Haven't really played the game since the early period after initial release, but I would like to start anew with the new expansions. I would like to try some soloing, but I am unsure what advice can still be used and what is outdated.

How do you feel the classes rank? What classes would be easiest/most straight forward? I don't really enjoy kiting or hit and run tactics that much, so who can fight more toe to toe?

I understand you can respec now so not everything needs to be planned from the start. What stats can be good starting out though? Do you have to max out the defensive stats or is it better with a more balanced approach?

I can confirm the ranger and the paladin can solo every encounter. Probably all classes can solo, but most of them have to skip some content. For the paladin I would wait until next patch because there are some bugs right now. 

• Like 2

Paladin and Ranger are the best "broken" classes, they are way too easy to play for their solo power, while wizard might be a stronger class, but is a lot harder to play.

Both wizard and paladin are played without kiting, while the ranger is awesome at the very thing.

Paladin is probably going to be the easiest especially if you don't want to hit and run. Ranger and wizard are also great solo choices I'd say. Check out the youtube channel for Victor Creed. Some very good info about a solo pally.

Thx.^^

I'm probably one of the biggest paladin enthusiasts out there, seeing the executioners hood in my current pt with 3 chars makes me want to start yet another solo pala, lol.

I have soloed with a few classes. Wizards are good if you don't mind going nova every battle, spamming slicken/fireball, and resting a lot. For less micro management, the easiest, by far, was fighter. Paladin was also pretty good, though he didn't really peak until later after getting that level 13 immolation ability and accumulating crazy high defenses. He took forever to kill things but the stellar saving throws helped a lot with stun lock issues. This was before the paladin nerfs. The fighter was played on patch 3 and WM2 and has been great the entire game and can even handle dragons okay with a little planning, due to abilities like triggered immunity and unbroken (paired with high Intelligence). Most of the time just attacking head on works (along with figurine usage for tougher fights) which seems to be what you are going for.

I used a very aggressive fighter build with max DEX, Might, and INT. The passive endurance regenerative is insane (over 20 per tick, and all key items available early in the game) and that helped a ton. I focused on the items that increase attack speed and healing (particularly healing multipliers and rapid recovery). Only thing to watch out for is stun/paralyze lock. Figurines help a lot for that and there are now some items that grant massive defensive boosts.

Edited by Braven

I can confirm the ranger and the paladin can solo every encounter. Probably all classes can solo, but most of them have to skip some content. For the paladin I would wait until next patch because there are some bugs right now. 

I'd love to see a solo PotD playthrough with a Barbarian. No one seems to try it though.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I'd love to see a solo PotD playthrough with a Barbarian. No one seems to try it though.

With skipping Adra dragon it's been done long ago before the perception change.

Now it should be easier, but no idea whether you have to skip content or not.

Yes, it was one of the first to solo when One Stands Alone was bugged and did huge damage with carnage and retaliation... After the nerf it wasn't viable anymore...

Yes, it was one of the first to solo when One Stands Alone was bugged and did huge damage with carnage and retaliation... After the nerf it wasn't viable anymore...

That too, but there was also people doing it after those nerfs.

I would - since it's one of my favorite classes and everybody says he's no good for a solo game (which is true for a standard barb) - if I only had more time. :(

But I'm not a solo player by heart (at least in PoE) and expect that the learning curve will be very steep. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

After playing solo for I while, I always find it boring. The tactics you can use are pretty limited.

Ofc they are, that's why soloing is harder.^^

As long as there is no SCS like mod for PoE parties are sooo op.

Depends on the party, on where you are in the game with that party, on the encounter, and on everything else. I woulnd't say they are OP, as long as you play on PotD.

Can't really agree.

My personal taste for parties has become as little micro as possible.

Casters are super powerful, but other setups are so good if they have synergy.

Now if you build a party including casters that also has synergy you just wreck the game.

I couldn't even play without PotD, I was halfway through my very first pt of this game on hard, abandoned it and started new only for PotD.

I totally agree on your point as to solos by the way, it probably came across different, sorry about that.

The enemys have one pattern, all game long... thats why i dont use groups, you overpower the enemys because you can adapt, the enemys dont -.-

Please... is it that hard to give enemys more than "run to enemy and attack" (maybe with prio targetting)... better spell usage (enemy) better positioning (or dodging of spells etc) and better pathing (sometimes you can block 10 enemys with 2 enemys despite the fact that they have a clear path to you, they just have to move one step to the left... the ones that cant attack you)

I'd love to play with a party, however i dont enjoy it if the game is so easy i can simply run at the enemy and use one character and let everyone else just attack (no AI active) - and win easily (maybe use withdraw if a squishy is in problems)...

I love the party banter, but i am fighting too much to just enjoy my party... with one character the game is enjoyable (quite hard in fact, if you dont concentrate you can die - just what i want)

• Like 1

The enemys have one pattern, all game long... thats why i dont use groups, you overpower the enemys because you can adapt, the enemys dont -.-

Please... is it that hard to give enemys more than "run to enemy and attack" (maybe with prio targetting)... better spell usage (enemy) better positioning (or dodging of spells etc) and better pathing (sometimes you can block 10 enemys with 2 enemys despite the fact that they have a clear path to you, they just have to move one step to the left... the ones that cant attack you)

I'd love to play with a party, however i dont enjoy it if the game is so easy i can simply run at the enemy and use one character and let everyone else just attack (no AI active) - and win easily (maybe use withdraw if a squishy is in problems)...

I love the party banter, but i am fighting too much to just enjoy my party... with one character the game is enjoyable (quite hard in fact, if you dont concentrate you can die - just what i wT

This, just this.

I did it when One Stands Alone and retaliation worked together.  I have to say, a very, very underappreciated feature of barbs for soloing is wild sprint.  Wild sprint is awesome for disengaging.  If your characters are fast enough, you can pull parts of groups for most fights.  That made bounties a lot easier, because a lot of the bounty mages don't chase like the strikers and fighters.