Ondrite Tidalfists are the bane of my existence

These guys require disproportionate amounts of caution and resources out of me, or rather often reloads. Plain and simple, they decide to teleport to my backline and I have a few seconds to disable them before they knock 1-2 characters out (with Rooting Pain or something). I've never been fond of playing monks so if this method has some innate weakness, I don't know of it.

My party is: Paladin (watcher), warrior (both tanks), druid, priest, cipher, wizard. While Crushing Doom works wonders, the monks aren't exactly rare and I can't respond with that every time I see one. Please advise.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

What level are you? What spells does your Wizard have? Do your Fighters have Charge? Is anyone wielding Steadfast?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Pretty much all I guess, save some of the new midlevel ones

No (but he does have Into The Fray)

Yeah, but I'd have to bend over backwards to level it up (paladin has it)

My Deadfire mods

Charge would come in a lot more handy than Into the Fray for these Monks. Same with Steadfast as it grants Dimensional Shift 1/rest (not sure it's the accurate name but it lets you shift position with another party member.)

There are stronghold boots too that are very good for saving squishy characters but I can't recall their name; I'll post when I'm home from work.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Fireballs, I'm assuming that you're in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon, given how many of these monks it sounds like you're facing.  And yes, they're very tough.  I went in there with a max level party on Normal difficulty, and they were still far from easy.  And the final "boss" battle was very difficult. 

I found the monks so difficult for a while that I actually had to fallback and return to Caed Nua and switch up my party roster.  I replaced the merc wizard I had in the party with GM because I felt that her mental powers would be of more use than a wizard's nukes, not to mention that she'd be generally a bit tougher and more durable if forced into melee.  the party mix that got me through the Abbey was: Eder (fighter), Pallegina (pally), Kana (chanter), Durance (priest), Alastyr (PC rogue), and GM (cipher).

Any items that you have the increase your defense from being stunned or even your defenses WHILE stunned would be helpful, since you will have characters who get stunned.  Also knocked down as well.  Having your priest casting spells that help in this regard would be a big help as well.

Tactically speaking, in combat, try to focus your fire on wounded enemies and finish them off ASAP.  Of course, this is a fairly normal thing all the time in this game.  But it becomes critical in these monk battles because they do have healers who will cast healing spells.  Get the "Badly Wounded" and particularly "Near Death" enemies dead before their priests can heal them up!!!  It also doesn't hurt to try to kill their priests to prevent them from having this support, though in some battles it may be difficult to engage a priest who is well behind the lines when you're being swarmed with monks and fighters and such.

Another thing, be prepared to use your priest to cast Withdraw spells on badly wounded party members.  It can be a real life saver.

Dimensional shift is on Unlaboured Blade.

Indeed. Got confused because I had Edér dual-wield those two and I somehow automatically associated DimensionalShift with Steadfast.

There are stronghold boots too that are very good for saving squishy characters but I can't recall their name; I'll post when I'm home from work.

0UDWDVw.jpg

These are the boots I was referring to.

You can use them to push enemies away from a squishy they're targeting.

Other methods include:

• Use your Fighter to Charge the enemy who's targeting your back line, then knock them prone.
  • Use Dimentional Shift (from The Unlabored Blade) to swap position between your Fighter and your squishy.
  • Have your Wizard cast Llengrath's Warding Staff (the level-7 spell.)

Open the battle with protective spells from your Priest and Ninagauth's Shadowflame from your Wizard (or a Scroll of Paralysis, if you don't have Shadowflame.)

As irony would have it, the adventure for those boots opened up when I completed The Rising Tide. Nevertheless, there's been useful input here. I'd all but forgotten about Withdraw during my absence from this game. Cheers!

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods