Post 3.0: Paladins.....

Do Paladins really worth it? I tried to start a new campaign with a Paladin and this was to be my first time as a Paladin protagonist......

But I was really disappointed to find out that anything that a Paladin can do, there is always another class that can do it better.....they can't compete with damage dealers in damage output like rogues, rangers, ciphers...., they can't compete in support role with priests, they can't compete in mob control with wizards or druids and they can't compete in tanking with fighters or monks etc..........

People tell me that Paladins are melee support class and kind of jack of all trades and master of none, but I beg to differ...... Priests are the ones who are kind of jack of all trades and they are master of few as well, they can support, they can crowd control, they can also deal decent damage and can have high accuracy with deities boons (higher than Paladins), Priests can pretty much do almost anything that you build them for.........they can even serve as a frontliner as well if built for the purpose, may not be as resilient as a fighter but still can contribute very well at the front lines, if built with proper talents and use appropriate spells.....

Anything a Paladin can do a Priest can do better, so I really want to know, what a Paladin is good for? Does it really worth to play Paladin as a protagonist or is he just a side-liner who is outshined in pretty much all meaniful aspects of the game by other classes? 

You play a paladin because it fulfills the desire to role play as a much loved fantasy trope, cleverly adapted to a new campaign setting? Because you enjoy support roles that help others shine?

Perhaps a great storm struck your village during a lovers tide and through sheer resolve you managed to save a few villagers and get them inland through dangerous land. Left without a home and filled with new found sense of purpose you set fourth as a Kind Wayfarer. There are others who may need help on the long road, and your arm seems strong enough to help.

Moral Posturing?

Edited by boffmoffet
  • Like 1

At most Paladins are maybe slightly weak mid-levels, like 7-12 or so. Early game Flames of Devotion + Arquebus is amazing as is their aura, and level 13+ Sacred Immolation is incredible and lets paladins tank, heal, buff, and kill everything all at once with one click of a button.

• Like 2

You play a paladin because it fulfills the desire to role play as one a much loved fantasy trope, cleverly adapted to a new campaign setting? Because you enjoy support roles that help others shine?

Perhaps a great storm struck your village during a lovers tide and through sheer resolve you managed to save a few villagers and get them inland through dangerous land. Left without a home and filled with new found sense of purpose you set fourth as a Kind Wayfarer. There are others who may need help on the long road, and your arm seems strong enough to help.

Moral Posturing?

I am all for roleplaying but that's not it..........

Also I was not making a statement I was asking a question, because I have not played Paladin as protagonist before, this was my first time as Paladin, so I thought may be I was doing something wrong, because at the moment my Paladin seems to be the weakest character of the party........and the party consists of a Fighter, a Monk, a Cipher, a Priest, a Wizard and the aforementioned Paladin and it seems like that the Paladin is a burden on the party, anything he can do, Priest or Fighter can do better, I feel like I'll be better off by playing another class because Paladin's contribution in everything is far behind other classes..

Edited by Brimsurfer

At most Paladins are maybe slightly weak mid-levels, like 7-12 or so. Early game Flames of Devotion + Arquebus is amazing as is their aura, and level 13+ Sacred Immolation is incredible and lets paladins tank, heal, buff, and kill everything all at once with one click of a button.

Level 13 is kind of end game, that's too far off..... :(

Seriously thinking, about abandoning this campaign, if Sacred Immolation is the only decent thing about Paladins.........

Is that all there is? Because exhortations and stuff, I mean Priest can also dispel the same stuff as exhortations and on top of that he has CCs and some of game's most massive stat buffs also, not to mention he also has higher accuracy than my Pally and is doing better than him on front lines with a Great Sword and Heavy Armor.........

Edited by Brimsurfer

boffmoffet, on 28 Feb 2016 - 8:14 PM, said:

So I had always used a kind wayfarer for my main, but I always kept him tanky because tank stats tend to give the best conversation prompts in events. 

I built one in my current build with Strange Mercy and the Sword and the Shepard, and talk about a walking heal machine! I did not imagine those two talents would be so powerful. Between keeping himself up with lay on hands and every other front liner up with the aforementioned talents, I now know I can plan a merc party without a priest, even in POTD. Maybe still need a druid to regen the back line every now and then, but then again the Shod-In-Faith boots might be all I need for them.

Old post of mine, kinda summarizes my actual defense of the class. Dual wield healing machine is fun. Fire a big gun sometimes. 

HA! Good Fun! - Gromnir

i'm running the exact same party as your, but my MC is the fighter.

I like paladins for accuracy aura, lay on hand, deprive the unworthy (this ability is broken, really broken), sworn enemy + high lore + scrolls, reviving and liberating exhortation. Also they are quite good at tanking and the very first shield you can buy for a pally (outworn bucker) is like the one you get from the adra dragon.

In potd i never leave home without a pally :D

i'm running the exact same party as your, but my MC is the fighter.

I like paladins for accuracy aura, lay on hand, deprive the unworthy (this ability is broken, really broken), sworn enemy + high lore + scrolls, reviving and liberating exhortation. Also they are quite good at tanking and the very first shield you can buy for a pally (outworn bucker) is like the one you get from the adra dragon.

In potd i never leave home without a pally :D

Yea I am playing PotD, seems like I am the most useless member of my party :(

Edited by Brimsurfer

Everyone recommends Kind Wayfarer for the heal mechanics, however the reason I am not playing Kind Wayfarer is that, to be able to efficiently score killing blows one must employ a build with low Resolve, as I have been told that high Might and Perception are pivotal attributes for that build and I think this will allow one to have only mediocre Resolve as some attribute points would need to go towards Intelligence too, I believe.......

However, I want to play a Paladin with high Resolve, so I opted for Shieldbearer of St Elcga but I was disappointed to find out that his Shielding Flames don't affect him at all and he is barely able to hit anything and when he does, he barely scratches the opponent with it........he is not even able to engage enemies effectively, even though he is meant to be a 'shieldbearer' (whose job is to protect and get in between his side and the enemies, with his shield). I can't tank crap with him because nobody  attacks him they just run past him even though he doesn't have particularly high Deflection like my fighter or high DR like my monk...., and he doesn't even have any disengage counter like Fighter's knockdown and he also doesn't have any offence, so he basically doesn't do anything on the battlefield except casting his zealous aura and running after enemies who pretends he doesn't exist........and this is honestly nothing in comparison to all the damage or mob control I would have had if I was playing another class like a Ranger or a Druid.....

IMO Shieldbearer of St Elcga sucks at least this is what I have experience so far......... not sure about the other Paladin Orders though, are Bleak Warriors or Dracozzi Paladini or even Goldpact any good? Or is Kind Wayfarer the only viable Paladin choice for PotD?

Thanks

Edited by Brimsurfer

I just beat the game on hard with a Shieldbearer paladin. Focused on two handed swords, didn't take any shieldbearer talents, and I had the highest single target, and total damage the entire game with a full party.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I just beat the game on hard with a Shieldbearer paladin. Focused on two handed swords, didn't take any shieldbearer talents, and I had the highest single target, and total damage the entire game with a full party.

I am talking about PotD, but no matter the difficulty, still even on Hard how the hell a shieldbearer had the highest single target and total damage against classes like Rogue, Ranger, Cipher, Druid, Wizard etc? Don't think you used the other classes right because its against the current game mechanics I believe....

Edited by Brimsurfer

You can do fine on PotD with a Kind Wayfarer two handed sword with 18 Might, 15 Per, 15 Res and everything else a 10. A 10 intellect is enough for the entire front line. He led the team in damage output.

I always bring one Paladin, for my playstyle I like them much more than a priest.

I'd say all Orders can be viable, you just need to identify what your role is and then build for that purpose. I'd drop a Fighter long before I'd ever even think about dropping a Paladin. Fighters do nothing for the team and are outshone by both Monks and Rogues for damage with Paladins giving them a run for their money with Alpha FoD and surpass them once you get Sacred Immolation. Best of all just about everything is per encounter, no need to rest or save your powers.

Brim, I think that you're falling prey to overly high expectations.  You seem to be expecting that Paladins must be great/the best at something offensive, when their best feature is to support the party while providing a completely capable and durable front line tank.  And yes, they do their support differently from priests.  However, IIRC, the various things lay on hands and exhortations that pallies have, they're able to cast faster than anything similar by a priest. Also, it can be very convenient to have both a paladin and a priest because you never know when one or the other might get knocked out and it's nice to have some backup.

One ability that I found invaluable in my most recent party was Aegis of Loyalty.  It's outstanding for those times when you run into fampyrs or others who cast charm spells.  All the pally has to do is land a "love tap" of an attack on the charmed one, and presto! he's back on the home team!

As for orders and their abilities, honestly, none of the orders playable by a PC impresses me much with their order's abilities.  Arguably the best order's abilities are those belonging to Pallegina's order, particularly the new Wrath of the Five Suns ability.

Honestly, I think that you're expecting too much out of paladins in terms of them being offensive beasts.  That's not the role that they were designed to fill by the devs.  And while I may not agree with that role and wish that they more capable offensively, they're far from useless or weak, or a burden to the team.  Don't discount the value of the +5 accuracy bonus from Zealous Focus.  Nor overlook the value of using the Outworn Buckler with its aura of +5 to all defenses of nearby team mates.

Just remember that the job of the paladin is to "lead" the party, to inspire and support them, not necessarily be the highest damage output character on the team.

• Like 1

You can do fine on PotD with a Kind Wayfarer two handed sword with 18 Might, 15 Per, 15 Res and everything else a 10. A 10 intellect is enough for the entire front line. He led the team in damage output.

I always bring one Paladin, for my playstyle I like them much more than a priest.

I'd say all Orders can be viable, you just need to identify what your role is and then build for that purpose. I'd drop a Fighter long before I'd ever even think about dropping a Paladin. Fighters do nothing for the team and are outshone by both Monks and Rogues for damage with Paladins giving them a run for their money with Alpha FoD and surpass them once you get Sacred Immolation. Best of all just about everything is per encounter, no need to rest or save your powers.

Kdub, I think that you're being a little over the top when saying that Fighters do nothing for the team.  Sure, they may not be the highest DPS characters.  OTOH, my experience is that their durability and strong if not spectacular damage output makes a fighter a rock in a party's front line.  Also, if you want to try to find ways to minimize or at least reduce your micromanagement of the team, fighters tend to be fairly hands off compared to other front liners, like monks.

Mind you, I'm not dissing Paladins when I say this.  I like having a paladin around as well, even if I don't expect him or her to be a spectacular damage producer. 

• Like 1

Kdub, I think that you're being a little over the top when saying that Fighters do nothing for the team.  Sure, they may not be the highest DPS characters.  OTOH, my experience is that their durability and strong if not spectacular damage output makes a fighter a rock in a party's front line.  Also, if you want to try to find ways to minimize or at least reduce your micromanagement of the team, fighters tend to be fairly hands off compared to other front liners, like monks.

Mind you, I'm not dissing Paladins when I say this.  I like having a paladin around as well, even if I don't expect him or her to be a spectacular damage producer. 

I'm probably still disappointed with Fighters from the 2.0 Defender nerf. I started with Fighters in 1.0 and thought they were great iron golems of death. 2.0 made me see the real cracks in their structure and that is when I discovered Monks and the Juggernaut. After that I feel that Fighters just don't "bring it"

They are pretty lite on micro and I do like Charge, but they fall in with the Monk, Barbarian and Rogue as 'buffies" while Chanters and Paladins are "buffers" The "buffers" get the 1+1=4 effect going for the team. Out of the "buffies" the Fighter brings better defense but the game is easier with more offense and just enough defense. Your defense only needs to be "good enough for long enough".

I'm probably still disappointed with Fighters from the 2.0 Defender nerf. I started with Fighters in 1.0 and thought they were great iron golems of death. 2.0 made me see the real cracks in their structure and that is when I discovered Monks and the Juggernaut. After that I feel that Fighters just don't "bring it"

They are pretty lite on micro and I do like Charge, but they fall in with the Monk, Barbarian and Rogue as 'buffies" while Chanters and Paladins are "buffers" The "buffers" get the 1+1=4 effect going for the team. Out of the "buffies" the Fighter brings better defense but the game is easier with more offense and just enough defense. Your defense only needs to be "good enough for long enough".

I still prefer having a real fighter around, because over a long battle, their durability will usually keep them on their feet when other less durable class characters have checked out (unless revived).  At least that's been my experience.  In long battles where I've started losing party members, I've always been able to count on Eder being one of those who will still be on his feet and fighting the good fight.

The problem with "your defense only needs to be good enough for long enough" is that there are times when it's just not good enough, and you won't achieve eventual victory due to the durability and endurance of toughest, hardest to kill dudes.  You'll achieve it with another familiar strategy ... the reload strategy.  Personally, while I don't play Iron Man mode, I also don't want to build parties around a foreknowledge that if my party can't hack a long battle, there's always Plan B (i.e. reload).

Put another way, maybe this is an example of the old "tortoise and the hare" fable, where the more offensively minded classes like monks are the hares, while the fighters are the more slow and steady tortoises.  The hares may be good for those 100 meter dashes, but give me a good durable fighter for those marathon battles.

the paladin is designed as a support class.   given obsidian espoused goals for the class, paladins is 'posed to be a resilient support class that requires relative less micromanagement to be effective.  while offering less flexibility than a priest, the paladin buffs is situationally powerful, and the paladin can be made durable enough to be a party's primary tank w/o resorting to min-maxing. we got no difficulty in proclaiming that paladins successful fulfill the stated goals o' the developers for the class. 

that being said, folks has come up with some highly effective strikerish builds for the poe paladin.

am less o' a fan o' paladins than priests if one or the other is the only dedicated support class in a party, but paladins and priests make an extreme effective combo.  heck, our most recent paladin potd run (currently on hold due to continuing faith and convictions bugs) is highly efficacious as we typical utilize both pallegina and our main with pallegina utilizing a bow and exploiting the effect-on-kill abilities while our main paladin tanks.  

given the goals o' obsidian for the paladin, we find little room for complaint.

HA! Good Fun!

ps shortly after release there were considerable criticism o' the paladin... which we didn't get.  claims that fighters were better tanks than paladins seemed wholly misguided. after all, the paladin were a support class.  the observation that the paladin, while effective enough in the tank role, 'could support far better than any fighter build, were seeming ignored.  another frequent complaint o' the paladin were that it were not as effective in support as a priest.  'course such folks ignored the fact that paladins were far more resilient than priests and that they typically required less micromanagement than a priest.  claim that priests were better than paladins in support mighta' even have been true, but such claims ignored that priests and paladins played very different and that both were effective at supporting a party.   not as good as a fighter at tanking and not as good at support than a priest were s'posed a meaningful critique.  misguided. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My last two PCs, which includes my current one, have been paladins and I've had a blast with them. I RP my parties rather than game them, and don't min/max so I can't really comment on if they are the most efficient/effective at what they do. I really like the faith & conviction mechanic, especially with the speech hints turned off.  

Your fun is wrong.

Brim, I think that you're falling prey to overly high expectations.  You seem to be expecting that Paladins must be great/the best at something offensive, when their best feature is to support the party while providing a completely capable and durable front line tank.  And yes, they do their support differently from priests.  However, IIRC, the various things lay on hands and exhortations that pallies have, they're able to cast faster than anything similar by a priest. Also, it can be very convenient to have both a paladin and a priest because you never know when one or the other might get knocked out and it's nice to have some backup.

One ability that I found invaluable in my most recent party was Aegis of Loyalty.  It's outstanding for those times when you run into fampyrs or others who cast charm spells.  All the pally has to do is land a "love tap" of an attack on the charmed one, and presto! he's back on the home team!

As for orders and their abilities, honestly, none of the orders playable by a PC impresses me much with their order's abilities.  Arguably the best order's abilities are those belonging to Pallegina's order, particularly the new Wrath of the Five Suns ability.

Honestly, I think that you're expecting too much out of paladins in terms of them being offensive beasts.  That's not the role that they were designed to fill by the devs.  And while I may not agree with that role and wish that they more capable offensively, they're far from useless or weak, or a burden to the team.  Don't discount the value of the +5 accuracy bonus from Zealous Focus.  Nor overlook the value of using the Outworn Buckler with its aura of +5 to all defenses of nearby team mates.

Just remember that the job of the paladin is to "lead" the party, to inspire and support them, not necessarily be the highest damage output character on the team.

I never expected to be an offensive beast as a Paladin........he is just simply passingly mediocre at everything......and the things that you mentioned about Paladins, honestly they are not so grand or useful as you are saying........I mean from what I am seeing right now in my playthrough, I can honestly do without it...

Edited by Brimsurfer

the paladin is designed as a support class.   given obsidian espoused goals for the class, paladins is 'posed to be a resilient support class that requires relative less micromanagement to be effective.  while offering less flexibility than a priest, the paladin buffs is situationally powerful, and the paladin can be made durable enough to be a party's primary tank w/o resorting to min-maxing. we got no difficulty in proclaiming that paladins successful fulfill the stated goals o' the developers for the class. 

that being said, folks has come up with some highly effective strikerish builds for the poe paladin.

am less o' a fan o' paladins than priests if one or the other is the only dedicated support class in a party, but paladins and priests make an extreme effective combo.  heck, our most recent paladin potd run (currently on hold due to continuing faith and convictions bugs) is highly efficacious as we typical utilize both pallegina and our main with pallegina utilizing a bow and exploiting the effect-on-kill abilities while our main paladin tanks.  

given the goals o' obsidian for the paladin, we find little room for complaint.

HA! Good Fun!

ps shortly after release there were considerable criticism o' the paladin... which we didn't get.  claims that fighters were better tanks than paladins seemed wholly misguided. after all, the paladin were a support class.  the observation that the paladin, while effective enough in the tank role, 'could support far better than any fighter build, were seeming ignored.  another frequent complaint o' the paladin were that it were not as effective in support as a priest.  'course such folks ignored the fact that paladins were far more resilient than priests and that they typically required less micromanagement than a priest.  claim that priests were better than paladins in support mighta' even have been true, but such claims ignored that priests and paladins played very different and that both were effective at supporting a party.   not as good as a fighter at tanking and not as good at support than a priest were s'posed a meaningful critique.  misguided. 

Yea I know all of this, I read it all before, but now that I am playing a Paladin myself, I am quickly finding out that these are just words and nothing more.........and my experience is entirely different from these words.........also the priest is doing way better than him at everything......pretty much every class is contributing way more than he is to the party.... he just stands there and looks pretty, the only thing he is doing right now is to provide zealous aura which is not much considering I could have a druid or a ranger in his place with all their skills and abilities at my disposal .....

Edited by Brimsurfer

You can do fine on PotD with a Kind Wayfarer ...................... He led the team in damage output.

How come he lead the team in damage output?

Also I find my fighter almost indispensable, he is fulfilling the role of a proper tank and neither monk nor rogue can outshine him at that...... 

Edited by Brimsurfer

nobody said that you had to like the poe paladin.  many folks in this thread is pointing out that they find the paladin to be efficacious.  you disagree.  fine.  

example--

Gromnir doesn't get much use from the chanter.  the chanter can be made into a worthy tank and its invocations can be brutally powerful, but it just don't work for us.  if we want multiple chants from our chanter to be active, we actual need two or more chanters in our party.  we don't even want one chanter, so why would we take two? also, while the chanter invocations is useful, we do not like being a hostage to the chant count.  for the majority o' poe battles, we want powers we can use at will... or at least at  the start of a battle. we don't much like chanters, but would be ridiculous for us to claim that they is poorly designed or ineffective.  particular for longer boss fights, a chanter can be a powerful addition... to somebody else's party.

dunno what to tell you.  is not as if the folks who see use from the poe paladin is all deluded and you is the sole voice o' reason.  has been more than a couple o' paladin solo potd videos and builds shared on these boards.  even so, nobody is forcing you to play the paladin.  don't play it if you do not wish to.  'course given the vastly different experience o' many other potd players, you is gonna need accept that your experience is hardly a dispositive or conclusive judgement o' the poe paladin for any save yourself. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

nobody said that you had to like the poe paladin.  many folks in this thread is pointing out that they find the paladin to be efficacious.  you disagree.  fine.  

example--

Gromnir doesn't get much use from the chanter.  the chanter can be made into a worthy tank and its invocations can be brutally powerful, but it just don't work for us.  if we want multiple chants from our chanter to be active, we actual need two or more chanters in our party.  we don't even want one chanter, so why would we take two? also, while the chanter invocations is useful, we do not like being a hostage to the chant count.  for the majority o' poe battles, we want powers we can use at will... or at least at  the start of a battle. we don't much like chanters, but would be ridiculous for us to claim that they is poorly designed or ineffective.  particular for longer boss fights, a chanter can be a powerful addition... to somebody else's party.

dunno what to tell you.  is not as if the folks who see use from the poe paladin is all deluded and you is the sole voice o' reason.  has been more than a couple o' paladin solo potd videos and builds shared on these boards.  even so, nobody is forcing you to play the paladin.  don't play it if you do not wish to.  'course given the vastly different experience o' many other potd players, you is gonna need accept that your experience is hardly a dispositive or conclusive judgement o' the poe paladin for any save yourself. 

HA! Good Fun!

Hmm....I just wish I could figure out how to make this class effective in comparison to others, I really wanted to play a Paladin, but anyway.... I know what you are saying and I don't disagree with you either.....

am not sure what advice we can give.  is our opinion that some folks min-max a paladin into early uselessness.  for us, the paladin is a very capable buffer and as such we want high intellect.  play as a shieldbearer or darcozzi palladini tank and we is gonna make intellect our prime attribute.  unfortunately, as a tank we also want high resolve for the deflection bonus.  drop perception and our average accuracy becomes awful... which is bad for a tank.  you need to be able to hit stuff for enemy ai to take you serious.  you also gotta do at least some damage or, as already noted, enemies will ignore you. so, is it genuine smarty to reduce might and/or dexterity?  constitution isn't a priority for us, but am not gonna reduce it below 9 on our main tank neither.  is too many min-max builds we see that hurt a paladin tank.  sure, at level 13-16, with optimal gear, handicaps from basement-level attributes can be mitigated, but most o' the game is played at levels 1-12.

in any event, poe is a flexible game.  we don't need any particular class to succeed.  we don't like chanters.  we pass on chanters.  no great loss.  folks who love chanters will marvel at our stoopidity and our inability to proper utilize a poe chanter.  *shrug* for some inexplicable reason, we never found much love for the ranger in spite o' obsidian having improved them significant from earlier builds. our parties is almost always missing chanters and rangers. oh well.  on the other hand, we like priests and paladins and monks, so our party typical has those.  

kinda funny, but during the beta we saw any number o' Best Class polls.  am not kidding that Gromnir were the only guy that chose priests as the MVP class... evar.  great.  am thinking it is a good thing that  folks can have widely different perspectives regarding the efficacy o' the poe classes.  most crpgs that have classes also have obvious and clear winner and loser classes.  am personal not a fan o' classes in crpgs, but we concede that obsidian did an admirable job o' making many classes that actual play different and are all useful... though we do continue to have rather serious complaints 'bout the mechanics and balancing o' a few poe classes.  poe did a good job on the classes... they did a good job on paladins... with room for improvement.  

HA! Good Fun!

example--

HA! Good Fun!

Hmm....I just wish I could figure out how to make this class effective in comparison to others, I really wanted to play a Paladin, but anyway.... I know what you are saying and I don't disagree with you either.....

Maybe you need to start by telling us what you think "effective" means for a paladin.  Different people can have different definitions and that creates different expectations.