Druid suggestions (haven't played since release)

I haven't played this game since it first came out and I was planning on playing as a Druid for this run. I've been looking up Druid builds but most of them were in 2015 and are outdated as a result of all the updates since t. It's hard to find information about how to build a Druid after all the patches as a result.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd appreciate it since I want to make my Druid a DPS built around Spiritshifting. I'm not looking for a step by step guide, just a few tips or suggestions and I'd really appreciate it.

Also I was wondering which Spiritshift form would be the most fun to play as. I'm torn between either Cat or Wolf since I like both Knockdown and faster attacking but can't decide which one I'd like to use. I'd like to hear your opinions on either one of the forms you use.

Spiritshift gets superpowerful if you combine it with Avenging Storm in higher levels. Basically you take Outlander'S Frenzy, Wildstrike Shock, Greater Wildstrike Shock, Heart of the Storm, Two Weapon Style, Weapn Focus Peasant and Vulnerable Attack. The animal form is not so important. If you want fast hits (great with Avenging Storm) take cat form. If you want cool looks take stag. ;) The stag carnage is very potent but  it's only 1/rest. You basically cast Returning Storm, Relentless Storm, Avenging Storm and Outlander's Frenzy and then shift. Your hits will deal massive damage and your foes will be stunned all the time because of the storms (your melee hits will also stun) - more than a rogue's with Deathblows* - and you will be superfast. However - it takes a lot of times to cast all that spells. In my experience half of the fights are over before you are finished with all the casting. - and it's a lot of micromanagement. But without doubt ist's one of the best melee dps builds. Hits/crits up to 160 damage and more with nearly no recovery and 10 DR bypass. Most Ogres die within two hits. It doesn't last very long - but you can always retreat and cast. 

What I like better it this approach (one of my favorite builds because it's so simple and effective): Batsh!t Crazy

No babysitting, very tanky (totally front line approved), very effective and also works like a charm with Hiravias. It's basically a tank that also dishes out lots of CC and damage. I love it when superdefensive builds can also deal good damage and/or CC. It makes fights a bit longer but at the same time makes the game supereasy and fluent.

)* no discussions please - I had that with nemesis on these forums. I was in favour for the rogue. My arguments were utterly destroyed when I playtestet his build suggestions. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Spiritshift gets superpowerful if you combine it with Avenging Storm in higher levels. Basically you take Outlander'S Frenzy, Wildstrike Shock, Greater Wildstrike Shock, Heart of the Storm, Two Weapon Style, Weapn Focus Peasant and Vulnerable Attack. The animal form is not so important. If you want fast hits (great with Avenging Storm) take cat form. If you want cool looks take stag. ;) The stag carnage is very potent but  it's only 1/rest. You basically cast Returning Storm, Relentless Storm, Avenging Storm and Outlander's Frenzy and then shift. Your hits will deal massive damage and your foes will be stunned all the time because of the storms (your melee hits will also stun) - more than a rogue's with Deathblows* - and you will be superfast. However - it takes a lot of times to cast all that spells. In my experience half of the fights are over before you are finished with all the casting. - and it's a lot of micromanagement. But without doubt ist's one of the best melee dps builds. Hits/crits up to 160 damage and more with nearly no recovery and 10 DR bypass. Most Ogres die within two hits. It doesn't last very long - but you can always retreat and cast. 

What I like better it this approach (one of my favorite builds because it's so simple and effective): Batsh!t Crazy

No babysitting, very tanky (totally front line approved), very effective and also works like a charm with Hiravias. It's basically a tank that also dishes out lots of CC and damage. I love it when superdefensive builds can also deal good damage and/or CC. It makes fights a bit longer but at the same time makes the game supereasy and fluent.

)* no discussions please - I had that with nemesis on these forums. I was in favour for the rogue. My arguments were utterly destroyed when I playtestet his build suggestions. ;)

Is the reason for the Druids jaw dropping performance compared to a rogue not due to a bug? Also it comes pretty much at the end of the game.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Spiritshift has a bug at the moment where it will apply the Wildstrike lash damage to every hit roll, spells as well as melee attacks. So the hits of Avenging Storm also get a lash bonus. It's good but even without that the damage is jawdropping. You don't need Avenging Storm to score +100 damage hits/crits all the time.

• Like 1

Spiritshift has a bug at the moment where it will apply the Wildstrike lash damage to every hit roll, spells as well as melee attacks. So the hits of Avenging Storm also get a lash bonus. It's good but even without that the damage is jawdropping. You don't need Avenging Storm to score +100 damage hits/crits all the time.

Phew that is impressive, and just in time for my new playthrough, coincidentally with a Druid main:)

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'm doing the same but with corrode wildstrike beacause il less resisted. I'm thing to not take vulnerabile attack, since 5 dr when you score so huge hits doesn't matter much, and you lose huge speed. Maybe the other attack modal +20%dmg, -5 precision will prove better. I' m in doubt for outlander frenzy, the good thing is per encounters speed boost ( vs angio gambeson 1/day alacrity of motion) the bad is the casting time, you want to trow yourself in battle asap usually.

What you can test is wearing Shod-in-Faith and Sanguine Plate (and other items that trigger a buff on crit), go into the fight and get a crit, THEN switch. You will have Frenzy & Consecrated Ground while being shifted. Spares casting time. ;)

• Like 1

I took shield talent, outlander in the beginning. Hiravias can shield tank or use outlander/shift for lots of melee hits. Getting the recovery time to near zero, is very nice for dps. Hiravias is using aloth's leather armor. Using the druid regen spells, he can still take a fair bit of damage.

I've noticed that attack speed affects spell recovery, but only recently did I realize that that means I should stop using cautious attack on my casters.

No wonder those cipher hybrid builds were too slow. And exploiting this little thing that's been the case since passive effects for all weapons were added in to be stackable, that engithan scepter with 20% attack speed and the march steel dagger also has 20% steel, easily gotten in Act 1-2.

I like hybrid or flexible builds, that are good at melee or range depending on the tactical situation, and has a lot of options, without needing to specialize for one talent path.

One of the problems with spending multiple patch revisions with one save game is that some of the changes tend to get forgotten. Because attack speed was not so good in the past, I guess I haven't tested it thoroughly when they buffed it up for weapons.

The wizard when it took small sneak attack talent, also applied it to spells if I recall. Wonder if they fixed that, it seems to not apply to priest attack spells at least.

Edited by Ymarsakar