In Need Of Forum Moderators?

Mr. Teatime

There won't be many of those such people yet, but as soon as a new project is announced, there will be. Especially if it is KoTOR2.

I never even thought of this place getting swarmed with SW fans. s**t. We are going to need alot more moderators.

Assuming that is true, that will be most certainly the case.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Assuming that is true, that will be most certainly the case.

Man, that will be weird. SW avatars and quotes in sigs. Having to explain what Fallout is. Debating canon vs. gameplay topics. All in all, I fear for them. We are an "interesting" (see: hostile) bunch.

Maybe we should "vote" for mods. Get a few names together (you have to get nominated or something) and then make a poll. Maybe Obsidian will listen? Its an idea.

already is threads with profanity and substantial flaming

I know, but did you expect anything else of the bat?

This place will settle down. No biggie.

no, we expected that obsidian would let things pretty much go to hell over the weekend... sorta a test run to see how board software holds up and to see what the vandals try w/o no interference.

as to this place settling down... why would you expect that? point us to a game board w/o no real moderation that is settled. and this board? HA! people with old grudges who generally not post in same places has now been thrown back together 'gain. there is the bis fans and the bio fans and there is the fallout3 folks and the bg3 folks and there is folks who hate star wars, and there is lucas fans, and it appears that they is all gonna be posting here for some time... so, what makes you think things will settle down? they is gonna get worse 'fore they get better.

as to who should be a mod... fan mods are generally a waste of space. we has seen some small number who did a good job, but for the most part

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Man, that will be weird. SW avatars and quotes in sigs. Having to explain what Fallout is. Debating canon vs. gameplay topics. All in all, I fear for them. We are an "interesting" (see: hostile) bunch.

I fear for us :rolleyes: The Star Wars fans are legion, we are but a few.

newlogo.gif

You make it sound as if I abuse my moderating privledges at the RPG Codex or the Circle of Eight forums, both of which I administrate, Gromnir.

I may have proposed banning you (don't take it personally) from the Codex due to your constant trolling but not once did I even lift a finger to quell my personal disagreements with you by force.

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Things could get... interesting.

The old Black Isle guard roughly re-assembling after the diaspora meeting with the Star Wars fan base and Bioware kids.

There's actually nice potential for a good forum. Or absolute chaos. Though I guess for some people the two are not mutually exclusive and rather go hand-in-hand.

newlogo.gif

heck, we didn't even know that you had proposed banning us... HA! sorry, but if you is holding out your status as a mod at codex as evidence that you is qualified to be a mod for obsidian, then we not think we need to respond no further.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

already is threads with profanity and substantial flaming

I know, but did you expect anything else of the bat?

This place will settle down. No biggie.

no, we expected that obsidian would let things pretty much go to hell over the weekend... sorta a test run to see how board software holds up and to see what the vandals try w/o no interference.

as to this place settling down... why would you expect that? point us to a game board w/o no real moderation that is settled. and this board? HA! people with old grudges who generally not post in same places has now been thrown back together 'gain. there is the bis fans and the bio fans and there is the fallout3 folks and the bg3 folks and there is folks who hate star wars, and there is lucas fans, and it appears that they is all gonna be posting here for some time... so, what makes you think things will settle down? they is gonna get worse 'fore they get better.

as to who should be a mod... fan mods are generally a waste of space. we has seen some small number who did a good job, but for the most part

God knows that we all want the meek, the disheartened and the unwilling to lead a society, or in this case moderate a forum.

What a fine display of logic.

Exitium

God knows that we all want the meek, the disheartened and the unwilling to lead a society, or in this case moderate a forum.

What a fine display of logic.

Obsidian will decide how they want this forum run, not the mods. The mods just inforce what they say. Like it or not. Its not about week or strong wills.

Fair enough, but the people who request to be moderators might have questionable reasons for wanting it. Maybe it's just me, but I would hate to moderate a forum. Not exactly an enjoyable dispensation of my time. Therefore the only person that I can picture who'd request to be a mod is the sort that only does it for a weird sense of poweror geekish fame. Obviously there are exceptions. However I'd still rather see someone who was asked. If they're asked then we know the admins think them capable (read: not weak willed) and they also aren't doing it for thrills.

Clearly this place and RPGcodex need to be modded differently, but that doesn't nessasarily mean he would be a bad mod here. After all, he pretty much has to do what Obsidian wants him to do, or he won't be a mod long.

he got references of modding from some other board

The mods should enforce the rules; however, this has often not been the case with various IPLY/BIS forums - and, whether Obsidian likes it or not, the comparisons are inevitable.

There needs to be a clearly defined policy on posting, and this policy should be available to all members rather than displayed in the obligatory "mod forum." The policy should leave little room for interpretation, and the mods should always have a clear idea of what must be done. The policy needs to be flexible enough so that people aren't banned left and right for minor transgressions, but it also needs to be strict enough to work for long-term offenders (...bluehorse...).

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

p.s. we do think it is funny that exit wanted us banned from codex... posting today weren't a total waste it seems.
Don't you guys start going back and forth in a topic about who should mod! :D

The policy should leave little room for interpretation, and the mods should always have a clear idea of what must be done. The policy needs to be flexible enough so that people aren't banned left and right for minor transgressions

I very much agree

I'd think Sammael would make a good mod, but I am pretty sure he'd never do it here. ;)

he got references of modding from some other board

Exitium

Here we go... Silly arguments over who'd make the best mods. Let's allow Obsidian to amke the chocie. I'd offer my services (for free!); but I'm sure many posters would hate that idea. Oh well.. I've survived this long without modship; I'll survive longer.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

there is the bis fans and the bio fans and  there is the fallout3 folks and the bg3 folks and there is folks who hate star wars, and there is lucas fans, and it appears that they is all gonna be posting here for some time... so, what makes you think things will settle down?  they is gonna get worse 'fore they get better.

Damn, you're right. Better get some batons and tranquilizer guns in here too, fast.