Are you going to release Tyranny on GOG?

shmerl

Don't expect any answers before actual release ;-)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wouldn't they know about such plans already now? Or you think it can be still undecided?

They really don't need to make such decision before game is in gold

Wouldn't they know about such plans already now? Or you think it can be still undecided?

I would say they probably have an idea, how it will end up. But in so many month before release, it would be foolish to say anything from marketing perspective. Because in time, the decision could be changed, and it could end up in big PR disaster afterwards. Especially, if it is true, that Paradox plans to go public on stock market :(

Edited by Mamoulian War

I would say they probably have an idea, how it will end up. But in so many month before release, it would be foolish to say anything from marketing perspective. Because in time, the decision could be changed, and it could end up in big PR disaster afterwards. Especially, if it is true, that Paradox plans to go public on stock market :(

You think that communicating such decisions later will reduce PR drawbacks? I think the opposite. The bigger of a bad surprise it is, the worse the reaction will be. Of course they can also easily say "we didn't decide yet" if it's indeed the case.

Edited by shmerl

You think that communicating such decisions later will reduce PR drawbacks? I think the opposite. The bigger of a bad surprise it is, the worse the reaction will be. Of course they can also easily say "we didn't decide yet" if it's indeed the case.

You mean that it will cause smaller uproar if they now say that game will be in GOG, but closer to release date they change their mind, than them never saying that game will be in GOG?

You mean that it will cause smaller uproar if they now say that game will be in GOG, but closer to release date they change their mind, than them never saying that game will be in GOG?

No. I'm saying that people will be less upset if they say now that they won't release it on GOG, and indeed they won't, than if they'll say nothing and then they won't. Because people can stop worrying about something irrelevant already now, instead of waiting more.

Edited by shmerl

I don't think they will because that will keep people looking at the game til it's released

How would that help exactly? I feel like it will make people only more upset, if in the end after all the "looking" they won't buy the game because distribution will be limited.

Edited by shmerl

If they announce it now, they are going to upset people that do not want to buy it on Steam.  If they announce it closer to release, they are going to upset the same group of people.

What if the situation changes?  What do they actually gain by announcing distribution this early?  

If they announce it now, they are going to upset people that do not want to buy it on Steam.  If they announce it closer to release, they are going to upset the same group of people.

What if the situation changes?  What do they actually gain by announcing distribution this early?  

If situation can change, they can say - it's not yet clear at this point. If it can't change, as I said, they can spare people all this time waiting for the clarification in false hope that it might actually work out.

They could announce it now and lose those "potential" customers immediately, or announce it later and try to sell them on the game with marketing/previews/general hype in the intervening time. There is absolutely no incentive from a business perspective to announce that decision even if it's 100% set in stone.

Sure, it could save some people some time, but that's hardly of any benefit to Paradox: if you're not going to buy their games anyway then they've got zero incentive to not waste your time.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

They could announce it now and lose those "potential" customers immediately, or announce it later and try to sell them on the game with marketing/previews/general hype in the intervening time. There is absolutely no incentive from a business perspective to announce that decision even if it's 100% set in stone.

Sure, it could save some people some time, but that's hardly of any benefit to Paradox: if you're not going to buy their games anyway then they've got zero incentive to not waste your time.

I didn't really understand your point. If Paradox care about those potential customers, they can stop this exclusivity behavior and can release the game outside of Steam too. That's the only way not to lose them. If they don't care about those customers and prefer to exclude them with Seam exclusive release, then what's the problem with announcing it now? Delaying such announcements doesn't make things any better, only worse IMHO, because people will get more upset in the end.

Edited by shmerl

Because not everyone is black and white with regards to Steam. Someone like myself for instance will generally be more willing to take a punt on a game I'm not sure I'd like, provided it's DRM-free. But it it's a game I know I want, then I'll relent and accept whatever platform it comes on. Delaying any announcement buys them more time to try to sell the game for people in that grey area, and comes with no downside to them whatsoever since the most strident anti-Steam people are lost sales either way.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

OK, that makes some sense. In my experience however those who don't use Steam aren't going to start using it because someone attempts to sell anything to them through PR. They don't use it because of Steam's inherent issues, and those don't change because of some new release. Ans I'd expect there to be less people in the grey area. But I guess Paradox assume the opposite. I doubt they have any research to back that up though, but it would be interesting to see some numbers.

Edited by shmerl
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well at least two :-P

Many thanks as well. It is always welcome to have more choices available!

Edited by Mamoulian War

Good show there.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If it's on GoG... That is where I will buy it. If it isn't then I can deal with Steam. I just hope for Linux support.

It takes a hell of a lot to get me to buy a Steam game; (and it often involves deception, as in the case of the New Vegas collectors boxed set ~pre-ordered).

If its on GoG, I'll probably buy it, if it is Steam only, I'll most likely never play it. :(

*I'd say the same of the new Bard's Tale and Torment; but I have them pre-ordered, and only assume [hope] that it will be the GoG versions; I'm not really certain of their release plans just yet.

The Steam games that I do buy, generally (almost exclusively) come as part of a humble bundle; but when I uninstall New Vegas, I'll uninstall Steam. [it's the reason I installed Steam ~begrudged]

Edited by Gizmo

Wasn't there a rumour somewhere that New Vegas might be coming to GOG, or do I need to take my medication again?

Edit: Great minds and whatnot.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

*I'd say the same of the new Bard's Tale and Torment; but I have them pre-ordered, and only assume [hope] that it will be the GoG versions; I'm not really certain of their release plans just yet.

The Torment: Tides of Numenera Backer Portal tells me that Backers who are interested in a DRM-free copy from GOG will be able to exchange their Steam key after final release. GOG Version(s) for The Bard's Tale IV were specifically mentioned in the Kickstarter tiers so that'll most likely happen as well, assuming nothing goes wrong with the development of the game and inXile's new studio.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Isn't New Vegas supposed to come to GOG? I thought there was a leak or something that said so. I might be wrong.

Yep. Probably once the summer sales are out of the way.

The same guy who was polling the Galaxy database had already semi confirmed Tyranny as coming to GOG a month or so ago, a whole bunch of unreleased games had support pages already set up including Tyranny. Still, good to have a formal confirmation.

• Like 1