Blood Legacy quest - can't side with Lord Harond? (spoilers)

So, this is a super minor thing but since some of the other minor quests have been discussed in depth on this forum... heck, why not?
My question: Why isn't it possible to side with Lord Harond in the Blood Legacy quest? 

You can save the girl.

You can side with the Skaen Priests (apparently, I haven't actually tried this)

But you can't save the girl and return her to Lord Harond.

In other words, there's absolutely no way that poor Harond gets a happy ending:(

For argument's sake, if you were playing an evil aristocrat, wouldn't you want to help him? 

So... Is this just something the developers forgot? Or does the crime of incest fall into the "So evil we're not allowed to touch it" category? ;) Or... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenEvilHasStandards

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 2

Seconded! I was looking for a way to side with Lord Harond too. I don't even consider it to be an evil choice.

The girl wants to get away from the lord because he forces himself upon her. How can returning her to him be the right moral choice?

Zered, is he continually forcing himself upon her or was it only until she became pregnant? This is unclear to me, but important.

Anyway, the way I think about this is the following:

CRUEL: "You have no choice in this, girl, I am taking you back  to your uncle."

RATIONAL: "Do what you want. But I think that it is to your family's best interests that you return to your uncle and give him an heir."

STOIC: "Hey, what can you do. Maybe he is a monster, but he is still your family."

Zered, is he continually forcing himself upon her or was it only until she became pregnant? This is unclear to me, but important.

Anyway, the way I think about this is the following:

CRUEL: "You have no choice in this, girl, I am taking you back  to your uncle."

RATIONAL: "Do what you want. But I think that it is to your family's best interests that you return to your uncle and give him an heir."

STOIC: "Hey, what can you do. Maybe he is a monster, but he is still your family."

Hmmmm... that's only rational if you consider family honour to be your number 1 priority in life. But most people think about what is best for themselves, so the rational choice would be to run away very fast. 

I'm quite sure you can return her and (spoilers) she ends up murdering him or something later.

But only if she's brainwashed. You can't cure her and then take her back.

Heijoushin, if we were talking about robots and not people, then the rational choice (both for her and her child) would have been to continue being part of a powerful family line. If we take her feelings into account, then it can be argued that it is not really a "rational" choice any more.

Anyway, note that in the rational choice I am not forcing her to do anything. I am mentioning what her family's interests are and let her make her own mind up.

Developers always overlook something. In this case, they overlooked the "maximum evil" route.

Probably no one's asked for it before now because not many people on these forums play truly evil characters.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Heijoushin, if we were talking about robots and not people, then the rational choice (both for her and her child) would have been to continue being part of a powerful family line. If we take her feelings into account, then it can be argued that it is not really a "rational" choice any more.

Anyway, note that in the rational choice I am not forcing her to do anything. I am mentioning what her family's interests are and let her make her own mind up.

Certainly, if you could lay out all the options for her and let her decide, that would be rational (and the appropriate action in real life). But in this case, since she's confused after being brainwashed (and because this is an RPG) we basically decide for her. 

Developers always overlook something. In this case, they overlooked the "maximum evil" route.

Probably no one's asked for it before now because not many people on these forums play truly evil characters.

Agreed about developers overlooking something. 

But is this really the "maximum evil" route? Surely siding with a bunch of brainwashing, revenge-obsessed cultists is more evil? Yet you can do that;)

Edited by Heijoushin