age ratings

I've read somewhere here a very good idea.

It's so simple I can understand why nobody thought about it already and I thought it could be a bit more stressed, thus this topic.

What about having two versions of the game : an adult one and a teen one...

with only some changes (dialogues by exemple).

First, this would content more people to have a product closer to what they are expecting.

Second, the developping community would see that by now, there are many adults playing video games.

What do you think of it ?

Of course, I'm not thinking about doing two different games, just some changes from one core game into two specific games, that shouldn't need too much work.

I think it's more the problem of adding a bigger set of discussions and voices...

In fact, it's not so hard for the developpers : they just write the game without constraint of age (adult version)... then, when censorship (or whatever you call it) comes by, they have to change some dialogues -> teen version.

After that, the problem is more for the publisher, because of marketing and logistic, but in the end, with a small work you can increase the audiance of the game.

In fact, I think having PC and X-Box versions of the same game is asking for more work than having an adult and a teen version.

What was wrong with the first game's rating of teen? I thought the game played out well. Why would you want another rating? I think it was fine for kids to play. Maybe Im crazy...but what exactly about the first game wasn't ok for kids? :lol:

Im sorry....I might seem crazy again but what language? I don't recall any except for the use of the word "damn" like 4 or 5 times in the entire game....Correct me if Im wrong anyone but don't they say worse words on basic television now...and cable? Does your child live in a cave where he or she hears no language? Does your child go to school? If so Im pretty sure they hear worse then the "horrible language" of a star wars video game. :lol: As for "gore"...I don't recall any blood in the first game...infact you can't even dismember people with your lightsaber....Perhaps obsidian can design a game for you with no fight sequences. All the wookies, and Jedi, and Sith can run around in a field with flowers and love eachother. :rolleyes:

Why have two versions of the game with different ratings? Let's face it,these days there isn't a lot of difference between mature rated games & teen rated games.

I'm an avid gamer,and I have see more blood, gore, & "adult" stuff in cartoons then in videogames,but not too many parents object to their kids watching those,do they? :p

what could you possibly add to an adult version that would still meet lucas arts standards? from my understanding they're very strict in this matter. if you look at the movies the dialougue is more or less on par with KOTOR.

the only thing I can think of would be dismemberment animations which IMO is not doable due to KOTORs combat system. here's why, in games like Jedi Knight you have a thing called hit detection. that means if I my shot hits you in the head it registers as a headshot, a shot to the chest registers as such, etc.... In KOTOR it's virtual dice determining whether your attack hits or misses. There are no hit boxes or wound meshes so doing a dismemberment animation correctly would mean reworking the combat system. otherwise you'll have guys dropping arms and limbs randomly. that might be pretty funny actually the animation shows you hitting the guy in the head and his arm falls off. :p

Lucasarts != adult games.

The cold and brutal truth.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

because it makes economic sense to release seperate versions for xbox and pc.

whereas it makes no economic sense to release seperate adult and kids versions.

and, as like meshugger points out, lucasarts prob wouldn't approve anything more explicit than what was in KOTOR1.

dumber than a bag of hammers

lucasarts prob wouldn't approve anything more explicit than what was in KOTOR1.

:D

Even if doing word association, Explicit and Lucasarts would have a hard time appearing in the same thread :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Even if doing word association, Explicit and Lucasarts would have a hard time appearing in the same thread

it's a shame.

if the movies can show dismemberment, charred corpses, chainmail bikinis, and incest, then why can't the games?

if the movies can show dismemberment, charred corpses, chainmail bikinis, and incest, then why can't the games?

My sentiments exactly... :blink:

Perhaps one day, in a galaxy far away, we'll get something like that in a Lucasarts crpg.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

oh- come on! why do you guys want an adult rating? what- some dudes have to loose some limbs? is that it? not enough sex n violence in the game? i don't recall having anything like that in star wars... even the saber cuts have always been clean (in the movies)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

oh- come on! why do you guys want an adult rating? what- some dudes have to loose some limbs? is that it? not enough sex n violence in the game? i don't recall having anything like that in star wars... even the saber cuts have always been clean (in the movies)

I agree. Go play GTA if you want senseless violence. f***tard quatches.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

uh, why not have senseless violence in both?

it'd be really good to crash a landspeeder in KOTOR2 and mug passers-by for a fresh vehicle.

fights with cops, flashy cars, b00ty: these are things that every game should have.

plus GTA has more strippers, celebrity voiceovers, and a much better soundtrack.

so, it's not the killing in itself that's bad but the showing of blood, I get it, because we don't want our kids growing up thinking there will blood n guts splashing everywhere when they cut someone up for the first time

the violence is secondary anyway, nothing will bring a rating up as much as a naked breast or a lill dirty talk

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

Even if doing word association, Explicit and Lucasarts would have a hard time appearing in the same thread

it's a shame.

Not incest, pedophilia. (I'm assuming you're talking about Padme and Anakin.)

Get your sexual deviation straight! <_<

I think I wasn't clear. I'll try to develop what I meant.

I know (at least for some crpgs) that if you develop a game using a 'normal' setting for dialogues and situations (as in real life) some parts are cut because the developers are in fear to miss the teen rating. I don't want to have an 'adult' game full of 'adult' things as in xxx-rated films or other, just a game without constraints like "you can't do that because the game can lose its teen rating". When you look at dialogues or situations when playing a bad guy, or looking at bad guys in Kotor 1, I'm sure everybody here are thinking dialogues are pathetic. I had pity for my character that he was only some stereotype of comic 'bad guy'. Let's face it, the first was really far from what could be the dark side. there were some exceptions, but when you look at the sith in their nazis or ss uniforms being so politically correct, I feel ashamed because I can play them without the impression to be a monster.

If the sith were really as horrible as nazis, I think only few of us could play a dark jedis without to be disgusted.

So, the product I hope to see would be a realist one without such constraints (and so would be rated mature) with another version (easily done, only some small parts would change) for kids.

The problem is when you talk about an adult creation, everyone thinks about something specific to adults. I only want a creation without constraints.

Take a book as an exemple, some books are not recommanded for children because some part of it can be shocking, but it has a sense. The real life is full a shocking situations.

Not incest, pedophilia. (I'm assuming you're talking about Padme and Anakin.)

Get your sexual deviation straight!

you assume wrong. i'm talking about luke and leia's kentucky love in the first two movies.

Not incest, pedophilia.  (I'm assuming you're talking about Padme and Anakin.)

Get your sexual deviation straight!

you assume wrong. i'm talking about luke and leia's kentucky love in the first two movies.

Must've missed that part. Damned childlike innocence! :lol: