Looking for a new monitor

Lexx

Not convinced that TN vs IPS panels makes any difference. I have a cheap 1080p TN panel and an expensive 4k IPS panel hooked up at home. One isn't harder to read text on than the other.  The expensive one just looks nicer and doesn't have the narrow viewing angle. The text itself is perfectly crisp. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The primary differences are supposed to be viewing angles and colors.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My distance-view hadn't changed in 2 decades until very recently, so I got a new pair of glasses. Doesn't decrease the eyestrain concept at all (and yeah, they've been asking whether I do computer work, for years). TV vs. IPS monitor doesn't change it either. I also have brightness type settings way down most of the time and tried blue-light blocking lenses as well.

It's not just about whether text/anything is actually blurry, don't misunderstand. It's just ... more eyestrain. Like, hold a can of soup arms length. Can you read the ingredients list on the back? If you have to, pull it in until you can only just read it. The thing to note is that the text isn't blurry, right? Just small so it makes your eyes feel more strain to read it. It's like that, but all the time. I can't explain it.

Also, my vision at night has worsened and I don't like to drive at night all that much anymore. Again, it's not that it's blurry. It's ... more sensitive to glare? Even more reduced depth perception in the dark than normal? I have no idea. It's just more nerve wracking. And I used to be a night-driving mo' fo'.

Everyone's eyes are going to be different and age differently.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, anyone want to talk me out of buying some ridiculous oversized curved screen monstrosity?

Meh, I'll probably talk myself out of it anyway. Mainly tempted because it's $1100 (670USD, GST off) and for some reason that's way cheaper than it should be when compared to US and UK prices. Still 400 bucks more than I wanted to spend though, and my 580 would struggle with it in games at high settings.

So, anyone want to talk me out of buying some ridiculous oversized curved screen monstrosity?

Meh, I'll probably talk myself out of it anyway. Mainly tempted because it's $1100 (670USD, GST off) and for some reason that's way cheaper than it should be when compared to US and UK prices. Still 400 bucks more than I wanted to spend though, and my 580 would struggle with it in games at high settings.

I don't like the curved variants of the ultrawides, seems like a gimmick to me.

I'm eyeing this one but will probably waiting for the 2k high refresh ones provided they do a flat version.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I have the LG 36" version of this and I think it's amazing. So no talking out of anything from me. :)

• Like 1

I tend to agree that curved monitors are a fad, but at least they're a fad that makes some logical sense.

Meh, I'll probably talk myself out of it anyway.

Shows how well you know me, internet guy.

(Yeah, bought. Even got an extra $10 off. I think it's my most expensive single purchase in nearly 20 years which didn't involve a house or a car- I'm not exactly YOLO when it comes to the financials. Might be cheating a bit, as I've built 2 computers over that time that cost more in total though the most expensive single component was ~500$)

Edited by Zoraptor

Availability and cost. The direct equivalent LG (34UC99W) is ~$400NZ more in cost- well outside budget- and is also only 75Hz. There's a lower resolution 34" option from LG that is cheaper, but I don't like low vertical resolutions much and would stick to my old 1200p monitor despite its problems in preference. Main competition was from an LG though, but a standard 4k one (27UD69W) for about $750, and a somewhat more expensive Asus 4k.

I do currently have a Samsung which I'm not that happy with (not due to unreliability or similar though, it's just an 'office monitor' sort that cannot cope with natural instead of fluorescent lighting), so don't have any brand loyalty. The one I bought was the only Samsung I even looked at seriously.

Availability and cost. The direct equivalent LG (34UC99W) is ~$400NZ more in cost- well outside budget- and is also only 75Hz. There's a lower resolution 34" option from LG that is cheaper, but I don't like low vertical resolutions much and would stick to my old 1200p monitor despite its problems in preference. Main competition was from an LG though, but a standard 4k one (27UD69W) for about $750, and a somewhat more expensive Asus 4k.

I do currently have a Samsung which I'm not that happy with (not due to unreliability or similar though, it's just an 'office monitor' sort that cannot cope with natural instead of fluorescent lighting), so don't have any brand loyalty. The one I bought was the only Samsung I even looked at seriously.

If you remember my past posts, the LG panel (at least the flat variant) had issues. So I think that currently Samsung is a better bet. I'm still waiting for the new panels that should be coming early 2018 and I'll probably get an ultrawide again.

• 1 year later...

3 years later, here we are again. My monitor just busted. You fellas won't believe how pissed I am right now. My old monitor survived almost... I don't know, but it was many years longer.

Need a new monitor. Specs didn't really changed since last time. 24", 144hz, needs good colors.

I had this one before: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B19T7QC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And yeah... it's not very good. The colors are mostly garbage and never "right" ... gave me lots of pain, as I am usually working a lot in the graphic area... where I need the colors to be right.

I'm grateful for any suggestion... but not Asus, that thing is over.

Thanks.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't have specific model suggestion but the past several years I've liked LG and Dell as far as color and brightness goes, both IPS and LED. Can't really speak to longevity yet since the oldest I have is maybe 3-4 years.  At 24" /1080 most LG aren't going to be more than 75hz tho, at least from what I've seen. I have the opposite issue where I want to remain 27" 60hz but most are 144 now with gsync (and/or 4k...), stuff I don't want/need etc. >.>

Some seem to like the BenQ 144 like this model but I have no experience with the brand.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Response-Equalizer-Vibrance-Adjustable/dp/B01H5KKQTM

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This one looks good, but the top comment already worries me.

If your other monitor isn't using displayport then this monitor will not work out of the box without installing drivers. The easy way around this is to make sure that all your monitors that you are using are on displayport (e.g. do not use dvi on another monitor and use displayport on this monitor, both must be displayport or you'll have to do extra configurations).

I am using 3 monitors. 2 via HDMI and 1 via DVI. It's already troublesome to keep this setup running, now I'm not sure how that monitor would work with this.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Is displayport becoming the new norm? I've been out of the market a long time, so last I knew everything was VGA + DVI + HDMI in some combination. At least VGA is finally dying, but I don't remember displayport being remotely common on anything.

Then all of a sudden this year I started seeing it a bunch, but it seems older than HDMI? I don't understand.

Is displayport becoming the new norm? I've been out of the market a long time, so last I knew everything was VGA + DVI + HDMI in some combination. At least VGA is finally dying, but I don't remember displayport being remotely common on anything.

Then all of a sudden this year I started seeing it a bunch, but it seems older than HDMI? I don't understand.

It has a much larger throughput than HDMI.

• Like 1

It's not quite the "norm" yet, but it does seem to be transitioning there. Which is always a PITA when your monitors and TV's and GPU's aren't the same number. Adapters often required unless you buy all new stuff. My 2080ti has only one HDMI and no DVI port at all - that's replaced by a USB-C instead.

Edited by LadyCrimson

It has a much larger throughput than HDMI.

IIRC HDMI currently has the higher throughput with v2.1 which was released last year, but needs new cables etc for the increased bandwidth.

HDMI requires licensing fees, Displayport does not is most likely why manufacturers seem to be pushing it.

I own this monitor, it's really good value for money if you play fast paced games at 144fps/1080p, response times are great. Considering it's a TN Panel the colours are better than to be expected.

3 years later, here we are again. My monitor just busted. You fellas won't believe how pissed I am right now. My old monitor survived almost... I don't know, but it was many years longer.

Need a new monitor. Specs didn't really changed since last time. 24", 144hz, needs good colors.

I had this one before: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B19T7QC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And yeah... it's not very good. The colors are mostly garbage and never "right" ... gave me lots of pain, as I am usually working a lot in the graphic area... where I need the colors to be right.

I'm grateful for any suggestion... but not Asus, that thing is over.

Thanks.

ASUS has nothing to do with the color quality of that monitor. Color accuracy depends mostly on the type of panel the monitor uses. Your old monitor had a TN panel and color work will always be problematic on such panels.

You have to pick something with a VA or IPS panel if you are doing color sensitive work. Also, depending on what you do exactly, you may want to calibrate the monitor. You are in Germany so you might as well use Geizhals.de to do your hardware searches.

Here's a search that should give you what you want:

https://geizhals.de/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11939_23~11955_IPS~11955_VA~14702_144Hz&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&plz=&dist=&mail=&fcols=11955&sort=p&bl1_id=30

Personally, I'd pick something at 27" and 2560x1440, but still a24" screen from the list above should work for you.

Also use this site to learn about monitors if you want:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, going from a TN panel to another TN panel isn't going to yield meaningful improvements in colour accuracy. That's not to say that the panels will perform identically, but you're still going to be limited by the inherent weaknesses of the technology. It's also possible that the AOC comes with better out-of-the-box settings than your old Asus, but I wouldn't bet on it at this price range.

I'd also consider investing in a colorimeter, something like this Colormunki or SpyderX Pro would be decent mid-range options. That said, the value of one goes up the more monitors you have, as colour matching is rather more important if you're using more than one display at the same time since it's nearly impossible to get them to match up just by eyeballing the settings.

P.S. When choosing between VA or IPS, you will generally find that IPS has better colours but VA has deeper blacks. This is why VA is generally preferred in TVs.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 3 weeks later...

P.S. When choosing between VA or IPS, you will generally find that IPS has better colours but VA has deeper blacks. This is why VA is generally preferred in TVs.

My view on IPS vs. VA/TV's:

IPS - where you can get blacks to feel fairly black but still have good shadow detail, but you have to turn brightness down, down, down, and some may think overall everything else is "too dark" (like exploring a cave in a game for example)

VA/TV's - where you can get blacks to be SUPER black but as a result often lose shadow/room/clothing detail, where you may start tuning brightness/contrast or tweaking other settings/profiles and switching back and forth show to show to compensate but then now the overall is too grey/washed out.

eg, neither is perfect and you can't win. :p

Disclaimer: have yet to buy a new fancy OLED TV or anything like that, but from what I've seen in the stores it's still, in my eyeballs anyway, an issue. Maybe not as bad, but still there.