the tank MMO.

I didn't discover cRPG's until right around the time Storm of Zehir came out, so by the time I got to NWN it was probably all patched, and I had the latest hardware, etc. I had nothing to compare it to, so I thought it was super dreamy.

I'll be plenty happy if they keep the PoE's coming, but if there's enough interest and funding to create a 3D game in addition, I'd be doubly happy.

Edited by notker_biloba

Never thought I'd live to see people asking for a game with NWN 2's camera.  :grin:

Yeah, seriously: the camera and the floaty controls were like the worst part of that game. PoE's Unity Engine as well as the Infinity Engine literally any and every day over it, thank you.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just watched this 

Honestly it looks better than Pillars to me; dat atmosphere and pannable cam <3 : p and probably the game has 1/5 of Pillars budget at most(first expeditions game's budget was 80 thousand dollars if I'm not wrong). Maybe making 2D backgrounds is not that cheap after all. Only thing I'd change about it would be turning combat into RTwP but I can try to enjoy/endure turn based combat just as I gave the same chance to 2D style of PoE. 

Honestly it looks better than Pillars to me; dat atmosphere and pannable cam <3 : p and probably the game has 1/5 of Pillars budget at most(first expeditions game's budget was 80 thousand dollars if I'm not wrong). Maybe making 2D backgrounds is not that cheap after all. Only thing I'd change about it would be turning combat into RTwP but I can try to enjoy/endure turn based combat just as I gave the same chance to 2D style of PoE. 

Conquistador's budget was larger than that. 80k was just from the Kickstarter, they had more.

Edited by Infinitron