Like, Zahua is deep man, At first, I thought they went overboard with the drugs thing, but setting that aside for a moment, a lot of his philosophies are great. I'm sure the writers drew on some real life philosophy when they wrote him.

Letting go of your pleasures to be spiritually free? That's Buddhism. People are always chasing one pleasure or another. Whenever we get a pleasure, we enjoy it for a few seconds, and then start chasing another. We're never content. Only way to enlightenment is letting go of it all.

Appreciating suffering? That's Stocisim. A hungry man really appreciates a simple meal. A cold man really appreciates a blanket. Any suffering that you've gone through enhances the opposite pleasure. So embrace suffering! Or at least, that's how I understand it.

I mean, you meet a lot of priests and strange cultists in fantasy games. And sure, they're fun, but very seldom do you think, "This could work in the real world" (I mean, who would want to be a Magran follower? Too hot for one thing) But Zahua-ism? I'd sign up for that (ermm... assuming the self-mutilation thing isn't compulsory)

999 points to whoever wrote Zahua! He's the kind of guy I'd like to share a cup of mead with in real life.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 6

I admit, I originally kept Zahua around for the stoner jokes, but he really does have a great and real-world-viable philosophy. Tenouttaten.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Letting go of your pleasures to be spiritually free? That's Buddhism. People are always chasing one pleasure or another. Whenever we get a pleasure, we enjoy it for a few seconds, and then start chasing another. We're never content. Only way to enlightenment is letting go of it all.

Appreciating suffering? That's Stocisim. A hungry man really appreciates a simple meal. A cold man really appreciates a blanket. Any suffering that you've gone through enhances the opposite pleasure. So embrace suffering! Or at least, that's how I understand it.

Don't these contradict one another? By what you said above, if you are appreciating suffering then you are enhancing pleasure, but then this would mean that you can't be spiritually free since you're chasing pleasure. By that token, perhaps there are no stoic Buddhist then ... or maybe Zahua is confused (could be the drugs, man).

I can't make myself to like him. To be honest None of WM characters mad a way to my heart. I still prefer character from vanilla game than any of expansions characters. Also playing a Barbarian i prefer having Eder (tank) and few casters/ranged than another melee-dps.

• Like 1

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."

-Zurin Arctus, the Underking

I just have Zahua for his companion quest, so I can get rid of him later. Sacrifical pit near Dyrford seems like a good idea... oh, but there are some more who would make a good sacrifice. So much bloodshed to do, so little sacrifical pits.

And as Skladzien above, I prefer the companions from the base game.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Trust me, it works the same. I tried it yesterday...

Does the description also say that blood comes out of her mouth and eyes as she dies?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Don't these contradict one another? By what you said above, if you are appreciating suffering then you are enhancing pleasure, but then this would mean that you can't be spiritually free since you're chasing pleasure. By that token, perhaps there are no stoic Buddhist then ... or maybe Zahua is confused (could be the drugs, man).

Haha, you're right actually. I've probably misinterpreted why he embraces suffering. Need to go have that conversation with him again. 

Hmmm.... part of the point of the scars (and smearing himself with stinky fish) is to get rid of pride. And he regularly states that suffering is beautiful and leads to enlightenment, but I'm still getting my head around some of it;)

Edited by Heijoushin

You japanese people are strange, going to extremes, too much kamikaze in blood parhaps? =) Anyway, totally agree, I love this companion, his jokes are the best, philosophy is also fantastic, well... for fanatsy world at leastsit sure is and suits this guy alright. He is also pretty useful in combat, able to withstand heavy punishemnt (with joy that is) and fist som baddies... (ugh, that was dirty) nevermind, one of the best PoE and cRPG characters in general I've ever seen. And no, I doubt those who wrote him drew on real life philosophies, they were rather high, and that was real good stuff considering result...

I doubt those who wrote him drew on real life philosophies, they were rather high, and that was real good stuff considering result...

I guess with a nickname like "Stoner" this is commiting ;)

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

[...] (I mean, who would want to be a Magran follower? Too hot for one thing) [...]

[...]

I dunno, man. I can see how Magranism could work, if we had someone properly explain the faith. Durance touches a lot on it, but he never sits down and explains it to you like Zahua does.

I'm imagining a lot of Lutheran "Work makes you free", some "Manifest Destiny" in regards to spreading the civilization of the forge of industry, with a dash of Spanish Inquisition-era Catholicism. And gunpowder crusades on the side.

It would actually be interesting as hell to have a less crazy Magranite explain the faith to you as a character, excerpt from sermons and basic tenets.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

[...] (I mean, who would want to be a Magran follower? Too hot for one thing) [...]

[...]

I dunno, man. I can see how Magranism could work, if we had someone properly explain the faith. Durance touches a lot on it, but he never sits down and explains it to you like Zahua does.

I'm imagining a lot of Lutheran "Work makes you free", some "Manifest Destiny" in regards to spreading the civilization of the forge of industry, with a dash of Spanish Inquisition-era Catholicism. And gunpowder crusades on the side.

It would actually be interesting as hell to have a less crazy Magranite explain the faith to you as a character, excerpt from sermons and basic tenets.

Yeah! Playing the White March 2, the Ondranite faith is also pretty interesting actually.

Instead of just a vague "God of Fire", "God of Hunting", they should have an explanation of the basic tenets.

I really enjoyed his personal quest! Was one of the highlights of White March for me. Voice actor was very good. I wish there would have been more monk to monk specific dialogue, as my main was a monk when I I played White March but Zahua was still fun. I was also really satisfied with my resolution to his personal quest and his ending slides were great.

Haha, you're right actually. I've probably misinterpreted why he embraces suffering. Need to go have that conversation with him again. 

Hmmm.... part of the point of the scars (and smearing himself with stinky fish) is to get rid of pride. And he regularly states that suffering is beautiful and leads to enlightenment, but I'm still getting my head around some of it;)

Mortification of the flesh is normally found in religions as fasting and the death/denial of physical desires, and thus weaknesses. 

The Japanese and Ancient Romans took it to the ultimate conclusion via the stoic/loyalty of killing themselves, sometimes in the most painful of fashions.

I interpreted Stoner's comment as a play on the previous poster's Japanese ish name, but the Japanese do also have a tradition of mortification of the flesh. Hara kiri, for example.

The US Marines and other sub warrior cultures say "pain is weakness leaving the body".

Physical conditioning and athletes also have their own personal goals for strength, inner or outer.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I really enjoyed his personal quest! Was one of the highlights of White March for me. Voice actor was very good. I wish there would have been more monk to monk specific dialogue, as my main was a monk when I I played White March but Zahua was still fun. I was also really satisfied with my resolution to his personal quest and his ending slides were great.

I peeked through the ending slides for him and none of them seemed to be sad, like I think you can convince him of multiple things like Sagani but in his case he takes something positive from everything.

I interpreted Stoner's comment as a play on the previous poster's Japanese ish name, but the Japanese do also have a tradition of mortification of the flesh. Hara kiri, for example.

It was just a joke, OP has japan-esque nick and location says... =)

lol, "Japanese-ish", "Japan-esque"... Its a Japanese word 平常心 ;)

I don't see Zahua as particularly Japanese though. More like an 80s hippie.

Yeah, I suppose the pain/suffering is about the death of physical desires. People first run from pain, then seek pleasure, so I suppose when you're in pain, pleasures are far from your mind.

It was just a joke, OP has japan-esque nick and location says... =)

lol, "Japanese-ish", "Japan-esque"... Its a Japanese word 平常心 ;)

I don't see Zahua as particularly Japanese though. More like an 80s hippie.

Yeah, I suppose the pain/suffering is about the death of physical desires. People first run from pain, then seek pleasure, so I suppose when you're in pain, pleasures are far from your mind.

Zahua is indeed a play on that hippie drug culture combined with warrior philosophy, that normally people don't expect to see together.

What I was referring to is Japan's stoicism and warrior culture (honor culture) juxtaposed and compared against the ascetic nature of Western cultures, like monks who prefer poverty or suffering.

The key aspect in common is Willpower. The ability to control your own desires and self, since naturally people drift towards pleasure and away from pain. Thus those who can master themselves, demonstrate this self mastery by doing what others would not be capable of doing. Hence Hara kiri or scarring yourself or inflicting punishments on yourself, or depriving yourself of wealth or luxury or water or food.

It is a fundamental precept in some lines, that the greatest enemy to a person is themselves. Thus they fight and "kill" themselves via mortification of the flesh, and thus by conquering their greatest enemy, themselves, they gain greater heights of power or self mastery. Whether due to religious customs or warrior rituals, either can apply. (Jibun no katsu)

From the Hagure Kure I think.

"Cause pain before you injure. Injure before you maim. Maim before you kill. And if you must kill, make it a clean kill. Squeeze every drop of life from the opponent. Because life is so precious, it cannot be wasted, even in death."

“Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life.”

"'He either fears his fate too much,
    Or his dessert is small,
Who fears to put it to the touch,
    And win or lose it all.' - Montrose's Toast
Edited by Ymarsakar