MLB 2016 - Even Year Magic

Hurlshort

Spring Training is on, so it is time for a new baseball thread.  I look forward to the Giants barely making the playoffs and then upsetting every contender to win the world series once again due to grit and perfectly executed bullpen moves.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I usually make a division by division prediction post but nuts to that. I'm always wrong and I think I've been the one jinxing the Nat's by picking them to win it all. I've got nothing against them. So, here is my take:

NL East: Mets

NL Central Cubs

NL West: Giants

NL WC: Cardianals

NL WC: Marlins

AL East: Blue Jays

AL Central: Royals

AL West: Astros

AL WC: Rangers

AL WC: Rays

World Series: Giants defeat Astros in 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Whoops. Posted on the wrong thread.

So how about them A's? We haven't traded away any MVP and CY Young candidates in several consecutive months!

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The Twins ponied up $24M to buy this guy from the Korean League. KBO players don't do well in the MLB as a rule. But this dude might be the exception: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/166391166/byung-ho-park-delivers-grand-slam-in-twins-win

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Not sure what the story is with this whole Cactus League thing, but the Padres are 3-9 so far. Couldn't suck less if they were in the Succulent League. 

On the other hand, new manager Andy Green is a stat-filled leader of men ... there's kind of a halo of optimism surrounding him. Could be a mirage. 

All Stop. On Screen.

What the Padres did last year was push all their chips into the center of the table and try to draw into an inside straight. It's a tough thing to come back from but there is still some talent there. If they were in a different division it would be easier but with the D-Backs no reloaded and the Giants and Dodgers fighting it out for first it will be tough. But at least you get 19 chances to beat up on the Rockies.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Wow the Mets are showing Ruben Tejada the door. This Mets team is going to have a new look to it: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/167542092/mets-place-ruben-tejada-on-waivers

Thomas Sowell

Bonds was a great player before he got on the juice. It didn't make him a great player, it just made him a great player longer than he should have been. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

If McGwire had stayed off the juice his career would have ended in Oakland due to chronic back problems. It sucks that some of Baseballs most venerated records are being held by players who cheated. But keeping them out of the hall, making believe that the feats didn't happen at all while they are still in the record books is repaying a wrong with another wrong. Letting them in is bad but it's less bad than pretending they never existed.  

Thomas Sowell

Well...to be fair, the juice turned Barry Bonds from the greatest player of his generation and one of the best players of all time...to...Bo Jackson on steroids in Tecmo Bowl --except he's hitting baseballs like the Thing when it's CLOBBERIN' TIME.

Thing.Wolv.jpg_600.jpg

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

:lol:  Yeah there was nothing going on here!

barry-bonds-before-and-after-steroids..j

Thomas Sowell

Those numbers...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml#batting_standard::none

Really, no one else can compare except for Ruth, Gehrig, and Ted Williams (maybe Musial too)...and they played the first half of the last century. Closest comparables after the Korean War are Mays and Mantle.

The thing with Bonds is you can greatly diminish the power aspect and he is still one of the greatest.  He was a great fielder, runner, he hit for average, he had the best eye for the strike zone, etc.  

The Simpsons: Lisa's Substitute (#2.19)" (1991)

Martin Prince: As your president, (commissioner) I would demand a science-fiction library Hall of Fame, featuring an ABC of the genre. Asimov A-Rod, Bester Bonds, Clarke Clemens.

Student: What about Ray Bradbury Ken Griffey Jr.?

Martin Prince: I'm aware of his work.

• Like 1

The MLB is running a dating service now. No... seriously: http://www.match.com/cpx/en-us/partner/mlb/channel/?trackingid=528723&bannerid=2813855

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Rays vs Cuba tomorrow at 13:30 EDT. I'm calling in sick just to watch it. Ok, I was calling in sick anyway but it does work out. 

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

"Baseball! Outsiders see a ball, a bat, and maybe a bunch of grown men playing like boys. But you and I see much more. We seen nine men on the diamond working together like a fine tuned machine. We see the kid that walked into the stadium an unknown and walked out as a hero. We see the shower of flashbulbs raining down on the field as greatness steps to the plate. We see the hearts of millions stop as that ball takes flight. We do the rituals, we avoid the jinxes, we try to will our teams to victory, We see how a quarter of an inch can be the difference between a routine fly ball and launching one into the upper deck. It can be the difference between shutting down the side or putting the winning run in scoring position. It can be the difference between agony and glory. We see the how every step as a purpose: win one game, win one series, win the season, become champions of the world. And the first step is today. Now lets play some baseball!"

Tommy Lasorda

Opening day triple header! Cards at the Pirates, Jays at the Rays and a Mets Royals rematch. I know my day is booked solid!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

All three games were great yesterday. Archer had a bad day and still struck out 11. The Royals/Mets game was as good as any in the WS, 

Thomas Sowell