The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

What I think might be interesting to see would be the common folks reaction to the Evil Empire, so they have changed masters from the feudal nobles who worked them to an early grave and used divine right to secure their position, and now they are ruled by a conqueror who waded through rivers of blood (including some of their own no doubt) to claim rulership. Will they see any real difference, will their taxes change, will law and order be maintained, will they be able to make a living, will in the end tugging the forelock and lowering ones eyes to one armoured tyrant be so different from the old armoured tyrants?

I would absolutely love to play the role of an administrator who is concerned with such matters, or maybe even risen from the commons and determined to give something back. Never mind the morality of the new lord, what can I do to expedite his rule, stabilise his realm, maintain peace, boost the economy and raise the standard of living for all by the quickest method possible. In other words make the realm strong and wealthy, for the sinews of warfare are wealth, but also benefit everyone at the same time.

Edit: The Bastardborn sound quite interesting in the manner of the numerous Fitzwhatevers who were so influential in medieval history, to have a ruling class arise from the Bastardry sounds quite possible, and for them to glory in that name then is not so unusual. I look forward to seeing this implemented.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hope the Steam store page is not indicative of the game's writing original.gif

"Players interact with the population of the populace..."

The populace population is popular to populate.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I kinda worry that even in "a world where evil has won" (isn't that basically Warhammer 40K?) I'll still be forced to play the hero.  Basically a "you're a commander in the evil army, but you secretly long to overthrow the tyrant and free the people" deal.  I'm totally fine with that being an option, but I also want an option to be a ruthless tyrant myself totally cool with oppression and suffering and my desire to overthrow the tyrant comes from wanting to be at the top of the food chain ruling with an iron fist myself.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hm...someone should make a game where you are a DMV clerk.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now that's evil!

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hm...someone should make a game where you are a DMV clerk.

I'm down for a game that's dark, but I don't know about THAT dark.  :o

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What I think might be interesting to see would be the common folks reaction to the Evil Empire, so they have changed masters from the feudal nobles who worked them to an early grave and used divine right to secure their position

To be fair, we have no idea how romanticized the pre-Evil Overlord times will be in the game.

I kinda worry that even in "a world where evil has won" (isn't that basically Warhammer 40K?) 

...No?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well hopefully some thought goes into the common folks situation, station, and predicament rather than the usual handwaving that is all too prevalant throughout CRPGs. It's all very well focusing on the elite, but food needs to be put on the table, taxes paid, trade conducted and all the real work of a civilisation be maintained by the masses as usual.

Indeed I think one could make a very decent RPG out of something paralleiling Wat Tyler's revolt, and the changes that occurred after the Black Death ravaged Europe.

Tea for the teapot!

Since funcroc was apparently assasinated by Feargus, someone else has to pick up the slack and come up with everyone who is working on this game.

Anthony Davis confirmed few of people working on the game (outside the few we already know of):

Brian Heins - Project Director
Matt Singh - Lead Producer

Tim Cain - Programmer

Dan Spitzley - Programmer

Constant Gaw - Lead level designer

Brian Menze - Lead Artist

From LinkedIn:

Paul Kirsch - Narrative Designer

Dini McMurry - Level Designer

Maybe:

Kathryn Megan Starks - Narrative Designer on unannounced project

Matt MacLean - Designer on Unannounced Project (could be PoE2)

That's all I could find out with my basic version of LinkedIn, not sure if it shows everyone's profile fully.

• Like 5

Hate the living, love the dead.

Brian Menze as lead artist. No wonder its so pretty.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The "Lead Producer" would be the one most responsible for creating the rules systems in a new IP?

That would be either Project Director with Lead Designer/Lead Systems Designer depending on the project and personnel involved. Josh has seemed pretty hands on when it comes to rule systems as project director (as an example).

Matt MacLean has had previous experience in such role on South Park, Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3. So he might be the lead on this game as well. On PoE he "only" did some additional writing and narrative design. (Source: Mobygames) So he should/could be free for this project in larger role.

• Like 1

I'm really excited about this game, love dark setting, love cRPGs, which Obs delivered with style in PoE, but I can't wrap my head around one thing:

There were few huge discussions where devs (rather writers I guess) of PoE confessed how much pain in the ass was creating brand new universe with unique lore, rule sets and etc, involving lots of descriptions and attempts to make this brand new world sound, which is perfectly understandable. But now there's another unique new universe in making, right? Is it somehow related to PoE? If not, wouldn't it be easier for teams to get together and use PoE as basis for new stories, picking maybe different historical periods of certain universe instead of creating something absolutely alien? It will cut the job nicely for devs and by more "friendly" for players to get into... that goes without saying that PoE already has very solid lore, and enormous basis which can be used and built upon however you like (IMHO) plus it looks like setting would have some aspects in common...

This is a regular publisher/developer deal this time, the publisher has the IP so I don't think that Obsidian would use the Pillars Of Eternity IP. As far as lore goes, this time they don't have the weight of the Kickstarter's promises so they can limit themselves. For example, it seems we will only get two species (humans and beasts, whatever that is) this time rather than the five we has in Pillars.

• Like 1

I probably won't buy this. PoE was a disappointment to me. Unless they radically change the class/talent/spell system, I'm likely to stay away. It looks like this game might have a strong PS:T influence, which is encouraging--but Obsidian no longer has the benefit of the doubt for me. As an anecdote, the trailer gave me strong Conan The Barbarian vibes. I'm not entirely sure why.

• Like 1

As an anecdote, the trailer gave me strong Conan The Barbarian vibes. I'm not entirely sure why.

What we've seen of the game so far definitely projects more of a sword & sorcery rather than traditional fantasy vibe, so that's not unusual I think.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

This is a regular publisher/developer deal this time, the publisher has the IP so I don't think that Obsidian would use the Pillars Of Eternity IP. As far as lore goes, this time they don't have the weight of the Kickstarter's promises so they can limit themselves. For example, it seems we will only get two species (humans and beasts, whatever that is) this time rather than the five we has in Pillars.

How come everyone is so sure the IP will belong to Paradox?

I'm really excited about this game, love dark setting, love cRPGs, which Obs delivered with style in PoE, but I can't wrap my head around one thing:

There were few huge discussions where devs (rather writers I guess) of PoE confessed how much pain in the ass was creating brand new universe with unique lore, rule sets and etc, involving lots of descriptions and attempts to make this brand new world sound, which is perfectly understandable. But now there's another unique new universe in making, right? Is it somehow related to PoE? If not, wouldn't it be easier for teams to get together and use PoE as basis for new stories, picking maybe different historical periods of certain universe instead of creating something absolutely alien? It will cut the job nicely for devs and by more "friendly" for players to get into... that goes without saying that PoE already has very solid lore, and enormous basis which can be used and built upon however you like (IMHO) plus it looks like setting would have some aspects in common...

The evil won would be really hard to fit into the PoE lore even if set in different time. It's much easier to come up with a new setting than fit this into the PoE mold. And it gives them chance to do different things with magic and other rule systems as well.

Also, since they are most likely making PoE2 by now, releasing only games into the Pillars of Eternity setting would be risky and shortsighted, when they've got the chance to broaden their portfolio and maybe (depending on the deal) get to create a new IP and setting to release future games in.

Not to mention, not everyone liked Pillars of Eternity, whether it was the setting or the rule system/gameplay, creating very similar game to PoE would not cater to those (especially when they've got that all ready covered with PoE2) potential customers.

• Like 1

It's a safe assumption, given where the forums are, who is pushing the announcements, etc.  Obsidian does not have a long history of owning or leasing IP's, they typically are brought in by a publisher to develop a project and they are paid for that.  Less risk and less reward.

It's a safe assumption, given where the forums are, who is pushing the announcements, etc.  Obsidian does not have a long history of owning or leasing IP's, they typically are brought in by a publisher to develop a project and they are paid for that.  Less risk and less reward.

Typically yes, but in this case it's something they've created from scratch. Typically they are doing work on sequels to other's IPs with the sole exception of Alpha Protocol and Pillars of Eternity.