Problems with pricing of individual items

Alklein35

Question

First off, let me say I'm loving this so far. It really does the physical game justice.

I was looking at the store, and most of these prices seem pretty high. The characters in particular.

I get that the intent is to allow either the immediate purchase through cash, or gradual unlock using gameplay. Unfortunately, these prices just don't match up.

For the same price of one adventure of 5 scenarios, you can get -- a whopping one character, or two for the cheaper ones. That seems crazy. Especially when you take into account how much gold you actually get. Playing one scenario on all three difficulties wasn't even 700 gold. Completing an entire 5-scenario adventure on all 3 difficulties, meaning using the same character for the same 5 scenarios 3 times, doesn't even get you your choice of character to try and spice things up a little. That's past encouraging to spend money, that's simply too high to pretend that gameplay is a viable option for unlocks. Not to mention that the cost of 4,000 gold for one character means $5. For a character. There's 4 at that cost, and 5 at half that cost. $30 just to unlock the characters. When you can get the season pass for $25, it almost seems like we're being explicitly told "You can get bored of the game to unlock stuff or give us money".

I hope gold prices are still under consideration for change, because I recommend the following

Characters:

1500 a piece, maybe 2000. All the same cost, no reason to charge more for the last 4

Adventures:

3000 a piece, keep the 750 for the first adventure.

These prices still required a good amount of gameplay to unlock without paying cash, but not so much gameplay that you feel forced to pay real cash to get any variety from a game that should be benefitting from high replay value. Especially when you can't go beyond 2 players without paying for more characters.

• Like 2

4 answers to this question

Hmmm... Is it not the Purpose of this game to make Profit?

The 25$ season pass seams to me very reasonable.

If someone does not want to pay anything, They can grind if They want to.

There may be some tinkering to the relative Prises, but would it be ok if the new adventure Path would much more expensive to compensate cheaper characters... I am not so sure of that.

There may be some tinkering to the relative Prises, but would it be ok if the new adventure Path would much more expensive to compensate cheaper characters... I am not so sure of that.

I get that, and I agree that $25 is good price. That's not in dispute. The gold prices are beyond the point of just wanting to make a profit though. At the rate I'm seeing gold come in, it isn't even a viable option. That's a problem.

In case you did not know, the last four characters were not included in the base game of RotR. They were part of a Character Add-On Deck sold separately. That is probably why they cost twice as much as the rest of the party.

Yes I did notice that when I first booted the game. Unfortunately that only explains why it was those characters that were chosen to be more expensive, not why any are more expensive in the first place.

I get that, and I agree that $25 is good price. That's not in dispute. The gold prices are beyond the point of just wanting to make a profit though. At the rate I'm seeing gold come in, it isn't even a viable option. That's a problem.

In case you did not know, the last four characters were not included in the base game of RotR. They were part of a Character Add-On Deck sold separately. That is probably why they cost twice as much as the rest of the party.

Yes I did notice that when I first booted the game. Unfortunately that only explains why it was those characters that were chosen to be more expensive, not why any are more expensive in the first place.

The problem right now with economy is players are not seeing the full picture yet. Still all feedback is very valuable right now which is why we have you guys playing it. :)

You get more gold from playing Heroic difficulty and even more from Legendary. Legendary you can also repeat to keep getting 300 gold. Not to mention each time you grind a scenario you also encounter boons you might want and so your decks are slowly improving as well.

There is also the under construction quest mode which is there to help ease the grind from players who are very familiar with RotR and provide new and random experiences. :)

Still in any case please keep the feedback coming. It is being read and it is appreciated!

• Like 1