The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

I'm pretty hyped and since the official forums are offsite...

From the screenshots it looks a bit like PoE

Steam page

Pretty much everything so far

you are a fatebinder
You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator. Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

the choice is yours
A Fatebinder’s word is law, and you decide the fate of the Tiers. Even the smallest of choices shape the land and its people. Tasked with making decisions that truly matter to theTiers and to the factions of Kyros’ army, you will develop a reputation based upon your deeds -- and you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny.

the world of the tiers
The armies of Kyros the Overlord subjugated the Tiers. Now, the survivors of the war must adapt to a new rule, and keep the land productive for Kyros’ empire. Freely explore and experience a world where the war between good and evil has forever changed society. How will you shape it further?

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 7

Free games updated 3/4/21

IDK, I was hyped for PoE when I heard that you get your own castle and that you would manage it but the game failed entirely to deliver on that end. DA:O Awakening and NW2 did better on that aspect. I mean, if they're going to make a game about "Tyranny" it has to have a management aspect to it. I don't want roleplay Saddam hiding on a hole in the ground after all. 

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If hope were not the first step on the road to disappointment I would say that this may be the nearest game we'll ever get to roleplaying a W40k Inquisitor, however I wonder whether the devs or publishers will be able to push the boat out as far as i'd like it pushed? They have good form in this respect, playing a "practical" Michael Thornton was very satisfying, especially in the denouement with Leland, and their games have pulled no punches in other respects.

It is a fact however that certain issues are not dealt with anymore such as were dealt with in Fallout for instance. What I found about those issues of extreme psycopathy and ruthlessness were the consequences, one is affixed with a label and hunted by a certain Mr Avellone, it allows such actions but makes no bones about what wasteland society thought of the participant. Another masterful use of choice and consequence in a game replete with it, and a brave design choice in and of itself.

For instance could I roleplay as a Vlad the Impaler type of character, ruling with the necessary ruthlessness to hold his land together, while facing the backstabbing powermongers who would do anything to secure ones position. Can I impale twenty thousand and what would be the affects of this?

Edit: Is anyone else reminded of the old Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings films introdcutory sequence at the beginning of the Tyranny trailer? Quite striking in my opinion.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

our dyslexia is making the title an issue as we tend to drop letters, but we will get over that.

the core concept is probable the least significant aspect for Gromnir.  starting point is that the bad guys won?  from our pov, that is star wars, willow and almost every western ever made.  meh.

is an isometric, party-based crpg being developed by obsidian as a new ip.  good.  sold... for now. am gonna be enthusiastic until something drastic occurs.  is this the crpg that re-introduces packs w/i packs bag exploits and time to bake bread? is this the crpg that resurrects armour class and irrational "saving throw" progressions?  get 20 hours into the game only to discover that we didn't have enough skill points in X or a high enough Y attribute to progress? as long as obsidian avoids such anachronisms, am expecting that we will give it a shot. 

HA! Good Fun! 

ps am also relieved that this ain't a vampire game.  am knowing that shady and others like vampires, but we got a reflexive dislike for vampires. 'tween anne rice, blade and twilight, we could go 20 years w/o missing vampires in any sorta media.  we even hated only lovers left alive and that were barely a vampire film.  

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps am also relieved that this ain't a vampire game.  am knowing that shady and others like vampires, but we got a reflexive dislike for vampires. 'tween anne rice, blade and twilight, we could go 20 years w/o missing vampires in any sorta media.  we even hated only lovers left alive and that were barely a vampire film.  

But what about Lost Boys?  I mean, I get disliking the other stuff, but there are exceptions!

• Like 1

If hope were not the first step on the road to disappointment I would say that this may be the nearest game we'll ever get to roleplaying a W40k Inquisitor

My secret hope is that Obsidian will get the Dark Heresy license if it does well.

One can dream...

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm imagining sort of a travelling Judge Judy, roaming the lands and dismissing people's complaints.

Is the party-based thing confirmed from some other source? Don't see anything in the text there that would suggest it.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think my one question is:  Is this another RTwP game or is it TB?  I think most would assumed RTwP since it obviously is using PoE tech.  However, I know Obsidian has expressed interest in TB, and there is a fairly large group of Obsidian's forum members that like TB.  I like both, but I would like a few more details on the gameplay.  Admittedly, I could have missed this tidbit.  I have watched the stream, read the website, etc and I am still unsure.  

Hopefully neither. :p I'm hopeful since that short official blurb doesn't even mention fighting, that combat will be heavily de-emphasised.

Maybe it'll be something like this:

[1. Declare him guilty and summarily execute him]

[2. Declare him guilty and leave the punishment up to the people]

[3. Set him free]

Choose (1)

Sir, the people are rioting! What do we do?

[1. Slaughter them all]

:ninja:

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not saying I don't want combat, indeed I think you should be able to freely initiate it anytime you like. But there should be very few scenarios where people would be willing to instigate fights against you, therefore making fighting a choice instead of a chore.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not saying I don't want combat, indeed I think you should be able to freely initiate it anytime you like. But there should be very few scenarios where people would be willing to instigate fights against you, therefore making fighting a choice instead of a chore.

I definitely agree.  I hope this game has conversations that are the deciding factor on how combat heavy it is.  However, on the world map section of the game's webpage it is showing a "Monster" population.  That could mean combat, but it could mean your character can influence the area to create a militia to combat the monster population.  This decision may have negative effects such as the cities life expectancy being much lower, literacy decreases because of focusing on the militia, increased chances of the city population starting uprising, etc.  There is definitely some different things that could happen that could be very interesting.  

But what about Lost Boys?  I mean, I get disliking the other stuff, but there are exceptions!

in all seriousness, the only vampire story we has genuine enjoyed in the last 30 years is i am legend.  am speaking o' the novel, 'cause the movie kinda broke our heart.

oh, and lifeforce were funny... though it weren't s'posed to be a comedy.  am betting that whenever patrick stewart gets a bit full o' himself, his friends break out a lifeforce vhs tape. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efd9zcjn5JM

honorable mentions: 

jessica biel, blade trinity

salma hayek, dusk til dawn

anne parillaud, innocent blood

all terrible movies, but jessica and salma were hot, and anne were inexplicable adorable.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

our dyslexia is making the title an issue as we tend to drop letters, but we will get over that.

Same

I kept dropping the Y in tyrannygame.com

Let's just say that's not what I wanted to see and I'm glad I'm not on a work computer

• Like 8

Free games updated 3/4/21

Same

I kept dropping the Y in tyrannygame.com

Let's just say that's not what I wanted to see and I'm glad I'm not on a work computer

we take some solace in knowing we ain't alone in our... difficulty.

HA! Good Fun!

I wouldn't jump the gun on how much management aspects it has. Screenshots seem to show a classic 'isometric' exploration RPG gameplay where a band of fellows journey town to canyon to ruin. Seems to be using POE tech base.

It could be more of an RPG set in a world where evil won, and given the character description, you're a middle-man of the new evil world order, maybe hunting down some goodie-good insurgents and so on. 

I"m excited, it's the first genuinely exciting game pitch from Obsidian, POE aside, since the last decade. We'll see how it pans out and whether it'll be any good, but it's lovely that we finally get an evil overlord RPG from them.

• Like 5

It's Obsidian, it's a RPG, so I'm obviously going to buy it.  How much I might actually enjoy it remains to be seen as more details are released.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Finally and if the release date is actually 2016, not much of a wait :p

The camera angle reminds me more about Fallout and Torment than PoE&BG. The setting seems interesting and hopefully there are multiple ways to finish the game as the theme of the game definately creates a great way to play it in multiple ways. Overthrowing the bad guy and becoming the emperor yourself, just doing his bidding, playing the game as someone good etc.

Graphics are on the same level with other Unity games and I'm not worried about that. The game will be "judged" by it's gameplay and story. I Imagine the team about the same size as PoE team was. Now all we need is for funcroc no appear and tell us which devs are working on this game.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.