So I am really digging this more offensive minded setup for Pallegina. I balanced her Item distribution abilities and talents that she is very good in a lot of areas and has LOTS of per encounter abilities which are nice and is very good at against both mob groups and tough single targets. 

*granted I also run an additional skaen priest in the party most of the time so he and she sort of mix ^ mash and balance out the healing and buffing needs of the party and can switch offence + defense to boot as skaen priests are very good on offense as well, but with the priest I do not need to give healing talents to Pallegina and instead can bolster her offensive prowess.

post-160558-0-51279300-1457110659_thumb.jpgpost-160558-0-76014000-1457110020_thumb.jpg

talents. *at lvl 12 currently

intense flames

weapon and shield style

scion of flame

aspirant's mark

vulnerable attack

wrath of the five suns (or vielo vidorio)

note: if you take vielo vidorio do so right at the start as your first or second talent, its great for the whole party. I personally had it for most of the game but now respeced for wrath of the five suns since I want to concentrate her fire powess, and since at this point the characters who need haste can generate it themselves.. 

items:

neck: amulet of the summer solstice grants sunbeam 3 per rest (normal), cloak of comfort (equip it in really tough battles for extra defense)

armor: ryonas breastplate

rings: deflection + protection

gloves: bracers of all consuming rage

belt: girdle of the driving wave (grants knockdown 1 per encounter)

weapon 1 : the best arquebus you can get (for FoD opening shot)

weapon 2 : the flames of fair rhian + outworn buckler (both made suberb if possible) 3 more fireballs per rest :)

Once I get sacred immolation I will probably go drawn in spring or unlabored blade and drop the arquebus, the sabre with the 3 fireballs per rest (flames of fair rhian) is too good on this build.

aspirants mark (lowers reflex) + 3 fireballs in a tough fight with the scion of flame talent is pretty awesome. In general I find this build for Pallegina is pretty awesome. 

She has GREAT! offensive tools for any situation 1 per encounter with these items and talents: debuff a group = aspirants mark and fireballs on their faces if they are a tough mob. boss? no problem = sworn enemy and it gets hit for massive damage with wrath of the five suns. annoying mage? = knockdown his ass. 

then she can get 3 sunbeam per rest and 3 fireball per rest, not too shabby. 

I also use scrolls of burst of summer flame in one item slot to should I need to burst damage a group of enemies. 

by choosing zealous focus and aspirants mark I can skip weapon focus since I am buffing the whole parties accuracy and debuffing the enemies deflection. Talent points sparred at more effective talents! More bang for the buck I would say. 

Edited by ottffsse
  • Like 3

I'm going to sound ignorant here, but what is "Wrath of the Five Suns"?  I have Pallegina in my current party (all at level 15), and it doesn't ring a bell.

EDIT: I have WM1 and WM2 installed...

Edited by Crucis

I'm going to sound ignorant here, but what is "Wrath of the Five Suns"?  I have Pallegina in my current party (all at level 15), and it doesn't ring a bell.

EDIT: I have WM1 and WM2 installed...

It is a talent you can select ONLY if you choose SWORN ENEMY as one of her abilities since it upgrades SWORN ENEMY much like instense flames upgrades flames of devotion. 

It modifies sworn enemy in that whenever Pallgina uses it she shoots 5 projectiles each with 10dr bypass which deal 13-20 burn  damage each *so good with scion of flame) and they have +20 accuracy just like FoD.

Sworn enemy is a very good talent btw, it means you can win any tough boss dragon fight basically because there is no save against it. You just have Pallegina sworn enemy a dragon, then she has +15 accuracy against it the whole fight, with a high lore, which I recommend, she can then use any scroll you want (confusion or paralysis) against the boss or dragon and will most like hit it there is at least one active debuff on the dragon. 

Edited by ottffsse

To fit the fire theme, you could try out those gloves from the Knights that creates a (limited duration) greatsword of pure flame.  It does 100% fire damage and could synergize with your goal of a fire paladin and works with scion of flame.

Edited by Braven

To fit the fire theme, you could try out those gloves from the Knights that creates a (limited duration) greatsword of pure flame.  It does 100% fire damage could synergies with your goal of a fire paladin and works with scion of flame. 

true that and it is worth trying, but atm pallegina for all her offensive tools with this build is the character with the best defensive rating in my current party thanks to palladin passives and outworn buckler and cloak of comfort if need be . so yeah she is kinda my primary tank (her plus Zahua actually)  now so I need her with a shield most of the time. and while the priest is the primary heal and buffer in my party currently she serves as a backup should the priest become paralyzed etc. So she is my backup healer and since I am playing on potd ironman I sort of want her with a shield most of the time to provide security in case the priest fails. But as long as everything is running smoothly she can buff, debuff and launch fireballs and swing at things with her sabre. 

You should consider taking Penetrating Shot. Wrath of The Five Suns works with it as does a Cloak of Minor Missiles. I also put on Ryona's Vambraces for another +3 DR bypass and got Lead Spitter early on. Then I took Arms Bearer so that I can fire two FoD Blunderbuss shots: one with Lead Spitter and 11 DR bypass and the other with 8. Most of the time the damage is better than that of an arquebus. Wrath of The Five Suns has 18 DR penetration with this setup. Scolls of Missiles (like Missile Barrage) are totally devastating with her. DR bypass of 18 with 5 or 9 projectiles is just insane. After all the shooting is done I switch to Bittercut (Vile Thorns works with Penetrating Shot and Vambraces) and Outworn Buckler. Another good weapon for her would be the Sabre from the Endless Paths that you can get when you siphon knowledge out of Marwald. It has 3 fireballs/rest which will work with Scion of Flame. The Sun Touched Mail is a nice armor for her because it gives you Sunbeam (3/rest). It's nice because it also works with Scion of Flame and it looks awesome on her. :)

I seldomly have to attack in melee with her because she's like a little fire wizard. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The vambraces are good if you can spare them for pallegina 's they work with wotfs. A blunderbuss is also an option but I did not take it as I need her in the front line more than the back so I took vulnerable attack and not pen shot and use the marking arquebus from the bounty quest instead it is also good and best utilized when you just fire it once at the start of battle. And as I said I take everything with flame damage like amulet of summer solstice except if I'm the fights I want her to really tank more and have cloak of comfort on for extra defense, the sabre from the endless paths and scrolls of burst of summer flame.

The chain armor you mentioned is not quite good as defensively it sucks (crush weak) very bad, and at range if you just keep pallegina in the back the recovery penalty is horrendous. I'd rather use rebels call at that point on her or a robe. For the front line she is definitely better in ryonas breastplate if you can give it to her.

Her defensive stats are quite good later in the game so it is a waste not to put her in the front line though to shield off the squishees.

With the coil of resourcefulness you can quick switch whenever you want. I have her in the front line but still use penetr. shot. She starts by firing off Wrath of the Five Suns and then starts tanking + Sacred Immolation. Whenever an enemy tries to sneak by I just switch to blunderbuss with it's 15 DR bypass and +120% burn damage and he goes *poof*. Then I switch back to tanking mode. The mail is great because it allows you to cast a good fire spell that also blinds in an aoe. The recovery penalty is nothing against that. The weaknesses of mail can be countered with crush-proofed a bit. If the three uses are gone I just put on another armor. I decide which armor to wear before difficult encounters anyway. For example against ogres mail doesn't work so well. Against drakes or dragons it's great.

Holy crap... I just see it in game...

Its insane... But a little bit too powerful in a balance ! Good bye Rogues, hello Pallegina : p

[5 x 13-19]    -10 DR !!?

Without crits its 65 damage insured. More, +20 +15 = +35 of accuracy if my calcul is exact ? : p

With Wizard expose Vulnerabilities or Cipher + critic = good bye to any monster.

Edited by theBalthazar

More of the companions need useful unique things like Vielo Vidorio. Gives a real reason to use a story companion over a custom other than simply for their extra dialogue.

Though it would be nice if we could just alter companion attributes without mods. It'd improve replay value for me.

Though it would be nice if we could just alter companion attributes without mods. It'd improve replay value for me.

I agree with that.

An unic spell for durance, an unic spell for Aloth etc. Could be great.

Pellegina become now the best in-game companion.

Holy crap... I just see it in game...

Its insane... But a little bit too powerful in a balance ! Good bye Rogues, hello Pallegina : p

[5 x 13-19] -10 DR !!?

Without crits its 65 damage insured. More, +20 +15 = +35 of accuracy if my calcul is exact ? : p

With Wizard expose Vulnerabilities + critic = good bye to any monster.

As I said: it works with penetrating shot, too.

Paladins were one of my favorite classes anyway - now there's no reason to hire one or make the MC a paladin: the official companion is the best you can get. ;)

Yeah, maybe Pallegina's attributes aren't perfectly optimized, but her character more than makes up for that, IMO.  And while not optimized, her attributes do seem balanced enough that she can fill a number of different roles: frontline tank, off tank, etc.

And I love her accent!!!  I just wish that her personal quest was a little more involved.

• Like 1

This build is quite interesting, but probably wouldn't work well for me, because of its dependency on all the items with spellbinds.  I rarely use bound spells on items, not because they're not worth using, but because I pretty much never remember to use them.  With my non spellcasters, I tend to stick with whatever weapons they have equipped and with casters, I tend to stick with their spells.  I guess this is why I tend to prefer items that focus on attribute enhancing bonuses over items that have bound spells.  But I can see how people who can and do use bound spells on items could find this a very intriguing build.

This build is quite interesting, but probably wouldn't work well for me, because of its dependency on all the items with spellbinds.  I rarely use bound spells on items, not because they're not worth using, but because I pretty much never remember to use them.  With my non spellcasters, I tend to stick with whatever weapons they have equipped and with casters, I tend to stick with their spells.  I guess this is why I tend to prefer items that focus on attribute enhancing bonuses over items that have bound spells.  But I can see how people who can and do use bound spells on items could find this a very intriguing build.

The only items you really recommend are the sabre with the 3 fireballs and necklace of summer solstice. But even here you can use scrolls of fireball. The best is sort of interesting to get anywhere per encounter ability but it can be replaced by a might belt or something like that.

While I realize that this is a Pallegina build, something about this build positively screams "FIRE GODLIKE"!!!!  :fdevil:

Obviously, a PC build along these lines wouldn't have access to the Pallegina-specific Wrath of the Five Suns ability, but it could still be a very strongly thematic build for a Fire Godlike paladin.  Perhaps of the Darcozzi or Goldpact Knights orders, since those orders each have one class talent that buffs their Flames of Devotion with a further flame based effect (i.e. Darcozzi - small fire shield, Goldpact - a fire DoT).

It could be a very interesting build.

Having said all that, one of the downsides of such narrowly focused elemental builds is that when you encounter enemies that have strong DRs or are immune to that element (in this case, fire), your character may be in a world of hurt unless it has a solid plan B.

Upon further reflection, I think that one could almost have a similar build for Kana or any chanter (PC or merc).  After all, those 3rd level fire chants are EXTREMELY useful.  And as another class that greatly values Lore, a "Fire Chanter" could cast fire spells galore! 

And, of course, a Fire Godlike would be thematically perfect for a Fire Chanter.  :fdevil: