MLB 2016 - Even Year Magic

Hurlshort

Well he is going to hit 3,000 pretty soon, which is basically the MLB benchmark for the HoF.  I actually see that as a bigger deal.  It is awesome that he basically had a big career in two different countries, but it is hard to compare the leagues, and Pete Rose is still going to be the MLB hit leader.  

Weird that thet are including the NPB hits in the total. If any hit is considered a hit then they might as well include hits all the way down to PeeWee league. :lol:

Well he didn't break an actual record by doing this. But I wouldn't speak ill of the NPB too much. It is a major league comparable to MLB  especially considering the other pro leagues in the world. It's definitely a pitchers league though. OPS & ISO are well below MLB averages but their ballparks tend to be bigger too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Rays vs Giants tonight. You boys are going down Hurlshot.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Rays vs Giants tonight. You boys are going down Hurlshot.

I hope you did not bet on that. It is an even year.

Yeah that didn't go well. Samardzija was hot tonight.

Thomas Sowell

The Rays lost in Cleveland 6-0 and never had a runner past 1st base. I hate baseball!

They are f-----g WEAK this year!

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

This Angels @ Red Sox game is off the chart. Most runs scored in Boston since 1980 and it's still top of the seventh.

*most runs by the Angels in Boston since '80, I meant

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize this until recently, but Ichiro has surpassed Will Clark and Barry Bonds as my favorite ballplayer.

A nice profile.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17105389/miami-marlins-ichiro-suzuki-approaches-3000th-major-league-hit

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Rays are up 3-1 in the bottom of the 9th in Oakland. The lost 4-3 just 3 at bats later. Now I see they are talking to the Dodgers about trading Longoria & Archer. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

That press conference was hard to watch. I won't deny I laugh at some of the absurd contracts these GMs give these players around 30 years of age, but you can tell Prince cared deeply. And in the end, he may not have produced on the field like fans wanted him to but... in many other ways he's still worth it.

An RBI double in the 1st an A-Rod got to f--k us on last time: http://m.mlb.com/gameday/rays-vs-yankees/2016/08/12/448596#game=448596,game_state=final,game_tab=

I haven't been following the Rays or Marlins as much since the Olympics started (I'm sort of obsessed with it) and the break has been nice. The Rays are just hard to watch. The struggle to get runners on and leave them there more often than not. The sad thing is Longoria is having a great season. But one guy can't carry a team in baseball. 

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...

To catch up on things... The Red Sox have surged into 1st in the AL East thanks to the Jays losing three in a row. The Indians are five games up over Detroit. Texas is dominating the AL West despite losing last night (I watched that game).

The Nats lost Strasburg (again) yesterday but are still in control of the NL East. The Cubs have an insurmountable lead in the Central and the Dodgers are winning inspite of themselves in the NL West. The Giants have the opposite problem.

It's a six team race for the WC in the AL with the Blue Jays in front but facing a tough schedule. It's a three team race in the NL with the Giants, Cards & Mets in a virtual dead heat.

The Rays will be eliminated from playoff contention if they lose three more games (or the 2nd wild card team reaches 80 wins whichever happens first)  and the Marlins lost their hopes when they lost Stanton.

Oh, and Tim Tebow signs a minor league deal with the Mets that includes a ticket to the Arizona Fall League and Spring Training. To quote Mel Allen "How about that"

Thomas Sowell

If you just pitched 7.5 perfect innings and your manager pulls you because of a blister, wouldn't you be pissed? This guy was six outs from a perfect game. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bullpen-blows-rich-hills-perfect-game-bid-in-a-case-of-dodgers-deja-vu/

Thomas Sowell

That's a big problem with modern baseball/sports/managing. They are very tight with stuff like this and they treat people like robots. As far as I'm concerned, barrinmg a serious injury or the pitcher himself aksing to be taken out, you keep the pitcher in there when they ar epitching a brilliant game. COME ON. EVIL NAZISM IS EVIL NAZISM.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Vin Scully has said no to doing any post season games. His last game as the Dodgers play by play will be October 2, I do hope it's broadcast nationally. I'd love to hear him one more time. I'm regretting not renewing my MLB Field Pass subscription. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201163088/vin-scully-announces-final-game-will-be-oct-2/

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

When Jake Smith was 17 years old he was a groundskeeper at Lake Olmstead Stadium in Augusta GA. That is the home of the Augusta Greenjackets of the South Atlantic League of minor league baseball. They are a "low A" affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. One fateful day he begged the Giants staff at Augusta for a pitching workout. They granted him one and he was drafted by the Giants in the 48th round the following year. 48th rd picks usually do not see an inning in the majors so it was no surprise when the Giants released him after reaching as high as AA in Richmond VA. 

But that is not the end of the story. He was picked up again by the Padres on a 10 day contract. Basically it's what they call a Look-and-See contract. They sent him to the Arizona Summer League, as far away from the Majors as you can get in affiliated ball. But he succeeded. They promoted him to San Antonio and he still pitched well. Finally after the MiLB seasons ended he was called up to a Padres team long out of the running and ravaged by trades and injuries. But it didn't matter he was in the Show at last. And then he got his first call to the mound for the Padres on Tuesday night. He was nervous at first and walked the first two batters he faced. He then forced a pop fly out and a double play grounder to retire the side and earn his first Major League win.... against the San Francisco Giants.

How can you not be romantic about baseball? 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell