Looking for a new monitor

Lexx

P.S. When choosing between VA or IPS, you will generally find that IPS has better colours but VA has deeper blacks. This is why VA is generally preferred in TVs.

Disclaimer: have yet to buy a new fancy OLED TV or anything like that, but from what I've seen in the stores it's still, in my eyeballs anyway, an issue. Maybe not as bad, but still there.

OLED is an emissive technology, which is to say, each pixel produces its own light. When the pixel is black - i.e. off - it produces no light whatsoever, hence true black. If you have an OLED TV turned on but showing nothing, in a completely dark room, you won't see a thing.

LCDs, no matter if they're TN, VA or IPS and whether they're marketed with fancy terms like LED or QLED, operate using a backlight, and while on expensive models the backlight can be turned down, it's never truly off and therefore you will always see a grey rectangle in the dark room test. QLED probably exists mostly because Samsung has too much pride to licence OLED technology from local rivals LG, whereas the Japanese companies in Sony and Panasonic have relented and now purchase their panels from LG.

All that said, a side effect of OLED not having a backlight is that its peak brightness is somewhat lower than older technologies, but this shouldn't be an issue unless you're regularly watching TV in a room constantly flooded with huge amounts of bright natural light.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G