Any tips for dealing with Adragans on solo POTD?

I keep coming across Adragans on POTD soloing as a rogue, and I'm finding them very difficult to deal with. Most Petrify me for 20s, then the rest of their group swarms me and kills me in a couple of hits. Even when they're on their own, there's a good chance they Petrify and then crit me with their shock spell.

All I'm managing to do so far is separate off their group with Shadowing Beyond, and then once I have them alone spam figurines and try to hit them as hard and as fast as possible so they don't have a chance to Moonwell. Still, I wanted to know if there's something I'm missing as this strategy isn't great.

Any tips for taking them out much more easily? I don't know if anyone else has already posted about this, but it seems like all that happens when you google or forum search Adragan is loads of threads about Gaze of the Adragan come up.

Confuse scrolls is a good advice. It's a pity you can't use scrolls out of combat though. Does Ring of Changing Heart still work out of combat as opener? Or Munacra Arret? Or Spirit Spiral? You could also try if Enigma's Charm works for you. Can't remember if Andragans are immune to charm/dominate - but since they can be confused I guess not.

A confuse/charm/dominate out of stealth or invisibility makes most encounters much easier.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 year later...

Sadly, none of these tactics work against a group of them. Confusing and/or Charm have too short a duration to matter. Prayer Against Imprisonment does not protect against Stun (Returning Storm). It also requires 10 Lore and a crafting ingredient I've not yet found by Act 3 (Lagufaeth Liver). You end up being stun locked and/or Petrified at some point. What worked however was summoning decoys first then using two scrolls of Missile Barrage to kill one before retreating. That's how I took out three of them in the Northweald.

Edit: little update. More groups of 3 are found in the Endless Paths. I wasn't able to use the aforementioned technique. Moonwell or Nature's Vigor will also counter it. I had to pull and split the group to try and deal with one Adragan and less enemies if possible. So even if you get petrified, you can absorb the damage. Also, the Adragans seem to engage if they're alone or with few allies.

Edited by Asccs

Have you chosen rogue specifically for solo for some reason? I just finished The Ultimate on my priest. Except the beginning the game is a cakewalk. Litany against major afflictions wins the game. And i must say, it way a great fun.

• Like 1

Only safe way to deal with them without prayer against imprisonment scroll is to buff Fortitude to ridiculous levels. Maximise MIG and CON, add food, rest and Salty Mast bonuses, then add as many temporary bonuses as possible.

Their accuracy is (I think) 55 or 70 (PotD). Since even a graze from Petrify is game over for solo, you need buffed Fortitude of 140 or 155. Something like:

20 base

+ 30 at level 11 (+45 at level 16)

+ 9 ring of protection or similar

Get MIG and CON to around 25 each = +60

That’s 119 / 134 at max level.

Open with Scroll of Defence (or similar) gets you just anout there: 139 / 154

• Like 1

Only safe way to deal with them without prayer against imprisonment scroll is to buff Fortitude to ridiculous levels. Maximise MIG and CON, add food, rest and Salty Mast bonuses, then add as many temporary bonuses as possible.

Their accuracy is (I think) 55 or 70 (PotD). Since even a graze from Petrify is game over for solo, you need buffed Fortitude of 140 or 155. Something like:

20 base

I believe Adragans to have like 100-110 accuracy on PotD...

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

20 base

I believe Adragans to have like 100-110 accuracy on PotD...

Correct, best way to deal with them solo is to have the scrolls that make you immune to petrify or have great FORT.  Dominate should not be an issue solo.  Also confuse scrolls.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Congrats Bhall! Litany Against Major Afflictions is indeed quite powerful. I've chosen Monk myself. I'm still experimenting since it's my first complete run.

And I agree with Jaheiras. I'm getting to higher levels now and I've seen Adragans miss a few times because of high Fortitude. Unfortunately, you have to raise it to very high levels. Returning Storm checks Fortitude for the Stun effect.

So, here's the Accuracy for various spells (they must have Accuracy bonuses):

* Returning Storm and Talon's Reach = 80

* Petrify and Dominate = 100

I'm thinking about ditching a few Talents for Bear's Fortitude (+10 to Fortitude) and Body Control (+10 Defense against Paralyzed, Petrified, Sickened, Stunned and Weakened). Looped Rope would have helped too (+20 Defense against all Afflictions).

Edited by Asccs
  • Like 1

Congrats Bhall! Litany Against Major Afflictions is indeed quite powerful. I've chosen Monk myself. I'm still experimenting since it's my first complete run.

And I agree with Jaheiras. I'm getting to higher levels now and I've seen Adragans miss a few times because of high Fortitude. Unfortunately, you have to raise it to very high levels. Returning Storm checks Reflexes.

So, here's the Accuracy for various spells (they must have Accuracy bonuses):

* Returning Storm and Talon's Reach = 80

* Petrify and Dominate = 100

I'm thinking about ditching a few Talents for Bear's Fortitude (+10 to Fortitude) and Body Control (+10 Defense against Paralyzed, Petrified, Sickened, Stunned and Weakened). Looped Rope would have helped too (+20 Defense against all Afflictions).

Pretty sure the stun checks Fort. And ya for my front liners who I bait attack’s too I take Bears Fort and Body Control both are great defensive talents. Good thinking.

In PoTD your most important defense is Fort, I say after that it’s reflex, deflection and will.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Ah, you're right! The Stun effect checks Fortitude. The Shock damage checks Reflex. All the better!

Why do you value Reflex over Deflection? I'd say Deflection gets the most damage.

Yes, deflection gets attacked more but it is not dangerous so if you take a hit no big deal. It is usually auto attacks from Kith which can be mitigated with DR and passive healing they have similar stats to you so their minimum damage is not dangerous.  A lot of CC abilities attack Fort and Reflex (some Will) and if you get CCed your defenses will be so low it wont matter how much deflection you have and you will eat bad crits.  Also if you get into a situation where a Dragon Breath goes off it targets Reflex even a graze can be superbly painful from that.  I think in those terms because those are the only bad guys that really threaten an ironman run at this point for me.  Remember if a dragon is auto attacking you it targets your Fort not deflection.  

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

• 2 months later...

On most recent playthrough I discovered just how good Scrolls of Protection / Potions of Major Recovery are. They proactively cut all affliction times by 50/60%. Adragans are suddenly not such a huge threat (assuming your FOR is decent so you are not getting crit by Petrify). A graze is only about 4 seconds if you have used the scroll or potion and even a hit is 9 seconds. Assuming you have some decent regen (Veteran’s recovery / Moonwell / Shod in Faith) a graze from Petrify is an irrelevance and even a hit is survivable.

Just another tool which might help. I ended up using these for just about every battle, as long as you have crafting ingredients they reduce the difficulty of any fight massively.

Im too dumb to deal with adragans without having a priest or goldpact knight in the party lol. Just one adragan and you can blast them away with a single arquebus FoD shot but when there is three or more its just a pain. On PoTD I usually just have my priest put the protection against major afflictions on my fighter then charge them and frag them. I don't know how anyone can solo this game on a rogue on PoTD difficulty, it would have to be extremely tiresome.

Adragans? I did Ultimate with a Wizard, but it should work just the same with a Rogue:

1) Use summons (deep pockets comes in handy here),

2) Confuse (make sure to hit any non-adragan opponents as well if possible)

3) Deal with them from a distance, repeating 1/2 as required.

I didn't use any special protective measures; might be required with a rogue, though.

If they're too fast for you, you might want to confuse them first, then summon extras.

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard