So I was browsing the forums and came across a similar thread to this one except its for a "FF4" party, the author of the thread had a cool idea to grant each character an RP friendly "Racial ability" instead of the default human one...which is frankly boring since most of my party and all of his party is human. This adds a little more variety and flavour to his characters so I figured I would se how it looks with mine.

Anyways here's what I figured off the top of my head, feel free to make suggestions, if i feel it makes me too strong ill turn up the difficulty,  maybe try out POTD.

Ayla: Since imo Ayla is a Monk/Barb (DM allowed alignment restrictions to be waived :p) and she's already a monk so i looked into the barb abilities for some ideas

- Blooded (bonus damage when below 50% hp)

- Brute Force (attacks target fort or deflect whichever is lower)

- Threatening Presence ( small aoe around self thats causes sickened effect)

Frog: Since frog is a paladin the only other class that is likely to have stuf to help him is fightr so i picked up a few candidates from there

- Armored Grace (reduced armor speed penalty) despite his heavy armor Frog is able to move around quite well to do things like leap slash and x-strike

- Into the fray or charge: feels very "x-strike" like, give to crono as well for further effect

- Take the hit or Guardian stance: Reflects frogs drive to protect others

Crono: Sadly due to the lack of class specific abilities for spellcasters (aside from the spells) there's nothing to focus on that as a racial ability so for crono we should focus on the swordsman side. TYis a shame that monks swift strikes is unarmed only it would be perfect

- Into the fray or charge: feels very "x-strike" like, give to crono as well for further effect

- Riposte (enemy miss = free attack): seems very duelisty

Lucca: Sadly due to the lack of class specific abilities for spellcasters (aside from the spells) there's nothing to focus on that as a racial ability so for Lucca we should focus on the gunner side.

- Powder Burn (creates a shotgun like effect): this sits lucca perfectly imo assuming we flavour it as lucca modifying her gun.

- Swift Aim (faster reload/attack rate, less accuracy) lucca shows great profiecinecy with her gun and frankly id ee this as yet another mod to her guns.

Marle: Sadly due to the lack of class specific abilities for spellcasters (aside from the spells) there's nothing to focus on that as a racial ability so for Marle we should focus on the x-bow side

- Driving flight (arrows bounce once)

- Swift Aim (faster reload/attack rate, less accuracy) I think it suits lucca better but if i dont choose it for lucca it might work for marle if i cant find anything more apt

- Minor Threat (hits -> crits): frankly marle is the least threatening member of CTs crew

Magus: I honestly know very little about him being my least favorite chracter, still considering cramming in robo somehow (orange aumanu?) but yeah mianly looked it "villainy" stuff so primarily pulled stuff from rogue.

- Dirty Fighter ( hits -> Crits)

- Deep wounds (melee attack DoT): seems scythe appropriate

- Reckless assault( bonus accuracy/damage, lowered deflection) : seems to fit magus

This is an even better idea than what I had in mind for the FFIV party. I was planning on using only standard racial abilities, I like the idea of using any ability as a racial. I'm at work now, but I'll give some feed back on what you have here later :)

Trying to "build" a robo using armor and stuff but unfortunately the amount of gold armor & full faced helms is limited so it might be a no go, too bad because spawning the "long pain" fists was perfect for Robos "Rocket fist", any ideas?

So I've Decided on their "racial" abilities, I mainly stuck to passive or modal abilities

Ayla - Brute Force: Attacks target deflection OR fort whichever is lower, this just feel so perfect for ayla and between this and Baby rage I feel that she feels enough like a Monk/Barb multi-class to feel like Ayla

Frog - Armored Grace: Reduces armors penalty on attack speed, Despite wearing the heaviest armor of the playable characters (sans robo) in Chrono Trigger he's extremely agile (leap slash, x-strike etc.) so I felt this reflected that quite well (even if its somewaht useless mechanically since his might/dex & Per are so low)

Lucca - Swift Aim: Fast attack/reload, reduced accuracy, This is a bit of fudging i've somehow got stuck on the idea that lucca arrived in the world of Pillars long before the rest of the team and thats how alot of the technology has been advancing ie. Guns so I think it would be cool if Lucca had an "experimental" gun I was originally thinking powder burn but since she's a fire mage it felt redundant with cone of flames.

Marle - Still no idea TBH I've taken driving flight for now cause it seems cool, suggestions? minor threat is my only thought since she's the least threatening member

Crono - He was quite difficult Lightning Strikes would have been perfect but it requires swift strikes which requires wounds so doesn't function, ive decided to just always enchant his weapons with shock lash, as for the ability i went with i decided on Dragon Leap since Crono does kill several bosses that way (ie. Dragon tank) so I figured WTH.

Magus - Another character I have no idea what to do with, chose deep wounds since i have a feeling that a scythe would cause some serious bleeding.

*Bonus* Robo - Long Pain fist weapons x 2 = rocket fists + using devil of caroc (changing her portrait with eternity keeper) not sure what class...I might just make him completely custom just for fun (talent/feats wise, same amount as everyone else but not worry about class requirement)...if not thinking fighter or rogue. Not sure if long pain counts as a ranged weapon, melee weapon or both but i CAN confirm that marksman adds its accuracy bonus when at the proper distance. Will likely replace Magus when i find DoC unless I really like his build (than I may keep him or rebuild crono as a battle mage with a lightning focus)

Here's the updated build plans (a few minor edits + new racials)

Name: Frog (MC)

Species: Orlan (Green)

Class: Royal Bodyguard (Paladin)

Stats: Mgt 10 Con 16 Dex 10 Per 6 Int 18 Res 18

Weapons: Sword & Shield

Skills: Athletics, Survival

Order: Shieldbearers

1R Armored Grace (replaced minor threat)

1P Lay on Hands

2T Weapon & Shield Style

3P Zealous Focus or Endurance

4T Hold the Line

5P Liberating Exhortation

6T Cautious Attack

7P Reviving Exhortation

8T Greater Lay on Hands

9P Reinforcing Exhortation

10T Shielding Touch

11P Healing Chain

12T Deep Faith

13P Righteous Soul

14T Superior Deflection

15P Behold the Martyr

16T Veteran's Recovery?

Name: Ayla

Race: Human

Class: Prehistoric Chieftain (Monk w/Rage)

Stats: Mgt 18 Con 18 Dex 18 Per 8 Int 8 Res 8

Weapons: Unarmed

Skills: Survival, Athletics

1R Brute Strength (replaced Fighting Spirit)

1M Torment's Reach

2T Outlander's Frenzy

3M Turning Wheel

4T Two Weapon Style

5M Soul Mirror

6T Veteran's Recovery

7M Duality of Mortal Presence

8T Apprentice's Sneak Attack

9M Rooting Pain or Enervating Blows

10T Scion of Flame

11M Iron Wheel

12T Superior Deflection

13M Skyward Kick

14T Savage Attack

15M Resonant Touch or Dichotomous Soul

16T Bloody Slaughter

Name: Crono

Species: Human

Class: Lightning Swordsman (Druid)

Stats: Mgt 14 Con 10 Dex 16 Per 16 Int 10 Res 12

Weapons: Estoc

Voice: None (cause you know "silent" protagonist)

1R Dragon Leap (replaced Fighting Spirit)

2T WF: Adventurer

4T 2-Handed Style

6T Interrupting Blows

8T Apprentice's Sneak Attack

9D Spell Mastery: Nature's Vigor

10T Savage Attack

11D Spell Mastery: Taste of the Hunt

12T Blood Slaughter

13D Spell Mastery: Returning Storm

14T Heart of the Storm

15D Spell Mastery: Form of Delemgan

16T Superior Deflection? Veteran's Recovery?

Name: Magus

Species: Pale Elf

Class: Battle Mage (Self-Buffing Wizard w/ Reach weapon)

Stats: Mgt 14 Con 8 Dex 14 Per 14 Int 14 Res 14 (This feels wrong...?)

Weapons: Pike

1R Deep Wounds (Replaced Elemental Endurance)

2T Arcane Veil

4T Hardened Veil

6T Superior Deflection

8T WF: Soldier

9W SF: Eldritch Aim

10T Snake's Reflexes

11W Spell Mastery: Elemental Bulwark

12T Bull's Will

13W Spell Mastery: Alacrity

14T Bear's Fortitude

15W Spell Mastery: Flame Shield

16T Veteran's Recovery?

Name: Marle

Species: Human

Class: Princess (Priest)

Stats: Mgt 18 Con 6 Dex 18 Per 14 Int 18 Res 4

Weapons: X-Bow

Skills: Lore

Deity: Eothas

1R Driving Flight (Replaced Fighting Spirit)

2T Interdiction

4T Painful Interdiction

6T Empowered Interdiction

8T Gunner

9P Spell Mastery: Halt

10T Brilliant Radiance

11P Spell Mastery: Consecrated Ground

12T Marksman

13P Spell Mastery: Circle of Protection

14T WF: Knight

15P Spell Mastery: Restore Major Endurance

16T Deep Pockets (mainly for scrolls)