Pillars of Eternity 2 questions

Hello!

I am great Pillars of Eternity fan, i very like the game (5th. my top10 rpg list), and thank you Obsidian for this awesome game! So i wait the Pillars of Eternity 2.

My first questions:

- When come? :)

- PoE 1 PC charachter import to 2? (Need yes!)

- Romance options? (Like Baldur's Gate 2)

Thanks the answers! :)

• Like 1

While it's likely that there will be a PoE 2 at some point, there has been no official annoucement yet. In fact, Obsidian has just announced that they were working on a brand new RPG unrelated to PoE. So the answer to all your questions is: no one knows, and that probably includes Obsidian themselves.

Also:

MMORPG: What is next for Pillars of Eternity -- can gamers consider the game done or are there more expansions or even a sequel planned?

Josh: Pillars of Eternity is all wrapped up.  It's been a great experience, but we'd like to move on to a new project.  We'd love to make a sequel and have a ton of ideas for ways we can improve on Pillars, but that's a way off.

They are moving on a new(secret) project : d Only after that PoE 2 happens.

• Like 1

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-is-announced.913905/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3044713/software/obsidian-announces-tyranny-a-dark-new-isometric-crpg-where-youre-the-bad-guy.html

From the screenshots, it definitely looks like Unity.

That means POE2 will gain an additional half year to year + of additional pre production, which will make its story and lore stronger.

They must have shifted the primary Unity POE team over to this one, as soon as POE 1.0 was released. With a smaller team working on patches, rebalances, and White March 1/2. Obsidian mentioned that they had several different games for pitching to Kickstarter years ago, but decided on Eternity in the end.

This might be one of their other alternative worlds they had built. Although some things tell me that there may be a connection to Paradox's World of Darkness in the future.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Well, seeing that they just announced Tyranny-it looks like POE2 is not happening anytime soon...which saddens me........greatly.

PoE2 not coming anytime soon - may be unrelated to Tyranny. J. Sawyer said he's not involved with Tyranny and maybe most pillars team isn't either but in the interview quote above he also said PoE 2 is way off so its possible he and maybe pillars team are working on another project which is neither PoE2 nor Tyranny.

ed:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/710111647449407488

Pillars and Tyranny have separate teams.

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 1

Well, seeing that they just announced Tyranny-it looks like POE2 is not happening anytime soon...which saddens me........greatly.

PoE2 not coming anytime soon - may be unrelated to Tyranny. J. Sawyer said he's not involved with Tyranny and maybe most pillars team isn't either but in the interview quote above he also said PoE 2 is way off so its possible he and maybe pillars team are working on another project which is neither PoE2 nor Tyranny.

Interesting that Sawyer isn't working on Tyranny. That would open up a World of Darkness rpg pitched by Paradox to Obsidian.

Interesting that Sawyer isn't working on Tyranny. That would open up a World of Darkness rpg pitched by Paradox to Obsidian.

That seems rather unlikely, at least for now. We know Obsidian is currently working on the Armored Warfare MMO, the Pathfinder Adventure game, their new RPG Tyranny, the Lords of the Eastern Reach tabletop game, and the last few patches for PoE and its expansions. While the last two look close to being wrapped up, that still leaves a lot of work for a company the size of Obsidian to take on another RPG at the same time.

Interesting - first I'd heard of Tyranny.  Here's another link about it on kotaku with a little more verbiage.

I don't usually play evil chars, but it could be a fun change of pace.  The level artwork in the proto-screenshots looks as yummy as PoE.

I'll allow it :biggrin:.  Well, provided they don't forget about PoE 2, 3, 4, and 5, which are going to be required.

• Like 3

From the screenshots, it definitely looks like Unity.

Most likely the game indeed runs on Unity(considering PoE), but the game can look exactly like that in any modern engine.

That seems rather unlikely, at least for now. We know Obsidian is currently working on the Armored Warfare MMO, the Pathfinder Adventure game, their new RPG Tyranny, the Lords of the Eastern Reach tabletop game, and the last few patches for PoE and its expansions. While the last two look close to being wrapped up, that still leaves a lot of work for a company the size of Obsidian to take on another RPG at the same time.

The Lords of the Eastern Reach tabletop game isn't made by Obsidian; Sawyer, Adler (I think Brennecke too) are working on the unrevealed Project Louisiana.

Edited by Lychnidos

Probably not seeing a PoE2 for a while, but Tyranny looks to be in the same engine. I'm all for writers having more time to pick over PoE2 while the rest of the crew works on Tyranny and the engine's technical issues. (Because it looks like Tyranny's at that part where it's largely out of the writers' hands.)

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I think you bit underestimate how big studio Obsidian Entertainment actually is or how many people worked on PoE in your estimates how many projects they can develop in same time.

Also Tyranny seems to use tech (custom shaders, light mapping and etc. things) that Obsidian made over Unity to allow them to do the things they wanted to do, as Unity3D is created 3d environments in mind and its features didn't support everything that Obsidian needed for game like PoE that uses prerendered backgrounds and nearly everything happens on single 2d plane. 

• Like 1

I think you bit underestimate how big studio Obsidian Entertainment actually is or how many people worked on PoE in your estimates how many projects they can develop in same time.

Also Tyranny seems to use tech (custom shaders, light mapping and etc. things) that Obsidian made over Unity to allow them to do the things they wanted to do, as Unity3D is created 3d environments in mind and its features didn't support everything that Obsidian needed for game like PoE that uses prerendered backgrounds and nearly everything happens on single 2d plane. 

Does that mean the load times won't be painful ?

Load times on PoE are fine. Either you need a new computer or are far too lost down the instagratify me road.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 2

Hello!

I am great Pillars of Eternity fan, i very like the game (5th. my top10 rpg list), and thank you Obsidian for this awesome game! So i wait the Pillars of Eternity 2.

My first questions:

Hey Daermon (you beautiful fan you),

First I have a question for you. What 4 games are you placing ahead of Pillars of Eternity?

Also curious

-Sking

• Like 10

Hello!

My first questions:

Hey Daermon (you beautiful fan you),

First I have a question for you. What 4 games are you placing ahead of Pillars of Eternity?

Also curious

-Sking

Hey Sking! :)

My list:

1. Witcher 1-3

2. Baldur's Gate 1-2

3. Final Fantasy 8

4. Dragon Age - Origins

5. Pillars of Eternity

• Like 2

My list:

3. Final Fantasy 8

I'm curious. Did you play any of the preceding 7?

8 was actually the last one I played all the way through. Having played 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and FFTactics, I rank 8 last amongst the FFs I've played. Still a good game overall though.

You should play Planescape Torment. ;)

Edit:

Talking about FFVIII reminded me to listen to a great song I hadn't heard in a long time. Final Fantasies always had great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQv3leISYU

Edited by Valsuelm

My list:

3. Final Fantasy 8

I'm curious. Did you play any of the preceding 7?

8 was actually the last one I played all the way through. Having played 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and FFTactics, I rank 8 last amongst the FFs I've played. Still a good game overall though.

You should play Planescape Torment. ;)

Edit:

Talking about FFVIII reminded me to listen to a great song I hadn't heard in a long time. Final Fantasies always had great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQv3leISYU

The FFVIII song was sung by a chinese singer. The song is "Eyes on Me".

I have a feeling we'll get both Tyranny and hopefully a World of Darkness game announced before any major news on Pillars of Eternity 2. There's also the Pathfinder IP, and whether they're doing anything substantial with that outside of the Adventure Card Game - which should be great. Their partnership with Paradox might be the best thing ever. These are good reasons to wait. And it'll provide them with ample time to give the sequel pre-production and not rush/force anything. 

Load times on PoE are fine. Either you need a new computer or are far too lost down the instagratify me road.

No they most definitely are not.

20ish seconds to load a 16mbytes compressed save is ludicrous.

I'm running PoE from a beast of a computer and the (late game) load times are certainly not fine.

- i7-3820

- 32gbytes of actual brand RAM, aka not stupid noname with sluggish timings

- 840 pro SSD from samsung

- Areca hardware raid1 sporting 2x western digital red HDDs

- who cares about the GFX at this point, but then, asus GTX 980 Ti

I've tried moving PoE from the hardware RAID to the SSD and the loading times have not improved.

So yeah, agree to disagree here.

Agree to disagree very much.

Edited by dam
  • Like 2

No they most definitely are not.

20ish seconds to load a 16mbytes compressed save is ludicrous.

I'm running PoE from a beast of a computer and the (late game) load times are certainly not fine.

- i7-3820

- 32gbytes of actual brand RAM, aka not stupid noname with sluggish timings

- 840 pro SSD from samsung

- Areca hardware raid1 sporting 2x western digital red HDDs

- who cares about the GFX at this point, but then, asus GTX 980 Ti

​I believe you, but it's much longer than what I see on a slightly lower end system.  No SSD, half the RAM, no RAID, similar CPU, and the longest load times I saw in late game were maybe half that on Ubuntu 15.10.

​Anyway, does a few extra seconds really matter that much?  I typically load the game once and then play for at least an hour, sometimes 2.  The zone-to-zone loads seem pretty fast, just a few seconds, and then typically I explore the same zone for quite a while.  30-40 min seems typical.  There's a few seconds of more frequent delays when popping about cities going in and out of buildings talking to people, but the buildings are smallish and those areas load quickly, usually from disk cache.

​Maybe it's from having grown up with games loaded from 300 baud cassette which could take many minutes, and fail to load entirely one time in three because you set the volume wrong and over or under-loaded the A/D converter's sweet spot, but 5 seconds vs 15 seconds... meh.  Luxury. ;)

• Like 2