My God-like mod, if anyones interested in using the other god-like.

Basically a mod to make the other other God-like good in comparison to Moon's.

I was personally disappointed at how cool and powerful and useful moon's godlike racial was and how underwhelming the rest were to quite an extreme tbh.

(as the rest pretty much suck, their racials are worse than even the other races whilst losing headwear)

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/79/?

Edited by alexis13

First of all: thank you for your effort! I often was thinking, that at least Nature Godlikes deserves some buffs.

Second: I hate to be that guy, but... "God-Like Fair and Even Racials" doesn't quite go along with:

Fire: "gain 30 (20 with weaker Fire Godlike file) DR, burn attackers (higher acc on burning); +5 CON"

Death: "Being Nigh Unstoppable, unkillable and EXTREMELY fast and deadly for 15 seconds"

Nature:  "all defenses +10; acc + 10; high-resistances to poison and disease"

Because:

- you know that even 20DR is.. A LOT.

- being unkillable and unstoppable is.. well unfair. The concept is great. But maybe add a variant with something more moderate and per-encounter basis?

- some take wood elves, just because of the conditional +6 acc... You propose unconditional +10, and more, enough to compensate for two pieces of headgear  :)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

40 odd hp at early game, potd  get hit for 65 damage in the first eothas temple.

Die, 30dr does nothing.

You can still get messed up by plenty of stuff, and remember its not 30DR  its 80% less damage to anything less than 30dmg.

You still get hit for 20% of the damage, and any kind of dragons/ogres and tbh a lot of thing on potd will still go right through it.

Lastly there is a 20DR option, but honestly, for someone that can get hit under 25% hp and heal to full 3 times (AOE MOON) I think the 30DR is fine.

But like I said, 20DR option.

Deaths is once per rest and why it is weak is explained on the mod page, as its got a low chance to even work because of the 10% hp level, 10% of 300 hp is 30 hp and you gotta be under that for it to work, the fact is its a very dangerous racial.

Its ment to be thematically correct, being dangerously close to death (your aspect) then fully connects you to it making you like berath himself, like I said its only once per rest its only for 15 secs which isn't as long as you think and about 60-70% of the time you're gonna get hit from 11% to 0% and die.

Natures is fine tbh, see nothing wrong with it at all, almost nothing uses disease and poison and 10+ all defenses and accuracy sounds pretty standard to me.

Lastly, If moon godlike wasn't the way it was atm and say just 3+ dex below 50% hp and I made it the way it is today you'd all be like "THATS OP" but the creators made it that way.

I'm only bringing the other god like up to its level.

Basically they all have their themes, moon's is most safe, least devastating.

Fires is dancing with danger for greater power,

Deaths is dancing with OBLIVION for CRAZY POWER and only once.

Natures is a buff thats better for making max level really strong characters stronger.

So yeah, its too hard to edit this game anyhow, there arn't even any tools for it, I actually wanted to make some more of it more complex or unique/balanced, but its too hard to do.

Edited by alexis13

The whole Godlike not being able to use helmets thing annoys me.  I don't know how other people use their characters' equipment slots, but for me they're a way for me to give each character items to boost their attributes.  And not being able to use the helmet slot means one less equipment slot available for this purpose.

And on a different not, while I understand the whole "helmets won't fit on their head" thing, a couple of points.  One, I think that this argument was contrived as a way to justify not allowing them to use helmets, as a game balance mechanism.  But the "won't fit on their head" argument fails for a number of items that get assigned to the helmet slot.  Like hoods.  Hoods are just bunch of cloth.  It'll fit.  Or that monocle.  No way does that monocle not "fit".

I think that I would have preferred it if GL's in PoE were handled more like this.  You picked your body form of GL, and you got the racial attribute bonuses of that body form (i.e. human, elf, dwarf, etc.).  But instead of that form's racial special ability, you'd get a special ability in keeping with the variety of GL you've chosen.  But unlike how PoE did it, I'd suggest that the GL "racial" benefits be weaker so that they didn't require losing the helmet for balance.

And here's some suggestions for racial specials along this model.  Note that all of them would be either passive or active (triggered at the player's discretion, not by hitting a percentage of your current END).

Fire: the Scion of Fire talent

Moon:  Maybe Lay on Hands, a healing touch.  (If regular Lay on Hands isn't quite good enough, boost it to Greater Lay on Hands.)  Once per engagement, I'd think.

Death: Bloody Slaughter talent

Nature: I think that either the Spirit of Decay talent (corrosion damage) or maybe the Heart of the Storm talent (lightning damage) would be suitable.

Anyways, enough of this tangent for now.  :geek:

Godlike racials look weak because they can't wear helmets and with the new helmets added by WM2 it starts looking like a big drawback. To be fair they should keep their actual abilities and get something comparable with what helmets can add, not more. Death should get maybe some bonuses per kill, fire could get some fire absorption passive like the Rymrgrand Mantle and for nature some kind of aura offering small bonuses to you and your party...

Nature - should get Woodskin spell triggered on them when below 50 %... with limited duration.

Death - agree with Kaylon. Some type of small Bonus per kill would be nice...

Fire - should have small fire based damage bonus per AT...

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Kaylon, Blades, I guess what it comes down to me is that I really dislike the helmet thing.  I'd rather that GL's could wear helmets and if that meant scaling back on their racial abilities, so be it. 

Also, I honestly don't like racial abilities that trigger based on reduced END.  In fact, I hate it with a bloody passion.  I don't like the idea of having to play a GL with the aim to get seriously injured just to take advantage of what is supposedly a great ability.  Only the Moon GL gets a bit of a pass here, since its special ability is healing!  On top of this, there's just about no synergy with these when seriously injured specials with classes whose intention is to AVOID taking damage.  Why would anyone want to play a Fire GL ranged wizard?

This is why I think that GL's should be always on, not triggered by reduced END (this holds true for the human special ability as well).  And they should benefit melee and ranged combatants equally.

Blades, I like the idea of Woodskin for Nature GL's.  It's very nicely thematic.  But IMO it should be a once per encounter spell like ability that only works on themselves, and can be triggered whenever the character chooses, not when seriously injured.  Or even simpler, give them the equivalent of barbarian "tough skin" (+2 DR, IIRC) as an emulation of them simply having, well, tougher skin.

But then again, imagine that godlikes do get racials equal in value to regular_racial + wm2_helmet_bonus. This would mean that they will start with quite a head start ^^

Edited by MaxQuest

I actually kind of like how godlike can't use helmets it adds to the lore and the whole "they can't hide their horrific/scary/wonderous/different face and gives that whole outcast/ostrasized/oppressed feel.

Sadly there isn't that much reactions to you in the main game which I was SUPREMELY disappointed with.

But it seems like that is changing for white march which I'm really happy about.

(Also hood would burn on fire godlikes head, death godlike has horns, moon godlike has head thing making hood not go over, can't put a monocle over death godlikes eyeless face, but besides that yeah I suppose you are half right)

So yeah give my mod a try =)

Edited by alexis13
  • Like 1

I actually kind of like how godlike can't use helmets it adds to the lore and the whole "they can't hide their horrific/scary/wonderous/different face and gives that whole outcast/ostrasized/oppressed feel.

Sadly there isn't that much reactions to you in the main game which I was SUPREMELY disappointed with.

But it seems like that is changing for white march which I'm really happy about.

(Also hood would burn on fire godlikes head, death godlike has horns, moon godlike has head thing making hood not go over, can't put a monocle over death godlikes eyeless face, but besides that yeah I suppose you are half right)

So yeah give my mod a try =)

I guess that the entire loss of an equipment slot for character upgrade potential matters a whole HELL of a lot more to me, because I truly loathe godlikes.  I hate the loss of the helmet slot.  I hate the use of abilities that have to be triggered by low health (hate it on humans too, but at least they don't lose the helmet slot).  I hate how ugly most of them are, some disgustingly so.

All in all, there's next to nothing that I like about godlikes... which is why I never play them, and probably never will, not even as a merc in my parties.

As for Fire GL's burning a hood, what about the rest of their bodies?  Are they supposed to wear metal armor all the time?  Would their regular clothes burn away?  Why only the head?

Oh, and BTW, Alexis, it's nice that you're trying to mod PoE.  Congrats on the effort.  But so long as GL's can't wear helmets and (some) have those ridiculous special abilities that only trigger at low health, I won't be going near any GL characters.

Edited by Crucis

Well Its cause only their hair in on fire, but yeah.

I think the male darth godlikes with two of the heads and the female godlike with the main head look really cool.

Really don't like the moon and the nature is a it meh though.

Low health isn't bad if you make your char tanky, and the fire one modded is designed so you are a lot more durable lower, and the death like ones really powerful to reward the low health, and the nature one is just static =D

Sry lol i actually originally wanted to make the fire just 10-15DR and it just be from 100% but it wouldn't code in properly =D

Anyhow oh well, thats a shame cause I think god-like are really cool, give them a try and see if you like at least death or fire, if not fair enough its your choice =)

I don't think the point is to get injured to use it, thats now how I use mine (I play fire god-like) I try to stay high health all the time, its just an emergeancy back-up incase things DO go bad, like Llengrath's_Safeguard, like 95% of the time I'm not even using it because of my 140 deflection =D

Edited by alexis13

But then again, imagine that godlikes do get racials equal in value to regular_racial + wm2_helmet_bonus. This would mean that they will start with quite a head start ^^

Well I think the main point is just to make their actual racials good, or change them to be something better, to compensate from the loss of head slot, aswell as just make them a bit stronger as you simply get some stronger races in typical D&D games, so why not this?

Maybe If I could figure out how to make them level slower some people would appreciate it more.

Okay, I had written up a critique along the lines of what others have said, but dropped it because I lost interest in the prospect of arguing about this. That said, I do feel compelled to at least correct your statements about Silver Tide.

Silver Tide is, indeed, strong. It is not, however, a full AoE heal. It heals a fixed amount each time it activates (at 75%, 50%, and 25% of max endurance). This fixed amount is 10 at level 1, and 55 at level 16. It is adjusted by Might modifiers. It was unquestionably more powerful than any of the racials in combination with any helmet prior to the release of the White March. Now, that calculation is more difficult because endgame helmets are really damn good.

The other Godlike should have their racial abilities adjusted so that they are equivalent to any other racial ability in combination with a good helmet. I liked someone's suggestion of a scaling ability, as that would remove the problem of Godlike's beginning with an ability equivalent to an endgame helmet. As it stands, your adjustments to the Godlike far surpass any conceivable combination of an endgame helmet plus a racial ability.

30 DR, in addition to a +5 buff to Constitution? And an innate retaliation that can't miss?

Show me that helmet. I want to wear it.

That said, thank you for your hard work!

Edited by lantzk

Well Its cause only their hair in on fire, but yeah.

I think the male darth godlikes with two of the heads and the female godlike with the main head look really cool.

Really don't like the moon and the nature is a it meh though.

Low health isn't bad if you make your char tanky, and the fire one modded is designed so you are a lot more durable lower, and the death like ones really powerful to reward the low health, and the nature one is just static =D

Sry lol i actually originally wanted to make the fire just 10-15DR and it just be from 100% but it wouldn't code in properly =D

Anyhow oh well, thats a shame cause I think god-like are really cool, give them a try and see if you like at least death or fire, if not fair enough its your choice =)

I don't think the point is to get injured to use it, thats now how I use mine (I play fire god-like) I try to stay high health all the time, its just an emergeancy back-up incase things DO go bad, like Llengrath's_Safeguard, like 95% of the time I'm not even using it because of my 140 deflection =D

I don't think you get it.  You say that the low health triggers aren't bad.  I think that they're utterly terrible for exactly the reason you think that they're not bad.  You say that they're not bad if your character is tanky.  THAT IS WHY THEY'RE BAD!  The Fire GL ability is essentially useless unless you're playing a tanky character.  Who in their right mind would play a Fire GL wizard except for RP reasons?

I'm sorry, but these abilities that are triggered by low health drive me up a wall, I hate them so much.  Every effing thing about them is wrong!

And you say that you don't think that the point is to get injured but that it's a back up.  I don't WANT abilities that are plan B!  I want abilities that I can use ALL THE TIME!!!  Furthermore, how can a "plan B" ability even be worth the cost of a lost equipment slot!

The entire concept is a useless crock of you-know-what!

Why modding people just can't avoid throwing the balance out of the window ?

First, fire godlikes are OK as they are. At high level, their special just does tons of damage.

Then death godlikes just need a slightly bigger buff to their special.

I don't even know which is exactly "low HP". +20% damage when ennemies are under 25% I presume.

+50% under 25% would be enough, powerful but still circonstancial. 

Nature's godlike is meh. +3 all stats would be OK.

The reason godlikes can't wear helmets comes from the animation part. I'm 95% sure that it was not possible to make helmets work with their special head geometry/effects in a reasonable amount of time, so the solution was to lock the head slot and just increase the racial in return.

The only time in the game a godlike can wear a helmet in a scripted scene is the Woedica Hood precisely because then they could just replace the whole head model with the static model from the helmet.

While the godlike racials are not equally strong, they are pretty balanced against the maingame helmets. At the moment, they are a big boost in early game and fall of in the expansion and personally, I think such a option is fine.

Lastly, a good effect on kill for the death godlike would be bloodlust from the 'Tempered Helm'. On kill, it gives +3 might, +5 DR and -5 Deflection for 20 seconds.

The spirits usually stun lock due to the phantom and other touch procs. Which then allows them to crit. Maybe that's where the 30 is coming from, but the pale elf DR would negate some of that, as well as having a higher defense against stun/paralysis or higher deflection while stunned.

@Cruise, Yeah I play a tanky char and its rare I ever use it, but like I said it's an emergeancy thing to me, but yeah I sometimes do use it and its really useful =D

But if you don't like it thats fair enough.

Can't please everybody.

@Itanzk I actually originally tried to start with that actually (making the DR get stronger as you leveled) but I simply couldn't get it to work.

I didn't want to take away the 30DR version completely because people who already downloaded it liked it and it be unfair for them to come back at a later date and its gone.

But as I said, there is a 20DR version so I wish people would stop commenting that and be fair as I uploaded a 20DR version, and well the reflection literally always misses on base game so yeah thought I'd change it up, maybe I could change it back to deflection and give it a +30 modifer to deflection attack? as its got +0?

What do you think?

Edited by alexis13

The spirits usually stun lock due to the phantom and other touch procs. Which then allows them to crit. Maybe that's where the 30 is coming from, but the pale elf DR would negate some of that, as well as having a higher defense against stun/paralysis or higher deflection while stunned.

Ment those ogre like things, cant remember what they're called now been ages since i seen one.

You fight one in the very first cave of the tutorial, those things, there is an alpha of one I believe that does that damage.

• 3 weeks later...

I truly loathe godlikes

I don't get why anyone would comment on a mod that changes godlikes if they don't ever plan to use one... but whatever.

that said, I'm far more interested in HOW you (Alexis) made this mod, instead of the details of it.

if you get a few minutes, can you post a small guide?  I'm sure it would be helpful to those of us who want to mod other things as well.

cheers

Edited by Ichthyic