The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

I'd guess Obsidian has three projects in various stages of development.  That seems to be what they are comfortable with based on their history.  

They have at least four and five if you count post mortem of PoE.

Armored Warfare (which is in its final states of production I think) 

Pathfinder Card game (also seems to closing end of its production cycle)

Tyranny (also in closing release)

Project Louisiana (seems to be just started)

Pillars of Eternity (post expansion release patching and bug fixing, on its way to grave figuratively speaking, but still takes some man hours)

There is also possibility for (because of what Obsidian's people tell in their social media and professional networking accounts like linkedIn)

1 or 2 unannounced projects (that can be somewhere from pitching to production) 

I don't think the work on Armored Warfare is anywhere close to being finished. They are very busy making more content for it all the time and just because the game gets officially released won't change that fact.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I don't think the work on Armored Warfare is anywhere close to being finished. They are very busy making more content for it all the time and just because the game gets officially released won't change that fact.

That is nature of MMOs. But I was thinking them actually changing status from open beta to released. Then game moves from production to post release support. Of course classic phases of development are bit poor to describe products that continue to evolve after they are "finished".

Which is why we have seen in past quite lot of web services that are in beta for years, just because their developers didn't have better vocabulary to describe state of their product.

Edited by Elerond

That is nature of MMOs. But I was thinking them actually changing status from open beta to released. Then game moves from production to post release support. Of course classic phases of development are bit poor to describe products that continue to evolve after they are "finished".

Which is why we have seen in past quite lot of web services that are in beta for years, just because their developers didn't have better vocabulary to describe state of their product.

Yes, but even with post release support AW is going to have big team working on it. They can't really slack around in terms of updates when they are going against WoT. The playerbase is constantly expecting new maps, tanks and other updates.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yes, but even with post release support AW is going to have big team working on it. They can't really slack around in terms of updates when they are going against WoT. The playerbase is constantly expecting new maps, tanks and other updates.

Yup, but that will depend quite lot how my.com feels that game is doing. Some MMOs get lots of content after release and some just die because their publisher don't feel that they bring enough cash in the house. Obsidian most likely has contract for this year to produce content with option to additional content in future if game does well.

Although Obsidian is hiring quite lot of people which usually indicates that they have secured projects that engage quite lot of people. And it would not be surprising if AW is one of the those projects.

You keep saying that, about PoE 2, but for some reason I don't think Louisiana is P2. Not trying to argue.

It's not much, but I'll note that JES has taken to using locations from the project he's working on as his own personal location on Twitter, and it currently lists "Revua, Sailing SxSE", Revua being one of the Vailian Republics and a location that couldn't be visited in the base game and its expansions.

Now, is it safe to assume that it means he's working on a Pillars of Eternity sequel that possibly uses one of the Vailian Republics as a starting point? Not at all, it's a flimsy link at best. But Obsidian's CEO has been pretty insistent about the fact that they want to continue developing the IP and stopped just short of confirming they want to make a sequel in the press release for The White March Part II's release:

Best of all, we’ve got plenty more stories we plan to tell within the world of Pillars of Eternity.

While I doubt Obsidian will turn into a Pillars of Eternity-themed factory, starting work on a sequel now (which would be, at the very least, expected to release in 2+ years) just makes sense*.

* assuming Obsidian has a solid plan for how to fund this game, anyway, but I can imagine crowdfunding would be a safe bet

Apparently the world is called Terratus. :grin:

Earth that is, would that be the translation in Latin?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's some sort of variant of it is, yes. "Terra" is Latin for Earth.

(e): "tus" translates to Frankincense in Latin. Probably isn't what's meant, though, :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I can craft my own spells? Sweet. 2016 GOTY.

I'm getting terrible flashbacks to Oblivion...

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I can craft my own spells? Sweet. 2016 GOTY.

I'm getting terrible flashbacks to Oblivion...

Might it be something similar to a Chanter's proclamations in Poe? Words of Power arranged to varying effect.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Isometric Elder Scrolls game?

The character system is classless with improve-by-use progression, although there are still experience points and levels.

There's going to be some sort of spellcrafting system, but Obsidian aren't ready to talk about it yet.
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

That would be Terra, as Bartimaeus said. Terratus sounds like something a twelve year old would come up with, thinking it's the coolest thing ever, because he knows a word in Latin. Though, maybe I'm being a little to harsh.  :p

• Like 1

That would be Terra, as Bartimaeus said. Terratus sounds like something a twelve year old would come up with, thinking it's the coolest thing ever, because he knows a word in Latin. Though, maybe I'm being a little to harsh.  :p

Well it can be Teratus with a single "r". Not that it's an improvement.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I would have thought that the -tus ending would imply a state of being, Terra being simply Earth. Though I must admit my Latin lessons are now four decades or more old and purposely repressed, the teacher was a stern veteran who liked to punish mispronunciation with a rap across the knuckle from his cane, stung somewhat.

Edit: I still get itchy fingers when hearing Latin, from BGs garbled spell words to Kains Vae Victus.

Edit#2: Then again it might well have a dual meaning and derive from Terror linguistically to reflect the state of the gameworld, though that's probably overthinking it somewhat.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

I totally misread your post the first time around, whoops. How about we just call the two prospects roughly even? :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

Isometric Elder Scrolls game?

The character system is classless with improve-by-use progression, although there are still experience points and levels.

There's going to be some sort of spellcrafting system, but Obsidian aren't ready to talk about it yet.

Okay, so after hearing "isometric Dragon Age 2", this is about the SECOND harshest way I think you could describe the game. However, just because Oblivion completely sucked at using this kind of system, doesn't mean it has to, too. :)

• Like 1

Right, well this one called for a quick perusal of my reference literature: As far as I can tell the Latin suffix -tus mimics the English suffix -ed in most ways, so with that in mind Terra as Earth would with the -tus suffix become Earthed, an Earth that is current? For instance a common use that we all know would be Manus, hand, becoming having a hand when made into Manuatus.

Perfect Participles, verbs, nouns, and all of the boring stuff i've left out as they serve to confuse more than illuminate i've found, I often get lost myself when using them.

Edit: Romanes eunt domus.

Edit#2: I really should find something better to do with my time.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!