The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

This game is actually starting to sound like it has potential.

I especially like the idea that it'll be shorter with lots more replay value.

I only managed to play PoE once because of the length and am not prepared to sink another 100ish hours into it just to see some small variations in the quests.

Was Unity 5 even out when they started working on the game? I would imagine changing engine version mid development isn't all that easy.

No, I don't believe it was out. It isn't easy to change during development, but it's been done. It's hard to say because we don't have a definitive date for this project's beginning afaik.

I know Star Citizen has done it (they've also been converting their version of CryEngine to entirely 64bit), but that's a huge difference in resources for Obsidian compared to Cloud Imperium.

Was Unity 5 even out when they started working on the game? I would imagine changing engine version mid development isn't all that easy.

No, I don't believe it was out. It isn't easy to change during development, but it's been done. It's hard to say because we don't have a definitive date for this project's beginning afaik.

I know Star Citizen has done it (they've also been converting their version of CryEngine to entirely 64bit), but that's a huge difference in resources for Obsidian compared to Cloud Imperium.

Well Star Citizen is a Behemoth, for a smaller scale studio, changing engine in middle of developement is very expensive idea. Duke Nukem Forever and Final Fantasy XV are good enough examples for anyone to think really hard, if engine switch is a viable option for them.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well Star Citizen is a Behemoth, for a smaller scale studio, changing engine in middle of developement is very expensive idea. Duke Nukem Forever and Final Fantasy XV are good enough examples for anyone to think really hard, if engine switch is a viable option for them.

I agree, I even said the differences in resources for SC and Tyranny are huge.

Duke Nukem Forever changed engines like what, 4 or 5 times?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And did it help the game in the end? I do not think so.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

They did and it took them like 10 years to actually finish the game? If you have tight budget and schedule you just can't afford "setbacks" like switching engine in the middle of the development phase. Very early on into development, sure, but later on not really.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

tyrannys-player-character-the-fatebinder

Central character is obvous reference to Roman Legionnaire, but... this concept art look not cool really. I meant this good looks like weirdo cosplayer instead of badass guy. Why Roman Legions has been scary someday? Because they is quintessence of militarism - they kill your daddy, raep your mommy  and turn you to slavery, ... but today they looks too obsolete -in modern times we have new "heroes".

6e35694fced7a6b2a41b2f8c449f7280.jpg

Because of this Jack Kirby drawing Romans in modern style (for 70s)

1_6b1079ef4e2fa9ada2266de495d08107.jpg

roman-field.jpg

Actually Obsidians just can use modern Legionaries of Third Rome instead - they looks much more badass anyway.

146461168412723983.jpg

Torment: Tides of Numenera switched from Unity 4 to Unity 5 during development. It's not unheard of. Obviously it's something you want to do closer to the start of development than the middle or the end, though.

but at least they switched it. unity 4 was HORRIBLE.

games with unity 5 run so much better and it looked better too

• Like 1

New short story by Paul Kirsch, called Commission :

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/06/03/commission/

****ing feminist pandering all but one of the people in positions of authority are women what about the menz

The weird thing is that half of this military groups seem to be composed by women, which makes little sense since men are physically stronger and therefore are generally better soldiers. I mean, yeah, it's possible to have some skilled female fighters but so many of them? No way.

And I'm not against having some powerful women in fantasy (or other genres, for that matter) games, but making them equal to men in mere physical strenght is beyond retarded.

Uh...it's a fantasy world with magic.  You can believe that people shoot fire out of their fingers, but it is retarded for women to have the same stats as men?

more significant is that tyranny is a game with a magical setting.  in the real world, men are stronger and typically better than women at activities that would be mimicking combat.  it is a scary truth for most women that the average man is considerable stronger than is they-- ask any woman that has been physical assaulted by a man just how terrifying the truth can be. past pee-wee ages in sports, girls/women become a handicap on a sport team comprised primarily o' men.  that is reality and the reality for women kinda sucks in regards to physical strength and athletic abilities.  

but guess what? tyranny is a game. is games that allows people to be something they ain't and do things they could never do in real life.  in reality women is weaker and less physical capable than is men.  so what? why on earth would a game developer wanna tell potential female gamers that if they desire to create a female game character, their choice is gonna be handicapped compared to a male character?  what possible reason is there gonna be to effective handicap female characters? some misplaced notion o' verisimilitude?  biology and physics is ubiquitous hurdles to women in the real world.  in a game world, biology and physics is the developer's sock puppets.  if Gromnir were a woman, we would likely fume and rage at the manifest unfairness o' the real universe. 'course, who claimed that the universe were fair, eh? well, obsidian is the folks creating the tyranny universe, and it is a game universe. kinda an integral quality o' successful games is that they is fundamental fair.  

always strikes us as jackarse stoopid when developers force women to be weaker or slower or less athletic in a game.  freaking unclear on concept o' games to even consider such silliness... not to mention complete oblivious to concerns o' potential female purchasers.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ololo so funny buthhurt of white knights here: "blah-blah women are weak, can't fight  and must be protected". Meanwhile  in real world Western white knights (Wehrmacht in WW2 or US army in Vietnam are classical white knights )  often has been beaten by women warriors.

AUSPilotCapturedbyaWomanGuerrilla300.jpg

775+confirmed+kills+in+one+picture,+1945

In ancient times same story...

0_27209_5c85b95d_L.jpg

0_2720b_f6c797b4_L.jpg

• Like 1

The fact that some women can train themselves and defeat males in battle/combat does not mean that the average woman is stronger than a man nor that she's more apt to military activities. 

Also, Tiranny being a fantasy game does not make any less dumb having elite soldier groups or amies filled with women. Humans in fantasy games and books have the same physical traits than us real humans, so men are usually taller, larger and stronger (and anyone who has spent even one day in his/her life practicing or even watching some martial arts/combat sport knows how much those traits are important... spoiler: it's why we have weight classes in boxing, MMA, etc.).

Some women could become good fighters, but most will just be worse than the average dude and will have to make other career paths (be it something that involves politics and intrigues, magic, charming, and so on), possibly gaining even more money and power than by joining the army.