Caed Nua adventures - how, what level, when ?

So, I'm trying to min-max a playthrough where I have an entirely custom party.

I've been wanting 2 upgrades for my Monk, namely the Binding Rope and the Glittering Gauntlets.

The former is obtained from an Average adventure and the latter from a Legendary one.

I seem, however, to only be getting Major and Grand adventures.

I'm at Act 3, WM1 and WM2 done, level 16, and 52 prestige / 42 security.

I cannot seem to find how Adventures are chosen, as in, is the Adventure's level entirely random, or based on a factor ?

If so, which factor would that be :

- keep upgrades ?

- keep prestige / security ?

- protagonist level ?

- number of finished quests ?

- current act ?

- some kind of mix ?

Nor when :

- random chance when turning a quest in ?

- every X quests ?

Has anyone been able to figure this out ?

After getting the stronghold, over time, there is a chance for unexpected events to take place at the stronghold. The events are partially dictated by the Prestige and Security of the house, its purchased upgrades, and hirelings in the player's employ.[1] When a random event occurs, you will be told regardless of whether or not you are physically there. Sometimes, you will need to deal with the event immediately, but usually you are given some time to decide what to do.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Caed_Nua#Random_Events

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Im planing to start new playtrough with 3.02 and i was wondering what is the best way to manage your stronghold nowdays , assuming i want to complete all the quests it has to offer and get the maximum out of it ,

I was kinda planing to kill all named companions on sight because of my party having evil theme , but this is bad idea i guess because now u need them to do stuff in keep .

I usually build Garden and Curio shop first for them ingredients , what is the best way to build keep now so i start getting the adventures right away , also as stronghold turns passes with completing quests i guess i should try to invest into it as much as possible before doing defiance bay stuff so i can have many turns to get those adventures , anyone have any insight on how to get best out of your keep? Please share :)

After getting the stronghold, over time, there is a chance for unexpected events to take place at the stronghold. The events are partially dictated by the Prestige and Security of the house, its purchased upgrades, and hirelings in the player's employ.[1] When a random event occurs, you will be told regardless of whether or not you are physically there. Sometimes, you will need to deal with the event immediately, but usually you are given some time to decide what to do.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Caed_Nua#Random_Events

I thank you for the answer.

I have already read through the wiki and am after specifics, not generalities.

I would learn to what extend prestige/security contribute, the actual odds of getting a Legendary, stuff like that ;)

• Like 1

Heya dam!

The stronghold adventures are based on the stronghold's prestige value. The game generates two random numbers between 1 and 50, then adds them to your prestige. 

The adventure you're assigned is then based on this number:

1-25                      No Adventure

26-50                    Minor Adventure

51-75                    Average Adventure

76-100                 Major Adventure

101-125               Grand Adventure

125+                     Legendary Adventure

So if you have 31 prestige (which I think is the base value from upgrading your stronghold and not doing anything else), you'll be able to get a Legendary Adventure if the game rolls a 94 or higher on two 1-50 numbers. It's a tough roll, but not impossible! =)

Hope that's what you were looking for. 

• Like 15

I try my very best.

Actually, I seem to have a problem here.

I'm on 54 prestige :

30 base

17 hirelings

7 misc

Following your calculations, every time I progress a quest I should get 54 +2d50 = 55 < x < 155, which would always net me an Adventure, and at least an Average one at that.

It seems that it is not the case.

Might there be another factor in play ?

A timer, a random factor other than the 2d50... ?

Basically, every time a turn passes, the game rolls for an "event". If that "event" ends up being an adventure, then refer to the formula above. Else some other thing will happen.

Sorry about that! I thought adventures where in a separate pool, but it turns out they're considered "events" alongside a bunch of other things. :sweat:

• Like 4

I try my very best.

Aaaaand back I go to wiki editing ^^

My thanks for the clarification ;)

Incidentally, this also means that if one is to get the steam achievement for doing one adventure of each, one might need to save scum a bit, for the minor ones, prior to upgrading their keep/hirelings.

Unless it works through multiple playthroughs.

Edited by dam

Basically, every time a turn passes, the game rolls for an "event". If that "event" ends up being an adventure, then refer to the formula above. Else some other thing will happen.

Can "some other thing will happon" also mean that nothing happens at all?

• Like 1

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Can "some other thing will happon" also mean that nothing happens at all?

Yep yep. Nothing happening at all is one of the possible outcomes.

• Like 3

I try my very best.

• 1 month later...

I hate to get generic major adventure over and over again when I dont ending all   average/minor/etc... I think it would be better if stronghold gave lesser adventures instead of generic ones after you complete all the average/major etc. Beacuse is a bit illogical too high prestige  prevents you from having lower quest

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

developer aartz posted Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:47 AM:

"And the rolls happen every time a turn passes (while no other adventure is active), which happens when you progress a quest. =)"

This doesn't appear to be correct. When I reload before handing in a quest that progresses the turn and spawns the adventure it just cycles through the adventures in the same tier. Ie, if you get a major adventure, reloading just cycles you through all the major adventures so clearly the 2xD50 roll doesn't occur at that point.

Does anyone know when the roll actually happens? I can't seem to find anything on it. I want to get a minor item but keep getting major and above adventures so I want to reroll to get a roll low enough for a minor.

• 1 month later...

The roll has to be based on some "random" (or more accurately pseudo-random) thing.

This could be your system uptime, this could be the actual game time, or any other number of factors.

My point is, the roll may very well be tied to a variable that is, in fact, either static or has very little entropy at the time you're performing the action.

This would result in the roll  seeming like it has the same outcome, when the actual roll could be varying a bit.

• Like 1

Adventures (and several other event types) are created on a timer: the stronghold periodically updates itself and a base adventure event is instantiated at this point if there is no current base adventure event already instantiated, with the adventure set to start a couple of turns later. This is also when the two random integers are generated (these can be considered fully random for all relevant purposes). The type of adventure is determined only when it starts, based on your Prestige at that time. But since the random number part of that equation is set well in advance, reloading to a slightly earlier point will not change the tier of the adventure unless your Prestige changes (sufficiently). The specific adventure within that tier that you get is determined when it starts though. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Adventures (and several other event types) are created on a timer: the stronghold periodically updates itself and a base adventure event is instantiated at this point if there is no current base adventure event already instantiated, with the adventure set to start a couple of turns later. This is also when the two random integers are generated (these can be considered fully random for all relevant purposes). The type of adventure is determined only when it starts, based on your Prestige at that time. But since the random number part of that equation is set well in advance, reloading to a slightly earlier point will not change the tier of the adventure unless your Prestige changes (sufficiently). The specific adventure within that tier that you get is determined when it starts though.

Is there any way to view the rolls for upcoming events or adventures in game or in the game files? I agree that getting generic major adventures instead of interesting minor or average adventures is a bit of a bummer.