I am currently trying to decide a class for a new PoTD campaign, kind of torn between Priest or Paladin.......looking at Priest of Magran, seems kind of interesting disposition and RP-wise, also would be great to wield Steadfast as Magran's favoured weapon....... but is there really a point in playing one if I take Durance along too?

Are there any protagonist specific Priest of Magran scenarios or dialogue paths? I know in my previous playthrough, there was one quest that I could have done differently if I was Priest of Magran, but I can't think of anything else....

My personal opinion: Priests are a lot more fun to play than paladins, simply because you'll always have lots of spells to play around with. Paladins on the other hand, mostly just lay on hands and do the flaming sword thing the whole game.

But as you say, if you want to use Durance, there's hardly any point in rolling another priest of Magran.

Finally, every class gets a couple of lines of unique dialogue, but they're so few and far between, I doubt you'll notice it either way.

My personal opinion: Priests are a lot more fun to play than paladins, simply because you'll always have lots of spells to play around with. Paladins on the other hand, mostly just lay on hands and do the flaming sword thing the whole game.

Huh? Which paladins did you play lately? The two abilities you mentioned are powerful and most paladins use it, but that's not nearly all. :)

But priests are more flexible because the spell variety is bigger, that's true.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Flaming arbalest, prone procs on crit. Battlemage paladin with might and int? The builds do tend to be limited, although not for player paladins due to the wayfarers and what not choices.

The main crit path might be more interesting if you roleplay as a priest for a god, maybe any god. It's not designed that way, of course, because the player's class cannot be assumed to be one or the other, by the narrative designers. So they sprinkle some reactivity dialogue lines, but I still think those resources would have been better spent on Stronghold content and more in depth companion stuff.

Replayability for me is enjoying the content I like, over again. Not doing semi random permutations just to get dialogue lines I could have gotten on the first playthrough, but which ultimately doesn't change the plot or the end results of the game in a significantly different line.

In a table top game, you replay the campaign with a different class, and the GM and your party has to adopt to that, and maybe it wins or maybe it fails hard on its face. But it's something different at least. CRPGs, don't have that fail safe mechanism in the GM. Pillars has real time pause combat though, that's quite enough to sustain replayability, but not the more role playish elements.

Edited by Ymarsakar