Pricing

stormblind

Question

Just curious, I was poking around in the store, and being from Canada, was a little shocked at the price of 35$ for the season pass. For myself and my social group, we're sort of scattered across Canada (Majority) and the US (Minority). At $35 for the pass, I could see some significant issues getting people into the game; often the sweet spot for online board games we end up buying is in the $20-25 range (CAD, and largely our upper budget). There are some costs people will take for the sake of automation and ease, but with most of the group having Pathfinder on Tabletop Simulator, those who are less invested in the game in my group would have significantly less interest in dumping 35$ on it just for the sake of ease of use. 

And although I'm aware that the majority of the playerbase would likely be US players, the mental adjustment from 20$ (A night at the movies) to 35$ (half of one of your monthly bills) is huge. So I don't really know a fair solution to this. 

Dunno if I'm alone on this, but figure this would be the best time to bring this up since hopefully it's not set yet. 

25 answers to this question

While I plan on buying the full pass as soon as the game goes live, having a pack of all the characters and a pack of all the adventures would be good. Based on the pass cost, $10 for the characters and $20 for the adventures.

• Like 1

No we are not forgetting that  :no:

But we have to compare what pad-games cost, and they are normally something like 4.99$. But most of those games have micro cost for this and that, but not all.

But this is more like a game that has a lot of expansions. For example one table to Pinball FX cost 2.99$ or similar, so in long run it will be much more expensive than this game with season pass. 

So the balance is a delicate matter!

Pricing is a delicate balance indeed. We want to get paid but we also want people to think the price is worth the content.

This game is bit more different than how other games are handled on the mobile market. So it is harder to compare it to current pricing models.

StormbringerGT is correct (and I like eating, food is good) the pricing system has been something we spent a lot of time on. Nearly everything in the store can be bought with Gold which can be earned through game play or through real money transactions. This also allows for players to use one or a combination of both if they choose to!

We are keeping a close eye on the metrics during this closed beta and will be adjusting things as the numbers show problems.  There's a lot of number crunching going on behind the scenes...a lot of number crunching, I think I dream in numbers now...

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

"Do game developers dream of electric paydays" by Philip K ****.

;-)

Or something like that.

I think that you Are doing good work. I really hope that this will fly!

I dream of bacon and more star wars toys

• Like 2

$25 for all content and never having to shuffle or setup again? Shut up and take my money!

I have a feeling if your buddies come over, the physical thing is still going to hit the table and it's back to shuffling for you. But that is part of the charm and magic of physical tabletop games. :)

• Like 1

$25 for all content and never having to shuffle or setup again? Shut up and take my money!

I have a feeling if your buddies come over, the physical thing is still going to hit the table and it's back to shuffling for you. But that is part of the charm and magic of physical tabletop games. :)

Unless you have Nathan shuffling, then you defiantly want digital

• Like 1

Unless you have Nathan shuffling, then you defiantly want digital

Unless someone left on Nathan's special debug mode...

• Like 2

StormbringerGT is correct (and I like eating, food is good) the pricing system has been something we spent a lot of time on. Nearly everything in the store can be bought with Gold which can be earned through game play or through real money transactions. This also allows for players to use one or a combination of both if they choose to!

We are keeping a close eye on the metrics during this closed beta and will be adjusting things as the numbers show problems.  There's a lot of number crunching going on behind the scenes...a lot of number crunching, I think I dream in numbers now...

If we go ahead and buy the season pass with real money, is there anything left to spend the gold we earn in game on?

Unfortunately in the case of my buddies, one is in Afghanistan and the other is moving out of state shortly. Plus I have young children that I can't seem to get into card games... They are too interested in digital. I own the base set plus I think up to ap 4 but rarely get to play it except for solo. This will be a great way for me to be able to play and leave it "set up" without worrying that my 5 yo will wreck it or cats will gnaw on it. I'm psyched!

• Like 2

If we go ahead and buy the season pass with real money, is there anything left to spend the gold we earn in game on?

Chests!

Unfortunately in the case of my buddies, one is in Afghanistan and the other is moving out of state shortly. Plus I have young children that I can't seem to get into card games... They are too interested in digital. I own the base set plus I think up to ap 4 but rarely get to play it except for solo. This will be a great way for me to be able to play and leave it "set up" without worrying that my 5 yo will wreck it or cats will gnaw on it. I'm psyched!

When I moved from Chicago IL to beautiful Irvine CA I left all my board game buddies behind, some good people and an entire hobby store where I used to play PACG (and a ton of other games) a couple times a week there.

So I am looking forward to being able to play with my long distance friends! :D

Absolutely! Treasure Chests were designed with this exact issue in mind, and they are pretty spiffy if I do say so myself!

So I feel like getting in on this discussion. With the Physical card game, only one person needs to foot the bill to provide an experience for up to 6 people. This price point sounds fine if it allowed you to link your purchases with a friend's account, at the very least just for online multiplayer. Just my two cents.

So I feel like getting in on this discussion. With the Physical card game, only one person needs to foot the bill to provide an experience for up to 6 people. This price point sounds fine if it allowed you to link your purchases with a friend's account, at the very least just for online multiplayer. Just my two cents.

And just like the physical card game if you and your friends are at the same physical location you can all play on one account and device. Pass & Play technology activate.

• Like 1

And just like the physical card game if you and your friends are at the same physical location you can all play on one account and device. Pass & Play technology activate.

Yeah, but passing a device isn't quite the same. Well that is assuming the multiplayer is a good experience.

People obviously want to play cross-device, why hinder that? You just create a fragmented experience for everyone with your logic.