I am lv5 and Sagani has joined my group.

According to the character sheet, Itumak has 10 might but he does tons of damage. I think he has a DR penetration of 8 and he does often up to 40 points of damage. No other char in my group has so high damage numbers.

For many ranger talents, I am not sure if they apply to the ranger, the pet or both.

I think I will keep her in my party because it is nice to have a permanent meat shield that does lots of damage.

I am lv5 and Sagani has joined my group.

According to the character sheet, Itumak has 10 might but he does tons of damage. I think he has a DR penetration of 8 and he does often up to 40 points of damage. No other char in my group has so high damage numbers.

For many ranger talents, I am not sure if they apply to the ranger, the pet or both.

I think I will keep her in my party because it is nice to have a permanent meat shield that does lots of damage.

They have some very powerful talents. There is a +15% +3 DR talent, +30% for flanking and +50% when attacking a DoTed target (Chanter damage song counts). Be even better if it were a Stag.

Give Sagani a Pistol, Swift aim model, Stalker's link (get the ranger Torc in Def bay for +20% damage) and she can hit for 40-50 as well. Wounding Shot can one shot Phantoms and Wisps when used with a Fine Pistol.

Ranger's are really good now and are actually good from level 1 unlike a lot of other classes. Was so impressed I started a new PotD run with a Ranger. So far its the only character that can actually give a Aloth with Chill Fog/Secrets of Rime) a run for his money damage wise. One of the few classes that actually wants to take as many class talents as possible.

So far done all of Temple of Elothas without needing to rest or use items and cleared out the entirety of Raedic's Hold with only 1 rest at level 4.

Edited by Maxzero

According to the character sheet, Itumak has 10 might but he does tons of damage. I think he has a DR penetration of 8 and he does often up to 40 points of damage.

Regarding Might: it is somewhat irrelevant for animal companions, because of the way their damage scales. They gain 5 Accuracy and +20% damage every 3 levels. 

So it is +1.0 to damage coefficient on lvl 15. With Vicious Companion (+0.15), Predatory Sense (+0.5) and Marked Prey (+0.2), difference between 10 and 15 might (i.e. 0.15) would be negligible.

Regarding DR: yeap, they have 5 base DR bypass. And Vicious Companion adds 3 more.

Predator's Sense, Faithful Companion, Resilient Companion and Vicious Companion: for companion only

Stalkers' Link: for ranger only

Marked Prey and Defensive Bond: for both

Edited by MaxQuest

Thanks MaxQuest

Regarding the name of this topic, what is the base damage of an animal companion?

Game mechanics wise they must be equipped with a weapon, lets call it "teeth".

Like an unarmed character is "armed" with his fist (with monks having better "weapons").

You are right, at lv5 I have the talent that gives more damage and DR penetration (vicious companion?) and the one that gives +50% when target has dots (predatory sense?).

Sorry, I play on german so I am not sure about the english names.

Game mechanics wise they must be equipped with a weapon, lets call it "teeth".

Like an unarmed character is "armed" with his fist (with monks having better "weapons").

We can't say of what weapon type their attacks are. It is undocumented. And there is no individual character sheet for the animal companion.

As for base damage:

few damage tests on ranger animal companions..

wolf gets  13-19 base damage (pierce) ..
rest of them  11-17 base damage (pierce) ..   (source game files and a few quick test to check ingame ).. Don't know about attack speeds ..Maybe all same as 2h weapon ?
Edited by MaxQuest

It would be nice if they have actual stats for the animal companion. I would like to know the various differences between stag/bear/boar, etc. Since I don't use ranger player characters.

They added in some per/dex for Sagani's fox, but the other stats are kind of invisible, you have to check the log in combat.

Edited by Ymarsakar

It would be nice if they have actual stats for the animal companion. I would like to know the various differences between stag/bear/boar, etc. Since I don't use ranger player characters.

They added in some per/dex for Sagani's fox, but the other stats are kind of invisible, you have to check the log in combat.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Animal_Companion

Should have all the stats.