I have been away from the game since The White March, Part I, and as I reviewed the patch notes, I noticed the following nuggets in Patch 3.0:

·  Immunity: Ground added to a large number of spirits, drakes, wurms.

·  Immunity: Prone removed from dragons, replaced with Immunity: Unconscious and Resist: Prone (+20).

·  Removed Prone immunity from spectres, shadows, shades, phantoms, cean gwla, and battery sirens.

When I last played, there were no CC-immune or resistant enemies in the game on PotD.  However, the above patch notes make it clear that, at some point, there were enemies immune to Prone.

For those of you who are already playing the latest patch of The White March, Part II, have you come across any CC-immune or highly resistant enemies?  If they are immune to a form of CC, is it only one type or all of them?  Also, which effects are classified as "Ground" and "Unconscious?"  I'm guessing that Slicken is a ground effect, while Amplified Wave and Confusion are not.  "Unconscious" seems even more open to interpretation.

^^ yes, but immunity to many hard-cc options (like stun, prone, paralyze) is rare. Unconsciousness is an exception to this rule. Spells/effects have their classification listed under their name (poison, ground, etc) -- many that were not previously classified now are. Malignant Cloud, for instance, has greatly reduced utility because it is a poison spell now.

The immunities will, I think, matter more for casters than non-casters. It looks like a concerted effort was made to ensure that the core-class capabilities of martial classes remained viable in the majority of combat situations. 

Edited by lantzk

Yeah, Immunties only really affect martial classes from using prone or stun weapons to lock down creatures. And since so little is immune to stun, it doesn't really affect that. And with the introduction of 'ground' immunity, rather than just prone itself, those weapons gained back a lot of utility.

Of course, this all of very limited use in WM2, as the tougher fights are full for dorks with 120+ in all their defenses, making it take heavy buffs/debuffs to even put Crits on the table, let alone the 50%+ range you can get them in the rest of the game.

I think it still hurts martial a little more since a caster can just choose a difference spell and loses nothing. A charm focused cipher might be a little sad, sometimes. Good thing they have OP non-charm powers that work against everything.

A fighter's knock down, however, become useless if an enemy is immune to prone. That said, I have not found it to be an issue since the enemies that are immune are usually weak anyways, or are mixed with enemies that are vulnerable so you can still use it in the encounter. Finally, it is still useful even with immunity because it also increases damage and is a full attack (more damage for dual-weapons). So basically, nothing important has changed that should influence your ability choices.

Not sure about stun immunity.. If your whole plan is to stun lock everything with weapons, will you run into problems? Maybe a barbarian with super high accuracy and max attack speed and intelligence. Guess you could have a backup weapon set (maybe 1 sec. interrupt rating weapons) for those situations. With max accuracy, you also will have max interrupt and I don't know of anything immune to that.

Edited by Braven

Well, max accuracy and interrupt don't always go hand in hand. In 2.0, I generally used a stun lock plan without much ability to interrupt, just because few things had more than 85 defense, so gear+ a single buff and debuff would put it into 50%+ range no problem. This even for my 10 perception guys, who weren't interrupting jack. Going for crits and going for interrupts require two somewhat different approaches to buffing/gearing/debuffs.

Do CC-immune enemies still exist on PotD?

Yes. And there are many.

Although rarely an enemy type is immune to majority of CCs. As rule of thumb (with few exceptions; mostly bosses):

- kith and regular beasts have no immunities.

- vessels are immune to will related stuff (charm, dominate, confuse) plus some 'body' afflictions like poisons and diseases. Higher vessels (like lich) get additional immunities against poison, dazed, terrified and unconscious.

- spirits (incl. blights) have immunities to [poison, disease, sickened] + [hobbled + stuck] + [prone + ground]

- wilders (excl. vithracks) have no immunities

- vithracks: confused, charmed, dominated, hobbled, stuck, ground

- primordials: share immunities to: petrified, stuck, hobbled. With the exception of Lurkers, which are immune to: confused, charmed, dominated, paralyzed, stunned, frightened and terrified effects.

If they are immune to a form of CC, is it only one type or all of them?

With the exception of animated weapons (which are susceptible only to petrify), almost any enemy has a weak spot, i.e. a CC he can be affected by.

Also, which effects are classified as "Ground" and "Unconscious?" I'm guessing that Slicken is a ground effect, while Amplified Wave and Confusion are not. "Unconscious" seems even more open to interpretation.

"Unconscious" is a status effect. It has the same effect as "paralyzed" (i.e. minus 40 to def and reflex. Dex is set to zero). As example: wizard's "Call to Slumber" causes this effect.

"Ground" is not a status effect. It is an attack category. For example spell "Slicken" causes "Prone", but is marked as "Ground" because it targets the ground itself. Specific creatures (mainly flying monsters and spirits) are immune to such attacks. E.g. a shade or phantom will not be affected by Slicken, but can still be proned by your fighter's knockdown.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1