Pillars of Eternity 2 questions

Our experiences differ, I switch zones very frequently here, because I'm at late game and playing the completionnist, doing every possible quest and picking every possible lock.

Seeing these load times :

- date from Release

- actually augment with how far into the game one progresses

I still believe they are tied, somehow, to the way objects are stored in the save file; objects like all the junk that's been generated as loot, and then sold to vendors.

I shall try a brand new playthrough on 3.02-beta, see if it was fixed at some point or whatnot.

Tyranny is Obsidian's Project Vermont. From various sources it would appear Obsidian already has two more named projects that chronologically follow Vermont: Louisiana and Indiana. My guess is that Project Indiana is PoE2 which is still some ways away. So the big question is what is Project Louisiana? This could be the new Kickstarter-funded RPG Obsidian was supposed to announce last year but postponed. I really hope it is Pathfinder-related. Just like with PoE promoted as the spiritual successor to the IE games, a game set in the Pathfinder world could be promoted as the spiritual successor to the Neverwinter Nights games.

Most of their employees seem to be working on Armored Warfare, the rest is separated between smaller projects. Of those, we know of three : the Pathfinder Adventures game, Tyranny and Project Louisiana (details unknown, but the main speculation is that this is PoE 2, what with Sawyer and Brandon both working on it).

This game is so good, I can't believe they're planning on waiting a while for PoE 2.  This is JES's highest rated game and it was 5 years ago that Fallout NV came out, so I'm wondering if:

- there's some system problems getting in the way, such as waiting for Unity 5 or an easier way to create the game environment maps

- there's some drama going on (Tim Cain's been working on Tyranny for the past year, not PoE, but he's systems design so maybe that's not an issue.  Also, a founder left the company which is like losing a family member--if everyone hated him, not as big a deal, but if everyone loved him, it's like being orphan Annie and getting dragged back to the school of hard knocks.  Either way, it might take time for the team to just get experienced enough to fill the vacant position properly, which is a logistical problem at the very least)

- there's some logistics going on.  Technically, logistics are always going on, but they might have already made some promises that they need to keep, or they're waiting for more people, or they're waiting for Fig to help them instead of kickstarter, or it's the wrong season to announce anything and they're tired of questions, etc. etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say J.E. Sawyer probably just saw Spring Breakers starring James Franco and Disney pop-star Selena Gomez, and Josh came into the office with corn rows, a grill, full-body tattoos, and let everyone know that he'd be having a "Spring Break fo' evah, dawg."

• Like 2

Hello!

I am great Pillars of Eternity fan, i very like the game (5th. my top10 rpg list), and thank you Obsidian for this awesome game! So i wait the Pillars of Eternity 2.

My first questions:

- When come? :)

- PoE 1 PC charachter import to 2? (Need yes!)

- Romance options? (Like Baldur's Gate 2)

Thanks the answers! :)

Hey Daermon (you beautiful fan you),

First I have a question for you. What 4 games are you placing ahead of Pillars of Eternity?

Also curious

-Sking

Hey Sking! :)

My list:

1. Witcher 1-3

2. Baldur's Gate 1-2

3. Final Fantasy 8

4. Dragon Age - Origins

5. Pillars of Eternity

Hey, Sking, just a reminder; You have your answer, now OP and the rest of us awaits yours ;)

• Like 4

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'll allow it :biggrin:.  Well, provided they don't forget about PoE 2, 3, 4, and 5, which are going to be required.

Though... there are rumors floating about that Tyranny may only be available via Steam.  If anyone from Obsidian is reading and Obs has any choice in the matter, I'd like to register a heartfelt plea for you to push the publisher for a GOG release as well.  A lot of us will never permit Steam anywhere near our systems, so we won't be buying the game if that's the only way to do so.

Regardless of the relative merits of each outlet, there are important reasons to avoid a single entity gaining de facto control over PC game distribution.  Competition is good for both consumers and game studios.

Although, in an amusingly ironic sense, perhaps the game's titular theme would indeed be well served by a Steam-only release :p.

• Like 3

Hello!

I am great Pillars of Eternity fan, i very like the game (5th. my top10 rpg list), and thank you Obsidian for this awesome game! So i wait the Pillars of Eternity 2.

My first questions:

- When come? :)

- PoE 1 PC charachter import to 2? (Need yes!)

- Romance options? (Like Baldur's Gate 2)

Thanks the answers! :)

Hey Daermon (you beautiful fan you),

First I have a question for you. What 4 games are you placing ahead of Pillars of Eternity?

Also curious

-Sking

Hey Sking! :)

My list:

1. Witcher 1-3

2. Baldur's Gate 1-2

3. Final Fantasy 8

4. Dragon Age - Origins

5. Pillars of Eternity

Hey, Sking, just a reminder; You have your answer, now OP and the rest of us awaits yours ;)

Haha, these answers are past my pay grade. 

Sorry guys.

• Like 6

Haha, these answers are past my pay grade. 

Sorry guys.

Don't be sorry it is better than my general response to these types of questions when I am on the clock.

"I don't know, I just work here."

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

I'll allow it :biggrin:.  Well, provided they don't forget about PoE 2, 3, 4, and 5, which are going to be required.

Though... there are rumors floating about that Tyranny may only be available via Steam.  If anyone from Obsidian is reading and Obs has any choice in the matter, I'd like to register a heartfelt plea for you to push the publisher for a GOG release as well.  A lot of us will never permit Steam anywhere near our systems, so we won't be buying the game if that's the only way to do so.

My case, too, definitely.

Edited by Abel

Pillars of Eternity is a great game. The fans deserve a second opus.

For me the most important points :

- Less Bug.

- Two prestige class for each base class.

- Eventually multiclass. (but only 1 class and not 4 like NWN)

- Cap to level 20.

- More Talents. The are not enougth choice. (Arquebuse ? Penetrating shot... Reload. We always take the same)

- More talents for certains class like Chanter. (He have a max of 2 talents class ?)

I would already be in heaven personnally !^^

• Like 1

To me it would be less build oriented.

-Allow companions to take part into conversations, and to use their skills to fill the conversation checks (Sagani, with her survival skill, should be able to warn a boy using a knife in a bad way. As it is now, only the PC can do it. Sagani would never say anything about it if the PC has not met the requirements, which i feel is silly. This detail is the one reason i dropped the whole game in my first playthrough. If i wanted souless companions, i would have taken adventurers).

-Allow the NPC to actually react to what the companions say in conversation. Right now, Eder might say something during a conversation, but no one will ever notice he said anything. Let alone react to it... In all these situations, companions are (once more) not much more that souless pile of statistics... Which kind of get on my nerves (again). At least, in Baldur's Gate 2, there were quite a lot of occurences when NPCs looked or spoke to our companions directly.

-No more stash (please).

-No more miraculous naps... oO

-No more seclusion of characters in one way of fighting. Being a wizard or a priest should no prevent them to learn at least some clues in the warrior ways... (limited mutliclassing)

-Slower leveling.

-If stronghold, the first feature i would want is intregration in the world, people talking about it in cities, life brought inside... All this is much more important that any statistic related feature (rest bonus, merchants, items, xp, etc).

-Speaking of resting bonuses... No more of them, really. I could come up with silly far fetched reasons as to why sleeping in this one room makes me more clever, but really, it's really immersion breaking to me... I would really rather to see resting bonuses disappear. If it is about complelling to use more expansive rooms, i definitely think BG got it right.

-Livelier towns (Defiance Bay, with its way too wide open areas and streets is filled with emptiness. It does not feel like an important center at all. Needs way more narrow streets and trash NPCs).

-No more immersion breaking stuff (backer stuff).

-No more dumped medium armor (who actually use mail armors and brigandines in Pillars? Unless you find some epic unic one?). It has to do with the recovery time of each type of armor, probably.

-Finding a way to separate physical strenght and might would be great. I have a hard tme to roleplay my frail female elf priest... You know, the one who has 18 divine power, but can also move a truck like superman... oO. Gosh!

-Some decision about voices. Does a fancy human aristocrat really need to have the same kind of average voice than a redneck dwarf? It strikes me every time.

These are the things that really bothered me in Pillars. I won't mention any Ok-ish things (once more, according to my own way to value things). Useless to mention that there are plenty of things that are great in the game, too. This is not a rant :)

Edited by Abel

-No more stash (please).

Stash is usefull. Oldest mecanics of old games is not a wish. Exemple : nerverwinter nights. If you are a warrior, lot a strengh, you can take lot of stuff. Its RP but NOT easy to play for a mage. The stash is a great idea to preserve time. Its boring to make several returns. We play a game PC, fluid is possible for all class.

-Slower leveling.

Nope. Its perfect like that. I like games where we often pass levels. Here is almost linear progression and I think it's great.

I agree. Too wordy and it breaks immersion.

Edited by theBalthazar

-Allow companions to take part into conversations, and to use their skills to fill the conversation checks (Sagani, with her survival skill, should be able to warn a boy using a knife in a bad way. As it is now, only the PC can do it. Sagani would never say anything about it if the PC has not met the requirements, which i feel is silly. This detail is the one reason i dropped the whole game in my first playthrough. If i wanted souless companions, i would have taken adventurers).

-Allow the NPC to actually react to what the companions say in conversation. Right now, Eder might say something during a conversation, but no one will ever notice he said anything. Let alone react to it... In all these situations, companions are (once more) not much more that souless pile of statistics... Which kind of get on my nerves (again). At least, in Baldur's Gate 2, there were quite a lot of occurences when NPCs looked or spoke to our companions directly.

-No more stash (please).

-No more miraculous naps... oO

-No more seclusion of characters in one way of fighting. Being a wizard or a priest should no prevent them to learn at least some clues in the warrior ways... (limited mutliclassing)

-Slower leveling.

-If stronghold, the first feature i would want is intregration in the world, people talking about it in cities, life brought inside... All this is much more important that any statistic related feature (rest bonus, merchants, items, xp, etc).

-Speaking of resting bonuses... No more of them, really. I could come up with silly far fetched reasons as to why sleeping in this one room makes me more clever, but really, it's really immersion breaking to me... I would really rather to see resting bonuses disappear. If it is about complelling to use more expansive rooms, i definitely think BG got it right.

-Livelier towns (Defiance Bay, with its way too wide open areas and streets is filled with emptiness. It does not feel like an important center at all. Needs way more narrow streets and trash NPCs).

-No more dumped medium armor (who actually use mail armors and brigandines in Pillars? Unless you find some epic unic one?). It has to do with the recovery time of each type of armor, probably.

-Finding a way to separate physical strenght and might would be great. I have a hard tme to roleplay my frail female elf priest... You know, the one who has 18 divine power, but can also move a truck like superman... oO. Gosh!

-Some decision about voices. Does a fancy human aristocrat really need to have the same kind of average voice than a redneck dwarf? It strikes me every time.

These are the things that really bothered me in Pillars. I won't mention any Ok-ish things (once more, according to my own way to value things). Useless to mention that there are plenty of things that are great in the game, too. This is not a rant :)

No offense, but I absolutely disagree with most of this. Granted I'm sure we just want PoE2 to be a good game. :)

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

-No more stash (please).

Stash is usefull. Oldest mecanics of old games is not a wish. Exemple : nerverwinter nights. If you are a warrior, lot a strengh, you can take lot of stuff. Its RP but NOT easy to play for a mage. The stash is a great idea to preserve time. Its boring to make several returns. We play a game PC, fluid is possible for all class.

-Slower leveling.

Nope. Its perfect like that. I like games where we often pass levels. Here is almost linear progression and I think it's great.

+1 

No offense, but I absolutely disagree with most of this. Granted I'm sure we just want PoE2 to be a good game. :)

Yep guess different people look for different things  ;). Well at least, this was the things that really, really bothered me

Edited by Abel

I numbered the list to make it easier to respond to.

1. -Allow companions to take part into conversations, and to use their skills to fill the conversation checks (Sagani, with her survival skill, should be able to warn a boy using a knife in a bad way. As it is now, only the PC can do it. Sagani would never say anything about it if the PC has not met the requirements, which i feel is silly. This detail is the one reason i dropped the whole game in my first playthrough. If i wanted souless companions, i would have taken adventurers).
  2. -Allow the NPC to actually react to what the companions say in conversation. Right now, Eder might say something during a conversation, but no one will ever notice he said anything. Let alone react to it... In all these situations, companions are (once more) not much more that souless pile of statistics... Which kind of get on my nerves (again). At least, in Baldur's Gate 2, there were quite a lot of occurences when NPCs looked or spoke to our companions directly.
  3. -No more stash (please).
  4. -No more miraculous naps... oO
  5. -No more seclusion of characters in one way of fighting. Being a wizard or a priest should no prevent them to learn at least some clues in the warrior ways... (limited mutliclassing)
  6. -Slower leveling.
  7. -If stronghold, the first feature i would want is intregration in the world, people talking about it in cities, life brought inside... All this is much more important that any statistic related feature (rest bonus, merchants, items, xp, etc).
  8. -Speaking of resting bonuses... No more of them, really. I could come up with silly far fetched reasons as to why sleeping in this one room makes me more clever, but really, it's really immersion breaking to me... I would really rather to see resting bonuses disappear. If it is about complelling to use more expansive rooms, i definitely think BG got it right.
  9. -Livelier towns (Defiance Bay, with its way too wide open areas and streets is filled with emptiness. It does not feel like an important center at all. Needs way more narrow streets and trash NPCs).
  10. -No more immersion breaking stuff (backer stuff).
  11. -No more dumped medium armor (who actually use mail armors and brigandines in Pillars? Unless you find some epic unic one?). It has to do with the recovery time of each type of armor, probably.
  12. -Finding a way to separate physical strenght and might would be great. I have a hard tme to roleplay my frail female elf priest... You know, the one who has 18 divine power, but can also move a truck like superman... oO. Gosh!
  13. -Some decision about voices. Does a fancy human aristocrat really need to have the same kind of average voice than a redneck dwarf? It strikes me every time.

1.  I like it as it stands, but I can understand how others might prefer it.  I would say the need for this is smaller than other RPGs because party members do participate in skill check screens.

2.  I think they do this a bit, but more would be better.

3.  I completely disagree.  The number of crafting ingredients alone make a normal inventory impractical.  A compromise could be stash at strongholds, and a donkey follower (dungeon siege) with expanded space.

4.  Don't know what you refer to here.  If it's resting in a dungeon, that's a bad idea.  The use of camping supplies makes resting and using powers more strategic decisions.  This would encourage people to go back to inns, or lead to people getting stuck in mandatory dungeons.

5.  Multiclassing, sure whatever.  However, the cross-class talents do let you do that a bit.  Weapon proficiencies annd your choice of armor let you do that a lot more.

6. Agree, especially for lower levels.  I feel like I barely knew level 1 before it was gone.  Introducing a full party earlier could help.

7. Agree, and JE Sawyer has said the next strongholds will be more like BG2.

8. Absolutely not.  From a realism perspective, good rests definitely improve your athletic and test performances.  Another way of thinking about this is a room could have a feature like a washtub that makes you less sore, and hence stronger for the next day.  From a gameplay perspective, room bonuses are definitely worth considering.  I generally don't take them until act 2 and then I never go without them, and normally pick where to sleep based on the rooms.

9.  Yes.  They could even do what BG1 did and have lower res npcs.

10.  The backer stuff could have been handled better.  I would have liked seeing them as random mobs.

11.  I put off-off tanks like ciphers in chain or brigandine.  On PotD, there's a good chance many people will wind up in melee.  I do think brigandine could be dropped.

12.  I think the mechanical virtues of the skill system outweigh the current problems, but I personally think intelligence and might should be almost wholly swapped.  Intelligence fits the idea of more damage (knowing where to attack), and might fits the idea of bigger explosions.

13.  Less voices the better. Maybe a few more character choices, but generally stick with few voice actors.  That means less resources and more/better writing.

If you can just use your companions to pass skill checks for you then there's no point in having skill checks at all. The point of them is that you, the player, get feedback through conversations reinforcing the validity of your skill point investments. I prefer stuff like Grieving Mother in Blood Legacy, where a quest can resolve in a different way only if you have a certain party member with you.

• Like 3

4.  Don't know what you refer to here.  If it's resting in a dungeon, that's a bad idea.  The use of camping supplies makes resting and using powers more strategic decisions.  This would encourage people to go back to inns, or lead to people getting stuck in mandatory dungeons.

No, actually, i was refering to the fact that while even magic can't cure health, a little nap provides wondruous results... If my character is almost dead, it just has to sleep a bit to be completely healed... i would have expected that bad injuries, when not healed carefully, would end up killing my character during his sleep, rather than the nap saving his life. In BG, the better the room is, the more HP are healed. I'd rather a system like this.

8. Absolutely not.  From a realism perspective, good rests definitely improve your athletic and test performances.  Another way of thinking about this is a room could have a feature like a washtub that makes you less sore, and hence stronger for the next day.  From a gameplay perspective, room bonuses are definitely worth considering.  I generally don't take them until act 2 and then I never go without them, and normally pick where to sleep based on the rooms.

I would think that a good rest allow you to be back to normal. Your examples are essentially the far fetched explanations i talked about ;). Furthermore, a good bed is a good bed. Having a library in the bulding next to your rest room is no valid explanation to me, especially since the rest bonuses are widely different from one room to another. While both could have a good bed, one give you lockpicking bonuses, while the other gives might bonuses. In the same inn. I can't think of anything reasonable to explain this. And while i'm sure some people feel it's not even a detail worth mentionning, some, like me, think it's a real bother.

10.  The backer stuff could have been handled better.  I would have liked seeing them as random mobs.

Agree. I'm pretty sure if time allowed Obs to give more love to all this, they would actually have had handled them better.

11.  I put off-off tanks like ciphers in chain or brigandine.  On PotD, there's a good chance many people will wind up in melee.  I do think brigandine could be dropped.

Brigandines have the same recovery time as plate armors. Mails is 45 i guess. While brigandines has the same recovery malus than plate, they provide less protection. If i have the choice, i would take a plate armor, and dump brigandines and mails (unless i really want a mail armor for some RP related reason). It's a shame, because, some brigandines are actually really nice.

If you can just use your companions to pass skill checks for you then there's no point in having skill checks at all. The point of them is that you, the player, get feedback through conversations reinforcing the validity of your skill point investments. I prefer stuff like Grieving Mother in Blood Legacy, where a quest can resolve in a different way only if you have a certain party member with you.

I understand what you mean. I won't say you're wrong. But probably, i would rather a broken mechanic to a dumb one. And for me, my companions just staying still and looking my PC struggling without giving a hand is dumb (it's actually the same with the stash). Plus, since i don't really min max, even a party check system, rather than a PC check system would probably not allow me to have all the options available. And i don't think the quest resolving system and the conversation system are mutually exclusives.

Edited by Abel

Things I would like to see:

1) Classless system like they are proposing for Tyranny. This should make for some interesting character builds. You could do it to some degree in PoE but it felt sort of forced sometimes.

2) The ability for everyone to choose a deity of worship (or the option to not) particularly for conversation options and for character backstory. For instance, I think it would be fun to play a spellcasting rogue Wael worshipper. As it is right now, I just make a wizard, give them the baby sneak attack and use head cannon. Would be nice to fill that out a bit.

3) Priest faith determines spell lists. I want more variability in spell options for priests depending on deity choice. We have a little bit of that in PoE, but I think going a bit further would make it more rewarding and increase replayability.

4) Enchantable headgear. They have some really cool headgear that doesn't get used too much because it doesn't anything.

5) Godlike improvements. Most of their racial abilities aren't too great or interesting. We don't need to be crazy powerful but little reworking is in order, especially if they are still going to be helmless.

6) Cleared zone respawn. It's kind of boring that once you kill everything in a zone, it's empty beyond the occasional bounty. I'd like to see some respawning mechanic. It would be slow enough that it doesn't become burdensome. It could even be that once you clear a zone, maybe some non-hostile NPCs move in that can give quests. Something to add life to cleared zones.

7) Reasonable stat dialogue options. I would like to see more dialogue options in the 12 to 13 range.

8) Negative dialogue options based on low stats. Maybe having that 4 Resolve means your only option is to pay a hefty fee to cross that bridge because you are so weak willed the bandits walk all over you.

As far as where to next, I want to kill sea monsters in the Deadfire Archipelago.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I know PoE team, taking serious player rewievs and wishes.

So i want to add mine to this pool.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What i love about PoE and how you can do it better for me:  (actually "we", because i have plenty of friends who loves rpgs, and i know their wiews.)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

---- Good Introduction of game and good start of story. Even the beginning of the story make us wonder, who is he? what we are? why are we here? can we change things which actually happens at the moment? Players loves questions and exiting answers.

---- We love, abilities, stats, talents, skills, backrounds, races-subraces and their bonuses, traits, equipments, alignments, reputations, deity/order/society/circle (that means you can extend paladin/priest only customizations), spell/skill tiers, weapon/armor modifications, cosmetics, inn/rest/brothel bonuses, origins, every single aspect of customization means FREEDOM, reflection of ourselfs, huge replayabiliy. Im one hundred percent sure, i dont want to loose any of these customization/build options. Actually we can demand more. Like spell conbinations, spell modifications and ranks, trait trees; for example, the character has a backround and nation, and this nation familiar to "x" creature type, has different taste of food/drink, different senses, and all of that specialities can develop differently, players can choose their ways in trait trees "or" behaviors, choices, habbits can open main traits and we can choose subtraits)

---- We love party based games! Especially 6 member parties! Every customization option (even respecializations) on party members helps us to create our unique way of gameplay!

---- We love deeeep character personalities! Can i forget, Morrigan? Leliana? Varric? Gerald? Elizabeth? Gabriel Knight? Cloud? Snake? Arthas? Thral? absolutely not. BUT, the grey warden from dragon age origins, special to me, because she isnt "hawke" she is absolutely my creation, with her name, origin, everything. I know who is she, "better than everyone". So, i love main protogonists with total freedom and deeeep and customizable party members.  

---- We love different role choices for every class. There is good role choices for almost all classes, healer priest, fire dps priest even off tank priest possible, actually that roles available for almost all classes.

---- We love player driven main stories! Linear stories can be good too, but stories, which is carry tons your choices with great consequences, they are matchless, like writing your life in different world.

---- We love character imports! We all bonded to our characters and we worrying about thir future!

---- Achievements! Some achievements can give ingame rewards too. Actually choices in "machine" and "birds" quests gives us bonuses, that can be apply to some achievements. Achievements a great part of replayablity, you can create an ingame achievement tab with their rewards (without spoilers ofcouse) in addition to steam achievements.

---- I really hate, inventory management personally and ui really important to me. Pillars of Eternity UI almost perfect with its stash, crafting tab, statistics tab, minimalistic lines. You did this great guys.

---- I love map movements, if you want to go to east then you need to go to east exit of your actual map for finding new map! Actually i was in love movement encounters of dragon age origins. If maps carries great dangers, why roads totally safe? Why there is no good or bad people on the roads? 

---- More active player created party members can be goood idea. i love if they can contribute conversations wtih their classes, skills, backrounds, races and stats. For example my cipher can help about cipher questions. Created party members can carry soul too.

---- I love soulbound weapon idea and this weapons can carry extended builds like lotr online legendary weapons. And armors can develop too, for example, long time used armor can be wattlefored after repairs and with repair choices, armor names can change, like "flaming sanguine plate".

---- I love rest mechanics, for exaple if  brighthollow chosen because of its cool pools and great kitchen, i can get athletic and dexterity bonuses, library can improve my knowledge and that can give and focused and open mind, improvess my intelligence, perception and lore, staying in chapel can give me spiritual strenghts and resolve.

---- İ really love dealogue checks, every kind of them, great job, actually peoples can be more responsive to our past choces and our reputation/alignments.

---- İ love our stronghold, and endless path of caed nua is a masterpiece as a dungeon, that featue almost flawless. Why almost? Prison mehhanics can be better. Some advisors and lieteunants can add some colors. Also i can buy some places in cities or i can build a cozy humble hut in wilderness for getting better rest bonus without running to dyrford village or caed nua.

I have much more ideas and appreciations actually, but this post became too long already, thanks for reading and sorry about my avarage english.