The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Companion Combos? Sounds interesting.

Tyranny seems to be going in the right direction. But after Pillars, colour me cautiously intrigued.

Any news on engine used? Really obvious that it's Unity since they ported most of Pillars of Eternity's mechanics over, but I'm hoping for it to be at least Unity 5, otherwise I'm afraid I might actually get cancer.

One worry I do have is how they're gonna tackle the whole "evil won" thing without controversial things. I mean if you actually want to make a game where evil won, it's gotta include some messed up **** to have any impact, otherwise there's no point because every game has murder. Kinda hope the characters aren't edgy-teenager tier of cringe-worthiness too.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

1. What is Tyranny's world about?
  2. Will it be at the same size as Pillars of Eternity's one ?
  3. Is the siege theme apparent throught the game?

1. A fantasy world with magic, two races (humans and beastmen, you can only play a human) and naturally occurring god-tier fighters called Exarchs, who tends to go on to become Archons, who themselves wear titles like "Archon of War" or "Archon of Justice". Those Archons are apparently immortals until the next Archon comes to defeat them. In this world's recent history, a dictator by the name of Kyros has conquered the entire world and the player is one of his top enforcers.

2. Nope, much smaller.

3. There is no siege theme in the game.

• Like 1

What's a siege theme, is it a strategy thing ... I thought Tyranny was using one or two strategic elements.  

There was an gameplay video with a siege involved. I asked will this be the theme in the game of was just gameplay showcase.

Edited by Cyseal

Some comments after seeing the gog page and reading the dev diary:

- I wish there was friendly fire. At least in the higher difficulty settings or you have the option to turn it on/off. Combat in a RPG can hardly be called tactical without it.

- If I understand this correctly, your health recovers automatically after combat and all abilities use a cooldown. So you don´t have to rest unless you get injuries. I don´t really like this, maybe I am too old school.

looks like they took several things from other games:

- The injury system looks similar to Drakensang. There a char gets a wound when he takes more damage than his constitution damage and fails a saving throw for self control (2 wounds if you take damage more then twice your constitution and so on). Every wound lowers most of your stats and saves. When you get more then 4 wounds, your char dies no matter how many HP he has . When a char loses all hp or gets too much wounds, he is crippled and totally useless in combat. You need need herbs or spells and sufficient skill to remove crippling or wounds.

- Tyranny reminds me of "Age of Decadence". The world looks similar and you can also choose if you want to be a light dodge fighter or a heavy block fighter. Would be nice if different weapon types have different special abilities (you can impale enemies with a spear or make a powerful but slow swing with a hammer.)

- Are those combo attacs similar to dragon age:Origins or is it something different?

I am not sure about the "learning by doing" leveling system. In many games you could exploit it by repeating useless things (elder scrolls, betrayal at krondor, . . .) You should not get the desire to jump, run or sneak all the time or repair everything after every use. Since they will stick to this system, I think you should only get a certain amount of skill per encounter.

example: There is an encounter that gives 1 exp. If you talk to avoid the encounter, you get 1 exp in persuation. If you fight only with your sword, you get 1exp in swords. If you attack with a dagger, block an attack with a shield and cast a fireball, you get 0.33 exp for daggers, block and fire magic.

So you cannot maximize your skill by letting the enemy hit you forever to raise your block skill, use a bad weapon to have more attacks to kill the enemy or you heal the enemy to get more attacks and a better heal skill.

Why does tyranny have higher system requirements than POE? Looks like I have to buy a new computer soon.

I will buy tyranny, but not on the first day. I had to quit my first POE playthrough because of many bugs. Now (finished POE with version 3.2 and both expansions) the game works fine and is more balanced and more fun. Obsidian makes really good games, but unfortuanatly they are also known as bugsidian.

Edited by Madscientist

The removal of FF is potentialy disappointing. It's fun when you have some really strong AoE that's situational because of FF and you're setting up good situations with your team to take advantage. Just because the majority of used skills is party friendly doesn't mean that hostile skills have no place.

• Like 5

Is it possible to be released on consoles, eventually?

Honestly don't see it. One of the main things the PC exclusivity of PoE/possible Tyranny provides is the freedom to design game mechanics however they want to design them. I really don't see how a RTwP isometric game would play on consoles.

I hate Unity.

It looks... Distinctly Pillars-like. I'm okay with this, except for the UI, but eh - I guess I've seen worse. Anyway, is the game only going to have 4 characters party?

Yes, 4 characters instead of 6.

• Like 1

RTwP requires a lot of micromanaging usually, so the gameplay style only works with mouse and keyboard.

Also, the console crowd doesn't seem so eager to play this type of games (neither D:OS nor WL2 conversions were much successful). Which is fine by me, since the game seems already dumbed down enough, without it being simplified even more to appeal the PS4/XO players.

The interviewer is so ****ing incompetent. Learning something about the game and the developer you're going to interview takes too much effort, I guess.

E3 is such a poop show. I don't even know why people bother with it. 90% of it is cringe, 10% is rehashes.

Also Tyranny doesn't have classes, you get EXP by doing stuff, and there's spell crafting.

Already looks more fun than PoE.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

Mikey D. just said Obs will live-stream a Tyranny session this Thursday with Brian Heins directing a poor hapless intern on the keyboard.

Not sure where, should be the Obsidian Twitch TV. 

*oh, noon Thursday PDT on Paradox Twitch. ehhh ...

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

This is pretty much the only way I'll end up getting it.

Especially if the system requirements are greater than PoE.  PoE barely ran on my PoS laptop.  And I'm not upgrading just for one game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mikey D. just said Obs will live-stream a Tyranny session this Thursday with Brian Heins directing a poor hapless intern on the keyboard.

Not sure where, should be the Obsidian Twitch TV. 

*oh, noon Thursday PDT on Paradox Twitch. ehhh ...

Where did he announce that?