Suggestion: 500 Gold Cost for Burnt Offerings

Jeftidastl

Question

It felt strange to complete Perils of the Lost Coast and not be able to jump right into Burnt Offerings, especially since both adventures are included in the base game of RotR. Lost Coast is quite basic and limitied with only three scenarios. Forcing you to immediately go back into them to grind for gold to buy the first adventure deck seems really repetitive early on, even with more advanced difficulties offered. That is why I would suggest making Burnt Offerings cheaper so that it can be bought right after Lost Coast. That will demonstrate to new consumers the importance of purchasing adventure decks and add some additional variety into the early game. Make Skinsaw Murders the point where players have to decide between replaying old scenarios or paying for new content.

Edited by Jeftidastl

12 answers to this question

It felt strange to complete Perils of the Lost Coast and not be able to jump right into Burnt Offerings, especially since both adventures are included in the base game of RotR. Lost Coast is quite basic and limitied with only three scenarios. Forcing you to immediately go back into them to grind for gold to buy the first adventure deck seems really repetitive early on, even with more advanced difficulties offered. That is why I would suggest making Burnt Offerings cheaper so that it can be bought right after Lost Coast. That will demonstrate to new consumers the importance of purchasing adventure decks and add some additional variety into the early game. Make Skinsaw Murders the point where players have to decide between replaying old scenarios or paying for new content.

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly why we wanted a Beta. :)

I don't know that I completely agree with that, of course, who doesn't like things to be cheaper, but I found that I almost had enough gold to buy it shortly after completing the The Lost Coast. I don't know if I was just lucky with the gold obtaining. Not only that, but I wanted to run The Lost coast a couple times to get familiar with the digital version of the game anyway. I do own the game, but sometimes digital versions are just a little bit different.

Let me throw in another vote for lowering the Burnt Offerings cost to 500. After 1 lost game and 3 successful games, I have a hair over 500 gold. I'm quite familiar with PACG and have no particular desire to replay the basic quests, as I'm sure I'm going to burn out perfectly fine grinding gold in the long term.

I would throw my hat in with reducing it down to 500 gold. I've played the physical version of Perils no fewer than 10 times, and have just started skipping it there, so I would definitely prefer to not have to grind to get past it (even though I'm definitely liable to just buy the season pass).

I honestly think the price is fine. Having to grind to get something for free so that you don't have to pay actual cash is more than fair. It allows people to earn and play the game without having to spend a dime. There should be SOME extra effort there. It's also not really all that bad (from my own perspective). Only a couple hours a day and I've been able to earn quite a bit for free. I was against the microtransactions from the start, but in reality, it feels pretty dialed in.

I have played RotR a lot, and seeing that I had to grind through the same three scenarios just to unlock AD1 was really disheartening and did not make me want to keep playing. Seeing gated content so early was a big turn off for me. Furthermore, Perils of the Lost Coast can be extremely unforgiving and difficult without better loot and skills. Going through AD1 before heading back to grind PotLC solved both of those problems - it broke up the monotony and allowed me to power up my characters.

• Like 1

I'm going to vote for keeping the price at 500gp. Yes you need to repeat one or two scenarios to get there, but this is not too much bother and you can always pay to avoid grinding.  I balance needs to be struck between being excessively annoying and the game being profitable.  Plus I don't buy the repetitive argument. Yes  the locations and villain/henchmen stay the same , but all other cards and card order changes every game. 

What are the current prices of the scenarios and characters, and how much do you get for beating a scenario on normal / heroic / legendary? Does the reward change depending on the scenario, how many times you've beaten it, or how many characters are in the conquering party?

Just so it's as clear as it can be...

If you don't pay for the game, you can unlock Burnt Offerings by playing Perils of the Lost Coast plus the heroic version of one of those scenarios. That's natural progression through the game plus one scenario at a higher difficulty. 

That's natural progression through the game plus one scenario at a higher difficulty.

Which makes it an unnatural progression of the game, thus my suggestion. Give us veterans a bit of a break, show the newbies how to buy adventure decks, and rope people in with 8 scenarios before you make them commit to grinding and/or money so they are more invested in the game. Win/win/win.

Just so it's as clear as it can be...

If you don't pay for the game, you can unlock Burnt Offerings by playing Perils of the Lost Coast plus the heroic version of one of those scenarios. That's natural progression through the game plus one scenario at a higher difficulty. 

Okay, at the risk of sounding like an Obsidian shill here, that honestly seems very generous to me! I figured if playing through an entire adventure on all three difficulty modes would generate enough gold to unlock the next one, that'd be fair. The f2p players of the world should count their blessings that Obsidian has a way more charitable sense of "fair" than I do. :)

If the pattern of progression from Perils --> AD1 holds for AD1 --> AD2 and all future adventures, then any player who does beat each adventure on all three difficulties will not only have enough gold to buy the next adventure, but will also bank some gold for buying new characters, all for free. I'll be buying the season pass because I desperately want Obsidian to have all my money, but if I were trying to go about this f2p style, I think I'd be pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

A special offer for two or so characters at a lower price would do wonders. I don't feel like I'm actually playing pathfinder with just a 2 player party.

Merisiel + Kyra is also not my favorite pairing, but if I could get something like Valeros + Lem as well for 2000 gold (50%) off, it would make it a lot better.

• Like 1