The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Asider from Dungeon Keeper and Bible Black, Game of Thrones is the only game that did "evil" well.

EDIT: of course, Game of Thrones arrpeegee, not the strategy game

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Do we know that the Earth is regarded as feminine in the world of Tyranny?

Doesn't have much with how the world is regarded, the word terra is a feminine noun, so terratus is not a valid form in Latin.

The point I was trying to make was that maybe it is a masculine noun in their worlds version of Latin, hence Terratus.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's probably Alpha Protocol that allows me a fair degree of hope that the "evil" path may be well implemented, Michael Thorton Inc. is probably the most satisfying ending one can achieve. 

AP was decent, but I think it can't hold a candle to the bone-chillingly cold stuff you could pull in PST, KotOR2 or MotB.

Which, of course, doesn't go against the point, quite the opposite. Seriously though, there is not a single thing we've heard about this game lately that doesn't fill me with anticipation.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm very excited for this game chaps.

Since we start on the side of evil by default, I'm guessing your role-playing choices are going to vaguely be:

a) Guy who fully supports evil Warlord / Guy who follows evil law to the letter and brutally punishes minor transgressions.

b) World-weary guy who sort of regrets the whole situation and would like to minimize damage (a good guy doing his best in a bad situation)

Alternatively, since it doesn't sound like there are any outside enemies left, I'm guessing this will ultimately be a faction vs faction storyline. If each faction has a sufficiently interesting ideological viewpoint, and plays out differently, then this could be interesting. The thing is, in a large amount of fantasy games, factions end up just being opposite but equal mirror images of each other and really boring. This needs to be avoided at all costs.

Edited by Heijoushin

Since we start on the side of evil by default, I'm guessing your role-playing choices are going to vaguely be:

a) Guy who fully supports evil Warlord / Guy who follows evil law to the letter and brutally punishes minor transgressions.

b) World-weary guy who sort of regrets the whole situation and would like to minimize damage (a good guy doing his best in a bad situation)

c) Guy who goes out of his way to inflict more pain and suffering when ever he can even if none was warranted, and often even when he shouldn't.

Edited by trulez

Why do so many of Obsidian's games' discussion sections get hosted on someone else's forums?

I'd like to discuss the game, but don't feel like signing up to another forum just to do so.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Obsidian's first two games were Bioware sequels, so that might have set the trend. Oddly, some publisher-backed games still managed to get forums hosted here.

There's no problem talking about Tyranny here, of course.

• Like 2

I'd like to discuss the game, but don't feel like signing up to another forum just to do so.

That's the whole reason I created this thread, to talk about the game here

And I already had a Paradox account but I don't really like it over there

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeaaaah... I took a look over there but it seemed kind of toxic. 

So, continuing the conversation, they say it will be released this year. Is it just me, or does that seem kind of... optimistic? 

• Like 1

So, continuing the conversation, they say it will be released this year. Is it just me, or does that seem kind of... optimistic?

Keep in mind that the tools were built at the onset of PoE's development. That is a lion's share of the work they don't have to worry about. They have to do some design for their attributes, abilities, and other systems. However, some of that can be brought from PoE. Certain systems for the Stronghold, for instance, need not be overhauled. The way to implement models, animations, backgrounds, audio, etc is there. Let us not forget this project didn't start just last week, and most likely began a long while back. Possible a year or two. So, I think this year isn't optimistic, but feasible.

It is similar to what I've said to people expecting a flawless PoE, and tearing it down on the PoE forums after its launch. They wanted a BG2 experience, but even Bioware had a game to get use to the engine they built prior to releasing BG2. I expect PoE2 will be better because more time will be building the game (story, level design, combat encounters, etc) instead of creating tools and systems on an engine with which the devs are unfamiliar.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1

Game has most likely been in development from later half of 2014. Also they are building game on existing tech and they also have people that are familiar with said tech and they also have production pipelines to produce content on said tech. So only thing that could prevent release game this year is if they aim too ambitious scope.

That makes it at least 25 months so far, PoE was 28-9 from start of pre-production to release. Paradox announced the release of Hearths of Iron 4 to be the 6th of June, so it seems Tyranny won't be released until August/September, at the earliest. That will at least equal PoE's development time, though it being longer seems likely.

Huh. Here's something I wasn't aware of: the original Stormlands had the exact same concept as this game. NeoGAF post from 2012:

From what I gather it was a new IP. A fantasy RPG that takes the idea of "what if Sauron won in the LOTR trilogy" and runs with the concept of a game that takes place in a world conquered by evil.

I don't know for sure that this was the game, but I know that it was what they were pitching last year.

Huh. Here's something I wasn't aware of: the original Stormlands had the exact same concept as this game. NeoGAF post from 2012:

From what I gather it was a new IP. A fantasy RPG that takes the idea of "what if Sauron won in the LOTR trilogy" and runs with the concept of a game that takes place in a world conquered by evil.

I don't know for sure that this was the game, but I know that it was what they were pitching last year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36021079&postcount=202

Yeah, one of the devs said a while back that they had secured the making of a previous project (that fell through) with a new publisher. They also said it was scaled back from the previous incarnation, and I'm guessing they scaled it back via isometric camera and text heavy.

They've been talking about that pitch ever since Dungeon Siege III was announced. I don't think anyone was ever able to confirm it was Stormlands, though.

This game's been in development since at least February 2014. Check out Brian Heins's Linkedin page.

Okay, so rather than after Pillars of Eternity, you could say it was developed alongside Pillars of Eternity.

IMHO One of the weakest parts of POE was the background story that the player crafts for their character (Starting from the conversation with Calisca and continuing through all the cheesy past-life flashbacks) Since this kind of concept seems to be a selling point in Tyranny, I hope they've developed a more interesting way to do it.

Brian Heins podcast (42:26 onwards): https://soundcloud.com/usgamernet/axe-of-the-blood-god-episode-49-salt-sanctuary-and-an-interview-with-tyranny-director-brian-heins

God I hate having to listen to podcasts. If it was just a written article I would be over with it way sooner.

I know what you mean. Its like video tutorials/walkthroughs. Sometimes they help, but most of the time they're just more long-winded.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Matthew Perez - Area Design (LinkedIn)

Since I can't edit my post #88 in this thread is it possible some Mod could do it?

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.