• 1 year later...

Marked is not an affliction or status effect that is put on an enemy.

It works for the nearest party member who attacks the same initial target as the "marker" does. It is "on" as soon as you command the marker to attack the enemy with the marking weapon. Coordinated Attacks (paladin) works the same. AoE attacks that target the ground (like Fireball) don't trigger Coord. Attacks, even if you click on an enemy and not the ground. Only attacks that have an initial target will trigger Coordinated Attacks. Same with Marking on weapons: a pistol with marking would "mark" the enemy which you target, but for example Powder Burns doesn't work. Driving Flight also nope.

It seems to be the click-to-attack on the enemy which triggers it, not the attack itself. It stays active as long as you attack. If you heal or do anything else it instantly stops. So you can see it's not some kind of hidden affliction with a timer on the target.

Last time I checked marking didn't work with carnage, only the initial target from which carnage emanates will be marked for your nearest companion that attacks the same initial target. I don't think OBS changed that in the latest patches.

A better way would be to use a disorienting weapon. It's "only" -5 to all defenses, but it works with carnage and all your party members will benefit from it. It doesn't stack with itself anymore.

Tl;Dr: BotEP's marking will not work with carnage, only with the initial target.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Are you sure marking only confers an accuracy bonus to the closest ally Boeroer? In one of my recent playthrough I tried a +30 accuracy marking Paladin, and found that marking gave the bonus to all allies attacking the marked target rather than the one just beside them.

I did it by putting a priest behind a wizard behind a paladin, and observed that both shadowflame and storm of holy fire got the marking accuracy bonus.

Are you sure that this was because of marking? Shadowflame and Storm of Holy Fire got a +30 ACC (marking+marking+coordinated attacks) bonus just for that "marked" enemy? You didn't use Inspiring Radiance, Devotions or had a Wood Elf or active Fighting Spirit or so?

PoE currently also has issues with the correct ACC value in the char sheet. It forgets to display WF and some other stuff, but in the combat log it will be correct.

I only know that it used to be as I described. I didn't test it with AoE spells though - only with several melee characters and also a barb. That was a while ago as I said (2.03 or something), so it might have changed. OBS changes a lot of mechanics stuff between patches without saying anything about it in the patch notes.  :getlost:

The "trick" that a dual wilding marking setup (like Cladhaltiah + Shame or Glory) stacks and the marking of two seperate guys (one with Cladhaliath, the other with Shame or Glory) does not is a recent discovery though.

Edited by Boeroer

I did it by putting a priest behind a wizard behind a paladin, and observed that both shadowflame and storm of holy fire got the marking accuracy bonus.

That's strange.

I remember I was testing this in January (although only marking + auto-attacking), and the rule was:

"the target to receive +10 accuracy, is decided at the moment when paladin receives an 'attack order' on an enemy. The target (for the buff) is the closest party-member to paladin at that moment. If the paladin receives another type of order like: stop, move or cast some spell not on that target, the 10 bonus accuracy are lost." 

That could happen if:

- wizard was closest to paladin

- wizard is attacking an enemy target

- paladin receives an attack order on the same enemy

- wizard casts shadowflame

- priest is quickly moved to be closer to paladin than wizard; and is issued to attack the enemy

- paladin is issued stop and attack command

- priest casts storm of holy fire

Or maybe when wizard casted shadowflame, he received bonus acc from marking because that was RangedAoEAttack, hence attack, and immediately lost it because it was not auto-attack. And the next target to benefit from marking was priest.

Okay, I did a quick test with two rangers and a chanter with BotEP: only the nearest ranger gets +10 ACC.

Can't say anything about Coordinated Attacks, will do a quick test with that now.

Did you factor in that spells get +1 ACC per character level and have innate accuracy bonuses (Shadowflame has +10 +level, Shining Beacon +15 +level)?

I will try spells next...

Edited by Boeroer

Ha - I know what happened I guess.

I tried it with the same character/spell setup that you described and got the same results. So rejoice, you're not going insane or something - and you made no mistakes. ;)

However, marking and CA still work as intended. It's just that a caster switches to idle right after his spellcasting. Once the wizard switches from casting to idle, he will not "call for" the marking bonus and therefore the priest will claim it automatically. Then, after tjhe priest's spell hit, the wizard can use the marking again if he's casting again. Only if the two spells hit at the exact same time only one caster will get the bonus. Since this rarely happens, this is great news for casters + marking. Really great.

You just have to make sure that nobody who is using weapon (auto)attacks claims the marking, because then it will be "blocked" for all others. He will not turn idle after every weapon attack and thus the marking will not be free to "float around" like it does when a caster attacks and then immediately turns idle.

I guess this can be used best when you turn off AI completely (as I always do anyway).

Hope you can follow me... ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Whew thought my credibility had gone out the window there for a sec  :geek:

Let's say you have a different example now:

– Marking Paladin is attacking target A

– Fighter is attacking target B, but is closest to Paladin

– Nearby Wizard fires a spell and hits target A

Does Wizard still get the marking bonus?

Whew thought my credibility had gone out the window there for a sec  :geek:

Let's say you have a different example now:

– Marking Paladin is attacking target A

– Fighter is attacking target B, but is closest to Paladin

– Nearby Wizard fires a spell and hits target A

Does Wizard still get the marking bonus?

Yes, he still gets the bonus for target A because he's the only one (besides the paladin) who's attacking A at the moment. Fighter doesn't interfere here.

Yeah - this makes a marking paladin (or any other build that uses marking) even more useful. Who would have thought that this idle time after casting (=cancelling the attack) is such a nice thing to have. While casting untargeted AoE spells (doing the animation and so on) the marking is not claimed - the game only checks who gets marking once such AoE spell hits. It's awesome.

Maybe a caster will claim marking right away during casting time if he uses a targeted spell (missiles or such). I think he does. So in combination with marking you would want to use non-targeted spells. So spells like Nocrotic Lance, Missiles, Bolts and whatnot and the whole cipher class don't benefit from this "quirk". It's not really a quirk though. 

My build concept was a Paladin that had +30 passive marking that can move around the Battlefield at lightning speed (+8/9 speed) with Zealous charge on and deliver the marking bonus to important targets around the battlefield on-demand. 

Also did a quick test on the barb+carnage+marking.

Confirmed: carnage doesn't work with marking.

We got there in the end =)

• Like 1

My build concept was a Paladin that had +30 passive marking that can move around the Battlefield at lightning speed (+8/9 speed) with Zealous charge on and deliver the marking bonus to important targets around the battlefield on-demand. 

Sounds nice. Although a paladin with a marking ranged weapon might need less running around. ;)

Did you think about Cape of the Cheat (if the path is blocked)? Or did you perhaps use Fast Runner + Graceful Retreat + item with disengaging bonus (boots or armor or cape) for a total bonus of +32? He could also use a shield just for the way to his target to prevent hits. Because I can imagine that all the disengagement attacks can be frustrating once there's no open space and you have to run past enemies.

Edited by Boeroer

Sounds nice. Although a paladin with a marking ranged weapon might need less running around. ;)

Did you think about Cape of the Cheat (if the path is blocked)? Or did you perhaps use Fast Runner + Graceful Retreat + item with disengaging bonus (boots or armor or cape) for a total bonus of +32? He could also use a shield just for the way to his target to prevent hits. Because I can imagine that all the disengagement attacks can be frustrating once there's no open space and you have to run past enemies.

I called it Ondra's "Gift", it's kind of a play on how moon godlikes are supposed to be lucky (i.e. the accuracy bonus granted is lucky) and she was always at the right place and at the right time. Talents: Superior Deflection, Veterans Recovery, Inspiring Liberation, Fast Runner, Deep Pockets, Scion of Flame, Graceful Retreat, Deep Faith ... Abilities: Lay On Hands, Zealous Charge, Liberating Exhortation, Coordinated Attacks, Reinforcing Exhortation, Reviving Exhortation, Sacred Immolation, Inspiring Triumph. Though if I was going to post it I'd amend some of those for some Alpha Strike capabilities (definitely Flames of Devotion + Quickswitch + Arms Bearer + Prestidigitators Missiles + Vulnerable Attack). Used Dimensional Switch from Unlaboured Blade and Cape of the Cheat too.

Edited by Livegood118
  • Like 1