Why is wand "two-handed"

I am just curious...

The wand itself is held by characters in one hand and since it shoots just one kind of "projectiles"  and is not needed for performing magic?

[Edited: -pistols; I woke up with a thought that pistols are two handed later in the day proved right]

Edited by adikKt

I am just curious...

The wand itself is held by characters in one hand and since it shoots just one kind of "projectiles"  and is not needed for performing magic, why it cant be among one-handed weapons such as pistol?

Wizards compensating for something.

I am just curious...

The wand itself is held by characters in one hand and since it shoots just one kind of "projectiles"  and is not needed for performing magic, why it cant be among one-handed weapons such as pistol?

So that you don't dis-balance Eora with dual wands......

Edited by Brimsurfer

Well, what do YOU do with your offhand when you're "using your wand"? ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though, dual implements would be a great idea for PoE2.

• Like 1

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Balance reasons.

I think that a better question is ... why aren't wands, rods, and scepters all in the same weapons groups?  I mean, come on, they're just a little stick that shoots a burst of magical energy.  The idea that they're in 2 different weapons groups is silly.  But, of course, the entire weapons group concept is silly, IMO, so why should I expect anything to be any different where magical implements are concerned?

Because what if you equip a wand in one hand and a dagger in the offhand? They'd have to code a whole new behavior system for mixing melee and ranged weapons.

I don't think that'd be bad for the sequel.  People have already commented about wanting a pirate style, pistol in one hand sabre in the other.

People have already commented about wanting a pirate style, pistol in one hand sabre in the other.

That is bulls... How would you reload?

See, the reason behind it was just making the pistol shoot only once at the beginning of a battle. Like a pirate. Arr?

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Because what if you equip a wand in one hand and a dagger in the offhand? They'd have to code a whole new behavior system for mixing melee and ranged weapons.

I don't think that'd be bad for the sequel. People have already commented about wanting a pirate style, pistol in one hand sabre in the other.

U mean half of poe builds including guns ? 3 guns + Melee Set , also no pirate ever fought with sabre while holding pistol in his other hand , if anything he shot with it once and threw it on ground , thats why they carried more than one pistol all the time too .

Quickswitch enables all these "Pirate" builds to the maximum .

Edited by Blunderboss

People have already commented about wanting a pirate style, pistol in one hand sabre in the other.

This would require:

v1. Sheathing the sabre. Reload.

v2. Puting pistol_1 in it's holster. And taking pistol_2

v3. Using revolvers :)

Why is wand "two-handed"

Most likely for balance purpose. Or lack of time.

But yeah, I agree, it should be one-handed.

And either:

- make it possible to wield only one wand at a time.

- or allow them to be dual-wielded, but when two of them are equipped, reduce their base damage by 30-50%. (they are supposed to channel your magical energy, aren't they? And if you use two at a time, the flow going to each hand could be halved)

P.S. Also wand projectiles could be like 1s beam...

P.P.S. If wand would be 1-handed, there would arise another question: should it be allowed to wield wand+shield?

Edited by MaxQuest

Not entirely true. You shot once with the pistol, and then you used it as an off-hand, wielding it like a small but heavy reinforced club.

Reloading a blackpowder anything isn't really feasible in chaotic skirmish combat.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

All ranged weapons are two-handed, and I think the primary reason for that is technical rather than balance-related. If the designers decide it's worth making the effort of enabling one-handed ranged weapons, they can find a way to balance them too.

See, the reason behind it was just making the pistol shoot only once at the beginning of a battle. Like a pirate. Arr?

Since we're in the "and a pony" mood... Bandoliers. You wear one that holds six pistols. You shoot them in rapid succession, boom boom boom boom boom boom, but can't reload and will have to switch to a melee weapon after you're done.

A single one-handed pistol couldn't be reloaded; instead, once you've let off the shot, you use it off-hand as a club. Perhaps not very effective, but badass. Definitely badass.

Edit:

General_History_of_the_Pyrates_-_Blackbe

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You just reminded me...when equipping a wizard with a wand on the character screen, his avatar shows the grimoire in one hand, wand in the other.  What probably happened, they introduced staves and realized it would look stupid to wield something so large one handed, but also wanted the character to be able to cast spells while wielding one.

Yes, that is exactly how PoE works now. Shoot the pistol than switch weapon set.

I like the club thing. You can shoot it once, then use the sabre without loosing time to switch weapons, BUT you only have a weak "club" for your offhand.

---

We're all doomed