Ion grenades make EMP blast?

Well, if ion grenades are EMP, maybe all electronics within the blast radius (like lightsabers or laser guns or power armor) stops working for a few seconds and you'll have to resort to other methods of attack for the time being. Maybe stupid idea, but ion is EMP after all, is it not?

Well, I don't know how ion cannons/grenades are supposed to work in the SW universe, but EMP != ion. Ions are simply atoms with an electric charge; nothing more. They have nothing to do with EMP.

Anyway, I don't like the effect this would have on blasters and powered armor. Take crappy weapons/armor and make them worse.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Heh. I only played a little TIE Fighter. X-Wing was what it was all about man. I wish they'd re-do X-Wing with modern graphics. Maybe a couple new fighters, but leave everything else intact.

Anyway:

Well, I don't know how ion cannons/grenades are supposed to work in the SW universe

:D

There are websites with updated graphics and ships for X-Wing Alliance. The single-player campaign wasn't the best in Alliance, but overall it was a good engine and a nice title. There are tons of fan-made campaigns for it as well.

As far as the Ion cannons, that started in Empire Strikes Back, where the ion cannons on Hoth disabled the Imperial Ships so the Rebel Transports could get away safely. Star Wars fiction then later extrapolated that Ion cannons have a similiar effect as EMP devices in that they knock out electronics (tripping breakers, frying circuitry).

Yeah, I know all about how they work, but not how they work.

Er... Lemme rephrase that: I know all about what they do, but not what the supposed scientific process is.

Anyway, I oppose this idea simply on game balance issues. Unless blasters are made better than melee weapons like they're supposed to be.

You gotta wonder though... If this idea worked in the Star Wars canon, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of purely mechanical guns (i.e. what we currently know as modern firearms), that can't be fried by EMP?

In the movies proper, we don't see Ion grenades, or ion guns on fighters. We see a giant planetary Ion cannon. Who knows what the limitations on ion technology are?

And George Lucas is an archeologist, not a physicist, so don't expect a whole lot of science facts in Star Wars. George Lucas did screw the pooch on the parsec line in ANH after all.

In the movies proper, we don't see Ion grenades, or ion guns on fighters.  We see a giant planetary Ion cannon.  Who knows what the limitations on ion technology are?

And George Lucas is an archeologist, not a physicist, so don't expect a whole lot of science facts in Star Wars.  George Lucas did screw the pooch on the parsec line in ANH after all.

Actually, the Jawas use an ion gun on R2.

I've always thought of the ion as a concentrated beam of EMP affecting only what it hits, so thus sabers and stuff (which also have some ion shielding I think) aren't affected unless they are hit. Also, the hilt would haveto be hit, not the energy, as the hilt is the electronic stuff.

Oops, forgot about this thread. Yeah, I got the ion cannon from Tie Fighters. Ion shouldn't destroy droids, just disables them permanently or temporary.

Here's the Jawa ion gun.

jawaiongun.gif

And the starship ion cannons.

sw4ioncannonwb.gifioncannon.gif

And the bigass ion cannon that defended the Rebel base on Hoth

planetdefenderionwb.gif

Man your all over the Fourms!!! How in the world did you think of all these things. I think you have too much time.

Back to the subject i dont think that ion granades/guns are emp i think that they are more like electisity or so thing mabey like a taser or something. I dunno.

In the movies proper, we don't see Ion grenades, or ion guns on fighters.  We see a giant planetary Ion cannon.  Who knows what the limitations on ion technology are?

And George Lucas is an archeologist, not a physicist, so don't expect a whole lot of science facts in Star Wars.  George Lucas did screw the pooch on the parsec line in ANH after all.

I hate to dig this up, but saying you made a trip in a small amount parsecs can be something to brag about. The planet Kessel is near the Maw cluster of black holes, and by travelling close to the black holes, you can make the Kessel run in a shorter distance than if you took the safe route.

I agree with you that GL must have done poorly in Astronomy class and that he was just trying to make Han sound "spacey", but you can brag about travelling XXX amount of parsecs.

In episode IV, Vader's Star Destroyer Devastator used ion cannons to disable Princess Leia's Corellian Corvette, the Tantive IV, before they boarded it.