The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Could someone share some info about Defiance?

I think all we knew about it was "Lord of the Rings if Sauron won."

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Its Obsidian, so I'm interested...but need to know much more about it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Could someone share some info about Defiance?

I think all we knew about it was "Lord of the Rings if Sauron won."

Yes, and this basically seems like a version of it.

The trailer shows combat (even if only 3 seconds of it).  So, I doubt that will be the case, Humanoid.  However, I like your idea, and would definitely play a game along those lines, but I don't see it happening. 

34eaaa7a87702b2a08fc1999e7925027.jpg

This official concept art begs to differ!

• Like 5

So, there is gonna be a lack of choice? You gonna be forced to be 'evil'? *yawn* That is as bad as being forced to being good. It's like SJW Nazis whining that original GB had 4 males on the team so they decided to fix the sexism by pissing on one gender and  having all females. LOGICZ.

I really do hope you can choose to be 'good'. That way if you choose to remain on the 'evil' path the chocie actually matters. We'll see.

The best way to defeat bigotry and bias is not to use bigotry and bias. Or in this case, lack of actual role-playing or greatly limiting it.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So, there is gonna be a lack of choice? You gonna be forced to be 'evil'? *yawn*

As it is we know next to nothing so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

It could be interesting if the good path would be doing sacrifices for "the greater good" and every new sacrifice being slightly more horrible until you realize you have become the fantasy Hitler.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Being forced to be evil is fine if done well, though there will definitely be people fundamentally put off by the mere concept. It would certainly make a change from the default forced to do good press F to pay respects paradigm; as with most stuff it's implementation that is key.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

There are not that many games that let you play a truly evil character, fewer still that do evil character well.  In most games the "evil" options amount to nothing more than snide remarks or being rougher with someone than absolutely necessary, but you're usually still forced to carry out mostly heroic acts.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't trust Paradox with RPGs since they shelved Runemaster for not having been promoted by themselves.

Actually I don't really trust Paradox in general - buggy tutorials and games, Majesty 2 (a reason all by itself), and well yes saying "We will stop this game because it did not get promoted by us, it's developer and publisher".

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I don't trust Paradox with RPGs since they shelved Runemaster for not having been promoted by themselves.

Actually I don't really trust Paradox in general - buggy tutorials and games, Majesty 2 (a reason all by itself), and well yes saying "We will stop this game because it did not get promoted by us, it's developer and publisher".

Hah, they also continue to sell that CK2 to EU4 converter, which they constantly brake whenever they release a new DLC for either game, but update it once in a blue moon. 

in the typical crpg, quest resolutions is largely insular and discreet.  it makes sense to keep quest resolutions insular and discrete as crpgs is attempting to give the player at least the illusion o' choice. wanna save the village o' Burblestack from raiders doesn't prevent you from siding with the slavers who is gonna sell child elves for labor in the salt mines o' Nur.  that is where the problem o' game evil starts.  the guy who does random acts o' carnage and badness is always gonna seem psychotic.  w/o an overarching plan, the player who wants to do evil is necessarily gonna be viewed as a complete nutter.  if the ultimate goal is to drive back the Alien Invasion from Commonwealth space, then it seems kinda ridiculous that you is running around perpetrating petty acts o' violence and larceny. other than at the main plot points, your acts o' evil is gonna necessarily be... pointless.  can't be part o' a larger plan if is gonna be kept insular.  

tyranny, we suspect, is gonna offer a genuine rationale for many acts o' despicability.  if the goal is to be gaining influence with various factions, then am s'posing you is gonna be offered many bribe, blackmail and boondoggle options. as manifested and others observed, there is reason to believe that there is gonna be more significant strategy elements in tyranny.  build your powerbase through manipulation and terror?  sure, why not?  the ultimate goal is gonna more easily facilitate terrible acts by the player than will the typical crpg.

the thing is, am suspecting that you is gonna run into the same old crpg problem with many quests.  if tyranny has many optional and tangential side-quests, then those is gonna need be insular and discreet.  only give choice to do bad is no real choice.  each tangential quest is still gonna offer a spectrum o' choices and each such resolution is gonna be largely self-contained.  no doubt we will have some kinda reputation tracking, but nevertheless, unrelated acts o' violence and graft is gonna, as the linked page at the start o' this thread amusingly observes, result in behavior that any reasonable person would describe as psychotic.

you are gonna be able to  do evil in tyranny. it is likely that doing grand-scale acts o' terror and graft will be reasonable given the narrative.  unfortuntaely, as the linked page observes (http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/) burning down a coffe shop 'cause a regular were rude to you, or spending two weeks stalking the guy and rearranging his furniture to make him think he has gone insane, is ridiculous options.  if tyranny is a crpg with insular and discreet quest resolutions, many o' such is not gonna "do evil character well." without reasonable purpose, evil is gonna be relegated to madness for explanation... which is mighty unsatisfactory.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Runemaster has been shelved? How disappointing, still Expeditions: Vikings looks quite promising.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm having some difficulty envisioning how the premise(being the agent of a world spanning empire), is going to work in a rpg like PoE, or the IE games, which the screenshots suggest. Perhaps some kind of a strategy rpg, maybe with some King of Dragon Pass elements, would have been a better fit.

Or, maybe the screenshots are misleading. :shrugz:

Edited by Lychnidos

PoE had some nice moments but the overall story wasn't that engaging, let's hope this is better than PoE.

Hi Katphood. Your Steam profile says you've only finished Act 1 of PoE and only have 6 achievements (KS Badge, Create 3 potions, Set 5 traps, 5 Stronghold upgrades, make an adventurer and Act 1 finished) and last played 2 months ago.

How far did you get into PoE and what made you stop? Also, from your experience with playing PoE, what do you think Obsidian can do to improve Tyranny? What would win you over for you to finish Tranny as opposed to where you stopped with PoE?

• Like 2

I like Obsidian, so I'll most likely give this game a whirl, but I have my doubts about it:

-First, "the world is all evil now, indulge!" has never really been my cup of tea. I'd much rather be the one that kill all the Nazis, like in Wolfenstein. I fear that it won't be any RPGing I'd enjoy.

-Second, Paradox games and me don't rub well. I have tried Universalis and Crusader Kings, and while fun in certain ways, most of it is overly complicated and so smack-full of micro management, tonnes of widgets and gadgets and sprockets that need to be moved, turned or manipulated in a humongous game system... :banghead:  :facepalm:  :x  :shrugz:

-Third, will I even stomach all this evil world lore? I mean, Pillars had interesting, but rather familiar lore. This would be a bit bizarre as my bedside reading, as it were. Think, Torquemada and the Inquisition and ten fun ways to decorate dungeons with torture implements.

-Fourth, if this CRPG ain't turn-based this time, I'm not sure. Turnless ARPGs I love, but isometric CRPGs, I have my doubts sometimes. At least make the pause function and the clarity of combat stellar, please. 

That's my two cents.

Peace! :sorcerer:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I like Obsidian, so I'll most likely give this game a whirl, but I have my doubts about it:

-First, "the world is all evil now, indulge!" has never really been my cup of tea. I'd much rather be the one that kill all the Nazis, like in Wolfenstein. I fear that it won't be any RPGing I'd enjoy.

Well, if we're voicing our doubts, let me join you.

- Moreover, "The world is all evil now" is fundamentally... well... dumb. Doesn't exactly inspire much confidence about nuanced storytelling.

- From the little we've seen so far, the tone feels super weird, torn between "tongue-in-cheek" and "srs grimdark", and, as the steaming pile of turd that is the Fable series has demonstrated, the two absolutely do not mesh well at all. I mean, the trailer gives you the impression that the game will take itself seriously, yet it still has cheesy-ass lines like "I will remember you when the last hero falls", one of the locations in the game will apparently be called the "Bastard Tier", and its nobility the "Bastardborne", which, in a game about being evil is so on-the-nose it borders on intentional parody, and the other location gives us super generic names like "The Society of Ink and Vellum". Coupled with the fact that vanilla NWN2 and DS3 were made by Obsidian as well, I'm somewhat worried about the quality of the writing.

Aaand, well, that's it. I love the game's premise: Dark Heresy is one of my favorite tabletop games, Imperial Agent was the only TOR storyline I genuinely liked, and in general, being a cog - albeit a potentially very important one - in a huge evil empire just appeals to me for some reason. If they manage to pull it off well, I'm pretty sure I'll have tons of fun with the game.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I want to play Willow the CRPG.

I am fine with evil having won, but only if I can get a neat Willow experience.

It is why I bought Sorcerer King and was disappointed. It was just Fallen Enchantress with some added rules. Ultimately not "it" (or that good).

I played XCOM 2 to get the guerrilla feeling of striking from the shadows with a ragtag band. The game was a lot better than the previous one, but the promised resistance feeling? Very much lacking.

So if Tyranny would allow me to organize the uprising while balancing my pretend "loyalty", then I'd be all "Yay!" but I have my doubts.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).