Since the game is out for some time now and all items have been found, I think it would be interesting to discuss what items do you think are worth enchanting to legendary...

Here are my choices:

1. shield - Little Savior - really no brainer here (if your main is a paladin the Worn Buckler works too and Eder keeps the superb Little Savior)

2. 1h weapon - Drawn in Spring - might not look like one, but it's another no brainer (if you look for pure dps forget sabres/axes and duplicate Drawn in Spring once it is legendary/durgan enchanted)

3.  ranged weapon - Persistence - no brainer again...

4. 2h weapon - Tidefall wins even if we have more worthy candidates here - wounding and drain benefit the most from higher damage

5. armor - here I think it's hard to pick one - most unique armors have their slots wasted on useless enchantments and it really depends on the class you play; the most obvious are plate for tanks and robes for ranged dps; for melee dps it really depends on your play style...

• Like 2

For armor probably coat of ill payment, white crest suite, vengiatta rugia. Those are the best armors in the game with angio gambeson and blaidh Golan as honorable mentions. Vengiatta is already superb though so in general it's best to enchant something that is not even superb yet.

For weapons I imagine a legendary lead spitter could one shot lots of things on certain builds.

Do you have more insight to share on why you think Drawn in Spring and Persistence are so good?

The reason is the wounding enchantment.

Let's take a simplistic example:

Sabre does 16dmg (base) + 4dmg (lash) = 20dmg every 3s (2s if DW)

Dagger does 11dmg (base) + 2.8dmg (lash) + 3.4dmg (wound) = 17.2dmg every 2s (1.4s if DW)

The dagger does nearly the same damage as the sabre while swinging faster and being less affected by DR. Same with Persistence...

• Like 1

^ And the best thing is that those x0.25 do actually scale with your final damage.

Btw, two questions:

- does wounding stack with itself? It deals damage over 5s, and you attack usually way faster than that.

- is Persistence good on anyone except ranged rogue?

Regarding other items, I suppose everything except aforementioned Little Saviour (which is a must) is somewhat situational, and depends on your party composition. (i.e. if you have someone to make use of them, or not)

Anyway I find worthwhile the following:

- Cladhalíath - because you get two enchants, and you have the ability to chose them yourself. For example could be great on a pure tank with maxed perception, if you go for stuns on crits and conditional acc. Not to mention that as a spear it inherently has +5 acc bonus.

- Badgradr's Barricade - can be awesome once bash will get fixed and will start procing carnage. Imagine this shield with Cladhalíath on a barbarian :)

- Wē Toki - for a crit-oriented dps barbarian

- Tall Grass - for a midline barbarian

- Spelltongue - if you have a good use for it's shenanigans

- Borresaine - I love perma-stunning enemy wizards and archers. And if one alternates targets, he can keep stunned even 2 or 3 targets at a time. 

- Sabra Marie - if it has enough enchanting slots left is a no-brainer as well.

- Rod of Pale Shades / Golden Haze - if you have a control wizard with maxed dex, per and int. Stunning/debuffing everyone in aoe just from auto-attacking is pretty nice.

- Old Gerun's Wall - for a high DR tank being grazed is almost like being missed. So it's like instant +10% to survivability.

- Aedrin's Wrecker - great paladin weapon. FoDs almost guarantee a stun.

- Strike Hard/The Vile Loner's Lance - are good tank weapons, if their bearer doesn't have a stellar acc to go for weapons with on-crit procs.

- Resolution/Purgatory - top choices for a dw rogue/dps fighter.

- Vengiatta Rugia - has some good potential for a melee cipher.

- Argwes Adra - decent on a tank with Revival scrolls. Even if the whole party was whipped you have a chance for round two.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Drawn in Spring and Persistence are the best. My tests indicates that they deal more than 25% raw damage actually, and the damage over time effect isn't replaced by the one from next hit so enemys will always get all of it. If you add attack speed and potential interrupts(to you...) into consideration Drawn in Spring is superior weapon, it offers better dps to both low and high DR targets than anything else.

When it comes to shield I think that Aila Braccia is the best one.

• Like 1

^ And the best thing is that those x0.25 do actually scale with your final damage.

Btw, two questions:

- does wounding stack with itself? It deals damage over 5s, and you attack usually way faster than that.

- is Persistence good on anyone except ranged rogue?

Yes, Wounding stacks with itself. Persistence is the best dps ranged weapon for all classes, including rogues. Rogues however can sacrifice some dps for more utility (ie on crit effects). And personally I wouldn't bother with weapons with on crit effects on other class than rogue... 

• Like 1

Persistence is the best dps ranged weapon for all classes, including rogues. Rogues however can sacrifice some dps for more utility (ie on crit effects). And personally I wouldn't bother with weapons with on crit effects on other class than rogue...

I have expressed myself wrong. I am trying to figure out on which class it is that good, as to be considered best in slot; and if it is worth to make a build around it.

- barbarians and monks are out of question

- wizard would be better with implements or summoned weapons if he would go for auto-attacking

Who else?

- priest? No. Priest usually spends quite a lot of time just buffing. Also there is no priest +10acc talent for hunting bow.

- paladin? No. To make best use of FoD and Runner's Wounding Shot, he'd better be with a slower weapon, like Dulcanale or at least Wendgär. Also it's the nature of the class which almost screams: utility! So Aedrin's Wrecker would also be a great option. Pala feeks just right as alpha-strike dps'er in fast fights, which transitions into half-support role the longer fight's duration gets.

- chanter? No. because this means placing him in backline. Giving up a big part of Dragon Thrashed aoe. And I suppose the bow will show itself poorly against high DR, provided chanter doesn't have damage increasing talents/abilities.

- ranger? Maybe. It actually could be good on him. But than again: you can't enable Vicious Aim simultaneously with Twin Arrows. And lack of extra damage coefficients will be quite felt on tougher enemies. Although yes, it's still a decent choice for a second ranger. (the first one will get Stormcaller anyway)

- cipher? Yes. +0.4 from soul whips plus DR reducing powers if need-be, synergies quite well with this bow. The only thing that saddens me is that wounding doesn't generate focus. Also.. borresaine procs way too often for me to pass it's utility.

- fighter? actually Yes. This class has so many damage/acc increasing abilities. And he can get away with almost dumped res&con due to other defensive talents he can pick.

- rogue? Yes. With sneak attacks and higher hit to crit conversion, you have enough dmg coefficients to bypass high DR even with hunting bow's low base damage. And.. wounding deals x0.25 from the final damage. Best scaling ever.

Edited by MaxQuest

Actually a ranger with persistence and a wolf (skilled for damage) is very good. You are auto-enabling Predator's Sense all the time and with Stalker's Torc you also have at least one +20% damage mod for ranger and pet.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

^ True that. Chanter with dragon-thrashed and wounding shots could aid too (and many other things as well),... but with dot built into weapon it's less of hassle. I like it original.gif

The remaining thing that puzzles me is: small base damage still won't let you utilize wounding shots to full potential, and perhaps... I shouldn't be that lazy when it comes to quick-switching.

P.S. Small correction regarding Stalker's Link: it seems to add acc / dmg(if with torc) only to ranger himself. Although for the pet it's not such a big deal on higher levels (300% or 320%), with the way his damage scales.

Edited by MaxQuest

Is drawn in spring really that much better dps than dual sabres? Even on low DR? I like to run a dual barb setup and try to mix-max for dps. Wondering now if I should reload an old save and dupe that dagger instead...

I find even before time parasite at about level 11 now a ranged cipher is still best with rain of gadogh field in hand. That 1,15 x 1,20 speed coefficient from that weapon durganized and a higher base damage from war bows (I do about 50-60 damage on one shot, 70-80 on a crit) means you attack fast plus your weapon has a big enough damage pop to generate tons of focus which is after all the most important thing for a cipher. Basically I am back to the situation where I can spam amplified wave again if I choose to (not that I would all the time because of buffs to other spells and prone enemy immunity - in certain battles raw damage from silent scream etc is really better plus it stuns). AND that is without having draining whip, just with that unconquerable amulet.

Is drawn in spring really that much better dps than dual sabres? Even on low DR? I like to run a dual barb setup and try to mix-max for dps. Wondering now if I should reload an old save and dupe that dagger instead...

The differences aren't never huge of course - they vary depending on buffs/enemies. You can always use the console to dupe them and try them first.

I find even before time parasite at about level 11 now a ranged cipher is still best with rain of gadogh field in hand. That 1,15 x 1,20 speed coefficient from that weapon durganized and a higher base damage from war bows (I do about 50-60 damage on one shot, 70-80 on a crit) means you attack fast plus your weapon has a big enough damage pop to generate tons of focus which is after all the most important thing for a cipher. Basically I am back to the situation where I can spam amplified wave again if I choose to (not that I would all the time because of buffs to other spells and prone enemy immunity - in certain battles raw damage from silent scream etc is really better plus it stuns). AND that is without having draining whip, just with that unconquerable amulet.

Yes, the weapons I listed are the best just from a dps point of view. In the case of the cypher that dps doesn't mean also the best focus generator because of the wounds. That was the purpose of this thread, to share your point of view, because the best dps doesn't mean always the best weapon. 
Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

I will probably try Tall grass this time - not sure if its worth it though, it seems to work just fine upgraded to superior. But it's wicked on a barbarian. I seem to get prone more reliably with it than We Toki - probably because of the reach which makes it much easier especially if you have 4 frontliners.

I'd agree Persistence is a no brainer though only if you have a Ranger.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Just remembered, Vile Loners lance might be worth it if you use Boeroers interrupt barbarian.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

I will probably try Tall grass this time - not sure if its worth it though, it seems to work just fine upgraded to superior. But it's wicked on a barbarian. I seem to get prone more reliably with it than We Toki - probably because of the reach which makes it much easier especially if you have 4 frontliners.

It's because Tall Grass has 10% Hit to Crit chance and with durgan enchantment it becomes 25%.

• Like 1

Speed is also very important for DPS, because it is exponentially better the more you have. It takes a lot more work and items with non-speed dual weapons to get there. However if you can manage zero-recovery bar with stackable double (thanks to wax) single handed wounding weapons, that must be best. The reason for dual weapons being better is because the 20% attack speed talent makes it much easier to reach top speed. Also the offhand Durgan helps more than it probably should because it is not applied additively, but rather multiplied.

Is drawn in spring the only 1 handed wounding weapon? (So wax is needed for dual weapon wounding)

Dual wielding dagger ranger would be best since you can flank off the wolf and the pet also has tons of damage modifiers because all of your "situational" passive abilities will trigger all the time. Also, swift aim boosts melee speed and has no duration limits.

Edited by Braven

^ durgan had +20% conversion, last I checked.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's because Tall Grass has 10% Hit to Crit chance and with durgan enchantment it becomes 25%.

Ok, thanks, I thought I was going mad, there was a constant "I'm sure tall grass prones more" feeling. Maybe I should read the descriptions more carefully!

Lord of Light

does the conversion also stack of you dual wield Durgan steel weapons? Effectively granting 40% conversion for both weapons.

It's per weapon the crit chance is calculated separately per weapon (the crit chance is calculated when you land a hit with that specific weapon with the durgan enchantment, not any weapon).

It stacks with Dire Blessing, though, so if you have a Priest handy you can still get 40% on both weapons.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Legendary is not really such a big step from superior and once you can get it legit what's left to kill in the game anyways?

Superior + durganized is pretty sweet already.

As for duping items with helwax I made lead spitter superior + durganized and dupped it. Best resource investment imo as you get 2 superior versions of the hardest one shot hitting weapon in the game - a blunderbuss with extra dr rending. Two gunshots on my cipher and focus is maxed at 160. Go crazy by casting reaping knives + defensive mindweb immediately if need be.

Legendary is not really such a big step from superior and once you can get it legit what's left to kill in the game anyways?

Superior + durganized is pretty sweet already.

As for duping items with helwax I made lead spitter superior + durganized and dupped it. Best resource investment imo as you get 2 superior versions of the hardest one shot hitting weapon in the game - a blunderbuss with extra dr rending. Two gunshots on my cipher and focus is maxed at 160. Go crazy by casting reaping knives + defensive mindweb immediately if need be.

Personally I will try to get my hands on legendary enchantments as soon as possible in ch.2 and enjoy my power for the rest of the game...  :grin: